GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

rumours "du jour"

+19
The Silfer Server
PKC
Oglethorpe
Straight Shooter
stempniaksen
rooneypoo
Ev
wprager
LeCaptain
asq2
TheAvatar
SensHulk
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
CockRoche
Riprock
PTFlea
Flo The Action
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 21]

31rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 am

Can't believe he wasn't traded. 8 one-way contracts on defence, still no center to play with Kessell, and not enough legitimate top-six forwards to even be a threat. I wonder if this means they try to get back into the Savard talks. Boston would be stupid to help the Leafs given their top pick, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

32rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 am

Anyone know what's going on with the prospect they got from Chicago? I think his name was Sweatt or something. I heard there were tons of contract issues with this guy.

33rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Anyone know what's going on with the prospect they got from Chicago? I think his name was Sweatt or something. I heard there were tons of contract issues with this guy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2010-08-16/leafs-let-college-prospect-sweatt-walk-after-contract-impasse

34rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Can't believe he wasn't traded. 8 one-way contracts on defence, still no center to play with Kessell, and not enough legitimate top-six forwards to even be a threat. I wonder if this means they try to get back into the Savard talks. Boston would be stupid to help the Leafs given their top pick, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Boston has their own problems, if they can resolve them with a Leafs' trade they might do it.

Can't help but wonder if Senschirp rumour of a Savard deal being all but done until the Sens pulled out due to concerns over his health.

35rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hoags wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:Can't believe he wasn't traded. 8 one-way contracts on defence, still no center to play with Kessell, and not enough legitimate top-six forwards to even be a threat. I wonder if this means they try to get back into the Savard talks. Boston would be stupid to help the Leafs given their top pick, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Boston has their own problems, if they can resolve them with a Leafs' trade they might do it.

Can't help but wonder if Senschirp rumour of a Savard deal being all but done until the Sens pulled out due to concerns over his health.

Who knows. We probably will never know

36rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Here's my problem with an Ottawa-Boston trade for Savard:

Ottawa has $604,167 in cap space right now. Marc Savard has a $5,000,000 cap hit. That's a difference of -$4,395,833. To absorb that, one or more of these players would have to be moved:

- one of Jason Spezza, Alex Kovalev, Sergei Gonchar or Daniel Alfredsson
- either Milan Michalek or Mike Fisher + another one of Chris Campoli, Erik Karlsson, Jarrko Ruutu, Nick Foligno, Peter Regin, Jesse Winchester or Ryan Shannon, Brian Lee, Matt Carkner
- a combination of two or more of Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Pascal Leclaire; and one of the many listed above

So in other words, nothing that makes sense for Ottawa. There's absolutely no trade that makes sense from Ottawas perspective that Boston would view as acceptable. Not to mention trading a couple of players just to make room would leave us short a roster player that we would have to make up somehow, likely putting us back over the cap.

Maybe this rumour had some chance of being close to a possibility before we had Gonchar, but should not even be mentioned now due to lack of common sense.

I could see Columbus being a good fit.

37rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Dash wrote:Here's my problem with an Ottawa-Boston trade for Savard:

Ottawa has $604,167 in cap space right now. Marc Savard has a $5,000,000 cap hit. That's a difference of -$4,395,833. To absorb that, one or more of these players would have to be moved:

- one of Jason Spezza, Alex Kovalev, Sergei Gonchar or Daniel Alfredsson
- either Milan Michalek or Mike Fisher + another one of Chris Campoli, Erik Karlsson, Jarrko Ruutu, Nick Foligno, Peter Regin, Jesse Winchester or Ryan Shannon, Brian Lee, Matt Carkner
- a combination of two or more of Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Pascal Leclaire; and one of the many listed above

So in other words, nothing that makes sense for Ottawa. There's absolutely no trade that makes sense from Ottawas perspective that Boston would view as acceptable. Not to mention trading a couple of players just to make room would leave us short a roster player that we would have to make up somehow, likely putting us back over the cap.

Maybe this rumour had some chance of being close to a possibility before we had Gonchar, but should not even be mentioned now due to lack of common sense.

I could see Columbus being a good fit.

Is that really it for cap space? I have it pegged closer to two million. I guess my numbers dont include Shannon and Lee though.

38rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Those are CapGeek's numbers, which included all one-way deals + Smith for a total of 23 players.

39rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

They also include david hale and brian lee who will not be playing. The Sens are closer to 2 million in cap space.

Also Savards cap hit is 4,007,143.

Hence, trade lee and kelly, and you could afford Savard.

40rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Whoops, I was looking at his previous contract. Still, the room is not there, and your trade is laughable from a Boston perspective, and depletes Ottawa's depth.

And whether or not Lee and Shannon aren't playing, they still count towards the cap. And waiving them or trading them just means we have to fill another spot somehow.

You need room for injury call-ups as well as a buffer for deadline moves if you want that luxury. Plus bonuses, etc. And Savard just adds another $4M+ player when we need money to resign Phillips and Karlsson (soon). Plus we have no goalies under contract next year.

41rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

if the rumour is true of a deal for savard, it must have definitely been before free agency day and gonchar, where cowen would have undoubtedly been the replacement for Volchenkov. I just don't see Savard in an Ottawa uniform this season.

42rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

OK

First i didnt say trade lee and kelly to boston for savard, i just said trade them (for picks or whatever to get cap space)

Second we don't have to re-sign Phillips this year, and even if we did it would start against next years cap not this one. By the way,Karlsson is not an RFA until 11/12 season ......

Thirdly next season Phillips, Kovalev, Rutuu, Shannon and Leclaire are UFA's and their cap space of roughly 14.5 million dollars is available.

This is more than enough money to re-sighn Phillips and possibly Leclaire as well as giving some of the young guys a chance (butler, wick, hoffman, rundblad, wiercoch) and sign an impact UFA or even two.

Finaly, Boston does not want money back. They are 3.5 million over the cap. They have to move a player. They have NO choice. It will come down to which team offers the the best package of picks and prospects on Two-way contracts.

43rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

So we just get rid of Kelly? Just like that? No thanks.

44rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

TheAvatar wrote:So we just get rid of Kelly? Just like that? No thanks.

Oh no, we "get rid of kelly" to make cap space for Savard.

Honestly you don't think Savard would help this team more than Kelly???? Please.

Look at it this way would you get rid of kelly for a second round pic and Marc Savard????

45rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You just don't seem to get what we are saying. Your trades are fantasy. You make it sound so easy and simple to move players without replacing them, nor considering return. If Murray wanted to trade Lee, he would. He either doesn't want to, or has tried to no avail or hasn't gotten an offer that makes sense for the team.

You also haven't taken into consideration future cap space (as I said with Phillips and Karlsson, and plenty other FA's that will be due raises while we are stuck with Savard's contract).

And there's been no consideration for our goalie situation. And you also just assumed that Kovalev will walk and his $5M cap hit helps us... while at the same time you lose a top 6 winger. Where do you get a replacement?

Also, the cap could go down any year, by any amount. And there may not be a season past this one for a while if there's a lockout.

Murray's the GM and in charge because he has considered all these options and scenarios.

46rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:You just don't seem to get what we are saying. Your trades are fantasy. You make it sound so easy and simple to move players without replacing them, nor considering return. If Murray wanted to trade Lee, he would. He either doesn't want to, or has tried to no avail or hasn't gotten an offer that makes sense for the team.

You also haven't taken into consideration future cap space (as I said with Phillips and Karlsson, and plenty other FA's that will be due raises while we are stuck with Savard's contract).

And there's been no consideration for our goalie situation. And you also just assumed that Kovalev will walk and his $5M cap hit helps us... while at the same time you lose a top 6 winger. Where do you get a replacement?

Also, the cap could go down any year, by any amount. And there may not be a season past this one for a while if there's a lockout.

Murray's the GM and in charge because he has considered all these options and scenarios.
not trying to attack you but chances are that the cap will likely go up rather then down, making room for players. i don't think murray will try to go concervative just to keep room for that possibility. also with kovalev leaving next year that's 5 mill in cap space, he'll probably be replaced with a younger player. i would agree that it would be tight fit to get savard in here but i made it work with the cap calculator.
as far as re-signing leclaire, the goalie market right now is dictating that he'll get a drop in salary, even with a good year. if he want's that much of a raise then i'm sure we'll find other options to go with elliott.

IMO phillips wil re-sign with longer term and shorter cap hit. also i doubt we re-sign ruutu(making room for younger player) or shannon, and kuba or campoli might be traded also.
so there are many ways to make savard fit. i'd be more worried about his health then the (very friendly) cap hit.

the way i'd imagine a trade going down would of been a combination or pick/ prospect and low paid roster player(they'd probably want some D since they're hurting in that departement(so campoli or lee might be options), then we'd either make more room by trading kuba.(if we can't find takers, and i doubt it, we can waive him, i know it's not murray's style)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Peter Regin ($1.000m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m) / Marc Savard ($4.007m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Nick Foligno ($1.200m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Zack Smith ($0.583m)
Chris Neil ($2.000m) / Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.750m) / Ryan Shannon ($0.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Sergei Gonchar ($5.500m) / Chris Phillips ($3.500m)
Chris Campoli ($1.400m) / Erik Karlsson ($1.300m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m) / Jared Cowen ($1.295m)
/ David Hale ($0.675m)

GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) /Brian Elliott ($0.850m)

BUYOUTS: Daniel Alfredsson ($0.700m) / Jonathan Cheechoo ($0.666m) / Ray Emery ($0.562m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,947,976; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $302,024

47rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

^^^^^ btw way that is one good looking line-up.

48rumours "du jour" - Page 3 Empty Re: rumours "du jour" Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

also from hockey30
kings and buffalo are negotiating a trade...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum