GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What? Play him as a forward!?

+8
SensHulk
cash
Ev
CockRoche
asq2
stempniaksen
Hoags
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:03 pm

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
So let's stop his growth as a premier defenceman and start the project of converting him to a forward.

If it doesn't work, oh well, we've only lost a year of his development as a defenceman and added some bad habits to his original body of work.

We're being hypothetical here. Obviously, Karlsson's a big time D-man of the future here in Ottawa. In this fantasy, there would have to be an indicator to the coaching staff that he could utilize his smarts on ice to be a shifty, fast winger - a la Giroux I would guess. It wouldn't just happen, they would have to see things that they thought would immediately translate into a wing position.

It was just a musing anyway. Probably because we were coasting into Philly and I have a man-crush on little Giroux - who reminds me of Karlsson at forward. Laugh1

No, you are being silly; and I am trying to put a stop to it.

Dude, lighten up a little. He's just asking this for fun.

It's a question that gets asked a lot with smaller, fast, offensive-defensemen. Some people have been saying Mike Green should be a forward for years.

Obviously I think he would be better at defense, as he likes to take the puck all the way from behind the net and rush with it, but if we were in an emergency situation it wouldn't hurt to try him out at forward. Mark Streit went from defense to forward and vice versa all the time when he was with the Habs.

Haha, you added some to your original post.

I think SpezDispenser knows where I'm coming from, no harm intended. He said he was interested in hearing everybody's opinion, I'm just giving mine. Nothing more.

17What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:05 pm

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

As Big Ev said, there's more than a few guys who have made very successful transitions from D to F, or play both positions. Mark Streit is a guy that immediately came to mind as someone who adapts well to either, but has become a very solid, point producing D-man. Dustin Byfuglien is another young guy who comes to mind, as does Brent Burns.

This is basically for conversation only as the Sens wouldn't dream of it I'm sure, but we now understand that you oppose the idea (as most do it seems), I think that was clear. Thanks for the input! Smile

Thanks. I know you like to hear everybody's opinion on here, especially when it is your question, I just gave mine.

18What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, it was well said.

I understand where people in this thread are coming from for sure. We have a wonderful, puck-rushing D-man, why compromise that in any way.

19What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, it was well said.

I understand where people in this thread are coming from for sure. We have a wonderful, puck-rushing D-man, why compromise that in any way.

His defence isn't to shabby either don't forget.

20What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:

Yeah, it's coming along.

21What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Yeah, it's coming along.

70 something games into his NHL career, that is all we can ask. Remarkable if you ask me.

There has to be a prolonged slump coming sooner or later and I hope he doesn't get the backlash he got at the start of this season when it happens. I fear the worst though from Sens media and fans.

22What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I always edit my posts after...people are too quick to reply I guess haha.

23What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
70 something games into his NHL career, that is all we can ask. Remarkable if you ask me.

There has to be a prolonged slump coming sooner or later and I hope he doesn't get the backlash he got at the start of this season when it happens. I fear the worst though from Sens media and fans.

He'll be fine IMO, just based on the smarts he has. He would have been given more time to shake out of what he went through at the beginning, but I think they would have sent him for a bit of a 'conditioning stint' if he had kept it up too much longer.

24What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

As Big Ev said, there's more than a few guys who have made very successful transitions from D to F, or play both positions. Mark Streit is a guy that immediately came to mind as someone who adapts well to either, but has become a very solid, point producing D-man. Dustin Byfuglien is another young guy who comes to mind, as does Brent Burns.

This is basically for conversation only as the Sens wouldn't dream of it I'm sure, but we now understand that you oppose the idea (as most do it seems), I think that was clear. Thanks for the input! Smile

And what's the common thread? Oh ya, all 3 of those guys have had more success on defence than up front Sarcasm

I get your point, but we have something special on our hands, no need to mess around with it, lol.

25What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:It's a question that gets asked a lot with smaller, fast, offensive-defensemen. Some people have been saying Mike Green should be a forward for years.

Laugh1 Actually, most of them say he is a forward.

26What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:06 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah I do pretty much think Green is a forward lol.

27What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

At this point in the thread it's totally unnecessary for me to say this, but I'm going to anyways: Bad, Bad, BAD idea. It would be an interesting experiment, but there are some players you don't experiment with. Let's turn Spezza into a D-man, while we're at it...his size and top-end speed almost guarantee he'll be the next Bouwmeester Sarcasm Sarcasm (that's a double Sarcasm because nobody wants the next Bouwmeester).

28What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Well SpezD, I hope you learned something today.

What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness

29What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laugh1 I learned all right.

30What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

We were just trying to keep him honest.

If Karlsson plays one second at forward, I swear if

"You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

31What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There are a LOT of people picking up on this idea now. Gary Galley mentioned it, Jason York mentioned it, I've heard fans talking about it. We'll see if they give him a shot, I didn't put the idea out there for fun, I put it out there because I think Karlsson could do it - now we'll see if Sens management tries it.

32What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:10 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

this would be a new low for our forward ranks if the likes of a d-man needs to play forward to provide offence. and either way, i don't think it would work.

Cuss we're a sad sack

33What?  Play him as a forward!? - Page 2 Empty Re: What? Play him as a forward!? Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh, we're at a new low, make no mistake.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum