GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators: Set on D? Forward Next?

+5
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
shabbs
Phoenix30
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 7:52 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Ottawa Sun's Chris Stevenson suggests the Senators are turning their attention to getting a forward now that Erik Karlsson is signed.

As for who that might be, the rumours about Mike Cammalleri have already started.

From today's edition:

---
Defence rests for Senators

Murray can turn attention to adding forward with Karlsson signed, giving Ottawa eight blueliners under contract

By CHRIS STEVENSON, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 8th May 2009, 2:16am

Bryan Murray crossed one item off his "To Do List" yesterday with the signing of prospect defenceman Erik Karlsson, the Senators' first-round pick in last year's draft.

Now the Senators GM is turning toward more pressing matters: Finding another couple of forwards, including one who can play on the first two lines.

A third-line guy could be winger Chris Neil, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, but Murray has pretty much run out of hope he can get the tough winger, who turns 30 next month, in the fold and avoid him hitting the market.

"It sounds that way," Murray said from Switzerland, where he's attending the world championship. "We haven't talked for a while. They're asking for a little less, but not much, and I moved (up), but not much. We'll probably talk again.

"Finding a top-six forward is what the agenda is now. We'll probably have to wait until July 1 and find out who's interested in coming our way and what the cost would be."

Barring a trade, Murray doesn't have room to do anything more on the blue line.

Karlsson's signing to an entry-level deal yesterday brings to eight the number of defencemen under contract for next season (Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Jason Smith, Anton Volchenkov, Alexandre Picard, Brian Lee and Chris Campoli) and that doesn't include Christoph Schubert, who played most of last season up front, or Brendan Bell, who will be a restricted free agent July 1.

Whether Karlsson, the 15th pick in the draft last summer, fits into the mix at the NHL level is a big question mark.

Size is an issue for Karlsson. He's listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 lbs. and both are exaggerations.

"His head and hands are terrific, but the question is can he handle the every day traffic in the NHL?" wondered Murray.

Karlsson, who turns 19 next month, completed his second season with the Frolunda HC Indians of the Swedish elite league with five goals and five assists in 45 games.

He left a good impression on Senators fans who saw him at the world junior championship here in December and January. He was selected the tournament's top defenceman and tied for the lead in defencemen scoring with two goals and seven assists in six games.

He seems to have carried that momentum over to the rest of the season with Frolunda.

Murray said he spoke to Sweden's national team coach, Bengt Gustafsson, who said Karlsson played well in the last couple of months of the Indians' season.

"Based on that, I think there's a good chance (he could play in the NHL next season)," said Murray. "Certainly, he'll address a need for us if he can play right away."

Karlsson said he won't know if he can make the NHL club until he gets some first-hand experience against NHL competition.

WORKING HARD
"It's a hard question to answer. I'll go over there and do the best I can ... if it's not enough, I'll have to improve somewhere else," he said. "That decision will have to be made, what Ottawa thinks is best for me and what I think is best for me."

He said he's been working hard since the Indians' season ended.

"Right now, I'm doing everything I can to get bigger and stronger and improve my development. I've added a few pounds, but I can't say how many. I'm a lot stronger now. The coach I train with said I'm getting stronger every day since the end of the season," said Karlsson.

Murray said the deal with Karlsson allows the Senators to put him in the AHL or send him back to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL club.

Karlsson will be here in July for the Senators' rookie development camp and a collective decision will be made on where to proceed from there. There's a chance he could stay here and continue to work and train with Senators staff until training camp.

CHRIS.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA

2Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:41 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:The Ottawa Sun's Chris Stevenson suggests the Senators are turning their attention to getting a forward now that Erik Karlsson is signed.

As for who that might be, the rumours about Mike Cammalleri have already started.

From today's edition:

---

Murray can turn attention to adding forward with Karlsson signed, giving Ottawa eight blueliners under contract

Bryan Murray crossed one item off his "To Do List" yesterday with the signing of prospect defenceman Erik Karlsson, the Senators' first-round pick in last year's draft.

Now the Senators GM is turning toward more pressing matters: Finding another couple of forwards, including one who can play on the first two lines.

A third-line guy could be winger Chris Neil, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, but Murray has pretty much run out of hope he can get the tough winger, who turns 30 next month, in the fold and avoid him hitting the market.

"It sounds that way," Murray said from Switzerland, where he's attending the world championship. "We haven't talked for a while. They're asking for a little less, but not much, and I moved (up), but not much. We'll probably talk again.

"Finding a top-six forward is what the agenda is now. We'll probably have to wait until July 1 and find out who's interested in coming our way and what the cost would be."

Karlsson's signing to an entry-level deal yesterday brings to eight the number of defencemen under contract for next season (Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Jason Smith, Anton Volchenkov, Alexandre Picard, Brian Lee and Chris Campoli) and that doesn't include Christoph Schubert, who played most of last season up front, or Brendan Bell, who will be a restricted free agent July 1.

Whether Karlsson, the 15th pick in the draft last summer, fits into the mix at the NHL level is a big question mark.

Size is an issue for Karlsson. He's listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 lbs. and both are exaggerations.

"His head and hands are terrific, but the question is can he handle the every day traffic in the NHL?" wondered Murray.

Karlsson, who turns 19 next month, completed his second season with the Frolunda HC Indians of the Swedish elite league with five goals and five assists in 45 games.

He left a good impression on Senators fans who saw him at the world junior championship here in December and January. He was selected the tournament's top defenceman and tied for the lead in defencemen scoring with two goals and seven assists in six games.

He seems to have carried that momentum over to the rest of the season with Frolunda.

Murray said he spoke to Sweden's national team coach, Bengt Gustafsson, who said Karlsson played well in the last couple of months of the Indians' season.

"Based on that, I think there's a good chance (he could play in the NHL next season)," said Murray. "Certainly, he'll address a need for us if he can play right away."

Karlsson said he won't know if he can make the NHL club until he gets some first-hand experience against NHL competition.

WORKING HARD
"It's a hard question to answer. I'll go over there and do the best I can ... if it's not enough, I'll have to improve somewhere else," he said. "That decision will have to be made, what Ottawa thinks is best for me and what I think is best for me."

"Right now, I'm doing everything I can to get bigger and stronger and improve my development. I've added a few pounds, but I can't say how many. I'm a lot stronger now. The coach I train with said I'm getting stronger every day since the end of the season," said Karlsson.

Murray said the deal with Karlsson allows the Senators to put him in the AHL or send him back to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL club.

Karlsson will be here in July for the Senators' rookie development camp and a collective decision will be made on where to proceed from there. There's a chance he could stay here and continue to work and train with Senators staff until training camp.

[url=mailto://CHRIS.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA
CHRIS.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA[/quote[/url]]

Haven't heard of Mike Cammalleri to Ottawa. I think he has the skill but I am not sure if he would be a fit here based on his lack of size and potential large contract he'll be seeking. If Comrie doesn't resign I'd be open to taking on Cammie if he contract is reasonable.

3Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Eklund was flogging Cammelleri to Ottawa yesterday... so take that for what it's worth...

4Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
davetherave wrote:The Ottawa Sun's Chris Stevenson suggests the Senators are turning their attention to getting a forward now that Erik Karlsson is signed.

From today's edition:

---

WORKING HARD

[url=mailto://CHRIS.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA
CHRIS.STEVENSON@SUNMEDIA.CA[/quote[/url]]

Haven't heard of Mike Cammalleri to Ottawa. I think he has the skill but I am not sure if he would be a fit here based on his lack of size and potential large contract he'll be seeking. If Comrie doesn't resign I'd be open to taking on Cammie if he contract is reasonable.

As much as that would be nice, am doubting that Cammie will take anything less than 4.5 to 5 a season, which we can't afford. Besides, I heard that Burke has interest in him, so might as well not even bother since I believe Cammie is a local Toronto boy and he is a Burkian player. :KJK:

5Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Eklund was flogging Cammelleri to Ottawa yesterday... so take that for what it's worth...

Thanks, just saw it and I am not putting any stock into that one. The only way I could see Murray doing a deal with Cammie is if Murray uses him as a stop gap as a 1st line center if he trades Spezza for quality young players and prospects. Even then I am not sold.

6Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cammalleri isn't worthy of BM's consideration.

Too much money.

Scores in the regular season...doesn't deliver in the post season.

Ottawa needs bigger, tougher forwards.

7Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If finding another Top-6 Forward means, as it has for years now, finding linemates for "Fish", Murray is wasting time and money.

8Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Cammalleri isn't worthy of BM's consideration.

Too much money.

Scores in the regular season...doesn't deliver in the post season.

Ottawa needs bigger, tougher forwards.

agreed we need forwards that are made in a Getzlaf type mold, now go find them BM.

9Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 9:06 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Exactly what I was talking about in the other Karlsson thread. People are jumping to conclusions that this kid, at 19, can make a big impact.

I don't see how we're set at D at all. We've got 4 unmistakably NHL calibre defencemen in Kuba, Campoli, Phillips and Volchenkov, a past-his-prime vet in Smith, and some young guys.

10Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 am

Some people's expectations really are too high for Karlsson right now. The idea is to ease him into the NHL as a 5, 6 guy, give him some PP time and let him learn.

I'm of the opinion that the next step for the kid is the NHL and he is ready, but he isnt ready for 20-25 mins a night, while people expect him to be a stud at both ends of the rink. Lets jump back to reality here.

There are going to be growing pains with the kid and he will make mistakes, probably big ones (thank God we have Leclaire). Its great we signed him and we might have him here next year but that kid isnt going to make a real impact until he is 22, 23 years old, just like Wiercioch.

The D isnt "set" in Ottawa, its in good shape.

11Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 11:06 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Some people's expectations really are too high for Karlsson right now. The idea is to ease him into the NHL as a 5, 6 guy, give him some PP time and let him learn.

I'm of the opinion that the next step for the kid is the NHL and he is ready, but he isnt ready for 20-25 mins a night, while people expect him to be a stud at both ends of the rink. Lets jump back to reality here.

There are going to be growing pains with the kid and he will make mistakes, probably big ones (thank God we have Leclaire). Its great we signed him and we might have him here next year but that kid isnt going to make a real impact until he is 22, 23 years old, just like Wiercioch.

took the words right out of my mouth Neely.
Our D is by NO means set; but the pieces are there and it's a great starting point.

12Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 11:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Rundblad is already 19, if that's who they're drafting. He might even have a leg up on Karlsson.

13Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Rundblad is already 19, if that's who they're drafting. He might even have a leg up on Karlsson.

I wish I could see into Bryan Murray's head so I know who he is drafting, then I can stop running my mind a thousand miles a minute, thinking about possiblities and such, this is an important draft for this team going forward.

14Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:Some people's expectations really are too high for Karlsson right now. The idea is to ease him into the NHL as a 5, 6 guy, give him some PP time and let him learn.

Would be fair to say, though, that it's "set enough" for a team that's not pretneding to be contending? I am confident that we had the stuff to make the playoffs, but as a 6-8 seed the chances of advancing even to the 2nd round would be slim (gone are the days of the #3 seed being easy pickings). With Karlsson under contract all I see is that we have even more D-men signed, which, at worst, gives us more flexibility and some trade stock. I Karlsson can play the 5/6 role that gives us the option of moving Lee and Picard. If Smith is on the LTIR or retires, then those combined contracts add up to $4.4M. There's a top-six right there. Or a top-4 D-man.

15Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Empty Re: Senators: Set on D? Forward Next? Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Rundblad is already 19, if that's who they're drafting. He might even have a leg up on Karlsson.

SSF's latest and most excellent avatar. The Electric Flag. Mike Bloomfield. Maybe the best blues-rock guitarist EVER.

And from Chicago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum