GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which rookie (or non-established player) will have the biggest impact for the Sens next year?

+6
Ev
tim1_2
Hoags
sandysensfan
spader
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not counting the 1st round pick right now:

Colin Greening
Erik Condra
Bobby Butler
Zack Smith
Stephan Da Costa
Jared Cowen
David Rundblad
Jakob Silfverberg
Eric Gryba
Patrick Wiercioch
Roman Wick
Other!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Butler or Cowen...tough call.

I think Butler is gonna be a 25 goal guy IF he gets stronger over the summer and busts his Donkey. He certainly demonstrated an ability to put pucks in nets and I think that'll continue.

I expect Cowen to come in (possibly mid-season) and, while there will be an adjustment period, I think he'll be a stabilizing force.

I think Greening and Condra will both have Kelly-esque impacts. That is, they'll both play hard, solid defensive games. I think they both have slightly higher point production potential, so we'll see.

Smith will do what he does best. He'll come in as a 3rd or 4th line center and continue to play a physical game. I hope he opens up a bit and scores a few goals cause I think he has the ability.

Da Costa is a bit of a wild card. He seems to have the skill, but I think he needs to get stronger over the summer. He may or may not start with the big club. I think he needs to be consistent to stick around and he may not.

Rundblad is a wild card too. He may start in the AHL as well. He can't be as dominating (right away at least) in the NHL as he was in the SEL, but I think he'll have a solid season.

Silfverberg, IMO, will come in and play well. I think we can expect decent numbers. Dorion sounded confident that he'd come in and perform.

Gryba/Wick/Wiercioch will all start in the AHL and be high on the callup list.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Butler...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:Butler or Cowen...tough call.

I think Butler is gonna be a 25 goal guy IF he gets stronger over the summer and busts his Donkey. He certainly demonstrated an ability to put pucks in nets and I think that'll continue.

I expect Cowen to come in (possibly mid-season) and, while there will be an adjustment period, I think he'll be a stabilizing force.

I think Greening and Condra will both have Kelly-esque impacts. That is, they'll both play hard, solid defensive games. I think they both have slightly higher point production potential, so we'll see.

Smith will do what he does best. He'll come in as a 3rd or 4th line center and continue to play a physical game. I hope he opens up a bit and scores a few goals cause I think he has the ability.

Da Costa is a bit of a wild card. He seems to have the skill, but I think he needs to get stronger over the summer. He may or may not start with the big club. I think he needs to be consistent to stick around and he may not.

Rundblad is a wild card too. He may start in the AHL as well. He can't be as dominating (right away at least) in the NHL as he was in the SEL, but I think he'll have a solid season.

Silfverberg, IMO, will come in and play well. I think we can expect decent numbers. Dorion sounded confident that he'd come in and perform.

Gryba/Wick/Wiercioch will all start in the AHL and be high on the callup list.

Sounds pretty fair. I'll say Butler or Rundblad, but Butler has some experience now, so if he builds his core a bit, I think he can score 20+.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Sounds pretty fair. I'll say Butler or Rundblad, but Butler has some experience now, so if he builds his core a bit, I think he can score 20+.

Agreed. I think (HOPE) that he'll be a 20-goal guy. I think he has potential to be a 30-goal guy, but I can't imagine him realizing it right away.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Butler - no contest

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Greening. 15-20 goal guy who plays 3rd line minutes. He's the man.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Greening. 15-20 goal guy who plays 3rd line minutes. He's the man.

Love the 'Newfie Flash'... but for skill I'd say Butler will have the better year. After all, he will be (or should be) the one playing with Spezza.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ruslan Bashkirov

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Sadly my first thought was Butler but in a negative way. He could be put in a role he is not ready for and buckle under the pressure that comes early in a season. He could require a stretch in the minors to regain confidence like so many in their first full year.

I still think he is a good prospect but he is far from a lock at as a 25 goal man at this point of his career.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cowen, if he makes the roster out of camp.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:Sadly my first thought was Butler but in a negative way. He could be put in a role he is not ready for and buckle under the pressure that comes early in a season. He could require a stretch in the minors to regain confidence like so many in their first full year.

I still think he is a good prospect but he is far from a lock at as a 25 goal man at this point of his career.

It's totally possible that he Regins a bit. I certainly hope not.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He was on pace for 20 goals or whatever, but he was playing top 6 minutes. If he plays 3rd line minutes we'll have to temper our expectations in a big way offensively.

I'm a big fan of Greening's though, I think he could become the best NHLer out of all the youngsters - perhaps minus Silfverberg and perhaps Butler, but he brings a mix of skill, size, smarts and speed that make him quite tantalizing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

He was on pace for 20 goals or whatever, but he was playing top 6 minutes. If he plays 3rd line minutes we'll have to temper our expectations in a big way offensively.

I'm a big fan of Greening's though, I think he could become the best NHLer out of all the youngsters - perhaps minus Silfverberg and perhaps Butler, but he brings a mix of skill, size, smarts and speed that make him quite tantalizing.

Size and speed. Not sure what you mean by smarts -- what has he done to show it? Also, how is his skill? Speed and size is certainly great, plus he's got a booming shot, I think. But how's his skill (skating agility, stick handling, shot accuracy)?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Size and speed. Not sure what you mean by smarts -- what has he done to show it? Also, how is his skill? Speed and size is certainly great, plus he's got a booming shot, I think. But how's his skill (skating agility, stick handling, shot accuracy)?

I equate smarts to being at the right place at the right time and making good, solid plays - and I can't recall Greening having too many turnovers or being in the wrong place too much.

His skill is probably middle of the road, but when combined with the size, speed and smarts, you get a 15-20 goal guy eventually (hopefully).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum