GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Week BEFORE July 1: Go!

+14
Flo The Action
TheAvatar
DefenceWinsChampionships
SeawaySensFan
spader
Hoags
SensHulk
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
shabbs
wprager
Ev
DirtyDave
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We'll see Rooney. I'm in the same camp that wants to give him a shot with MacLean + assistants, but we have very few spots open - and at this point, if we can trade Kuba, he makes the most sense to go.

17The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:08 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:We'll see Rooney. I'm in the same camp that wants to give him a shot with MacLean + assistants, but we have very few spots open - and at this point, if we can trade Kuba, he makes the most sense to go.

I agree he seems like the logical odd man out. But I'm just saying the flack he's been taking around here for a calendar year is rather misplaced.

18The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I agree he seems like the logical odd man out. But I'm just saying the flack he's been taking around here for a calendar year is rather misplaced.

I agree. I did take him a LONG time to get back up to speed though, but yes, he had a terrible calender year last year.

19The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He was out per-game ice time leader in 2009-10. Not saying he's going to do that this year, but he's not Redden yet.

20The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I agree. I did take him a LONG time to get back up to speed though, but yes, he had a terrible calender year last year.

People look for villains and scape goats too often. Kuba is still a useful player in the NHL, either on this team or on another. This whole team sucked Donkey for 5 solid months last year -- singling someone out as particularly bad seems like an exercise in redundancy.

21The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

People look for villains and scape goats too often. Kuba is still a useful player in the NHL, either on this team or on another. This whole team sucked Donkey for 5 solid months last year -- singling someone out as particularly bad seems like an exercise in redundancy.

I hope so, he didn't look great defensively at any point last year. He improved his passing a lot, better outlets, but when in the defensive zone, he was weak all year. I hope he trains hard this off season, he'll need it to keep up at this point.

22The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:42 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

IMO, its a little premature to assume both Cowen and Rundblad are ready for prime-time. yeah they're gained great amounts of experience but I think it would be wise to hold onto Kuba at least for a portion of the season. That will give one of Cowen or Rundblad (or both) experience in the AHL and make it easier to trade Kuba to a team that runs into injury problems and such.

Besides like ppl have mentioned, Kuba can still be serviceable, he seemed to find his game again towards the end of the season

23The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Godd I hope it's Carkner. Useless.

u have gotta be kidding me.....I know he's no Kris Letang but he's still very useful. Hell he's a better d-man than schubert. The guy can actually play defence and fight. Who cares if he's not as fast as others? He's still serviceable.

24The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I hope they just sign a backup goalie. If they sign a 2C then Zib is going to the SEL for sure.

Get as many of the up and comers in. We can always wait til August and see who is left.

25The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Godd I hope it's Carkner. Useless.

u have gotta be kidding me.....I know he's no Kris Letang but he's still very useful. Hell he's a better d-man than schubert. The guy can actually play defence and fight. Who cares if he's not as fast as others? He's still serviceable.

He's a goon, plain and simple. Can be replaced by Cowen, he fights and plays D.

and it's the bad guys like him who we still need to get rid of from this team. Him and Winchester are the two bad apples in an otherwise promising bunch.

26The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
and it's the bad guys like him who we still need to get rid of from this team. Him and Winchester are the two bad apples in an otherwise promising bunch.

If Cowen fights we lose him for 5+ minutes, if we lose Carkner for 5 minutes whoopdie doo.

Although I see your point.

How is Winchester a bad apple ?

27The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I dunno, I just hear his name and think back to the awful seasons we have had recently Laugh1

28The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

If Cowen fights we lose him for 5+ minutes, if we lose Carkner for 5 minutes whoopdie doo.

Although I see your point.

How is Winchester a bad apple ?

Are you new here? Don't let the suit and tie fool you, it's still the same Big Ev.

29The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Fair enough, but I'd love to see him move to Florida. Ottawa can get a 3rd or whatever, and we free up some spots for the youth movement. I'm not saying that he's to blame for the crappy year, but I don't think he was ever a fit here. Teams that are looking to his the cap floor should take a look at him for the reasons that you outlined above.

30The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:03 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:I dunno, I just hear his name and think back to the awful seasons we have had recently Laugh1
Big Ev only deals in facts. Facepalm

31The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

from Elliotte Friedman of CBC,

• A couple of things to remember as free agency begins. First, teams can go over the max by 10 per cent (that’s $6.43 million during the offseason). Second, all bonuses count immediately against the cap next season (whether they are reached or not), and that’s how some lower-spending teams will hit the floor.

• Half the league is convinced the Flyers are going after Brad Richards - hard. (I’m still wondering about Detroit making a run at him, especially since Valtterri Filppula appears available in a trade.)

• One Western coach said the trade was the best thing for Regehr: “He’ll be re-energized and better.” Several players who’ve gone from West to East add that kind of move can extend your career, because the travel is so much easier and the play is not as physical.

32The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So, scratch off Brooks Laich and Kevin Bieksa so far.

33The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PS, if Freidman is accurate and Fillipula is available, hopefully the Sens are after him hard. He's look good on our 2nd line IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum