GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens: No interest in Khabibulin

+9
Mosky
smash88
jamvan
PTFlea
Cronie
COLLAR UP
rooneypoo
PKC
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:52 am

Mosky

Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:Colorado, eh?

That does make sense, but then where does that leave us? LOL

If he goes through re-entry, I think Colorado will snag him, and it would be a bargain at 50% of his original contract.

I'm REALLY starting to warm up to the idea of Khabi in a Sens uni though...

I don't know if I can warm up to this idea... I just don't see it working out for the organization... :drunken:

32Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Will Jokinen help us out and/or be a significant upgrade overt Schubie?
Absolutely. Jokinen is a top 6 forward.

I would say "absolutely a top 6 forward" is a big stretch, to put it nicely.

Jussi Jokinen has been in the league for three years and has been on a steady decline, putting up 55, then 48, and the 42 points per season. For most of that time, he played for a DAL team desperate for offence up front; he was given every opportunity during his time there to play in the top 6 and he didn't really do much with it. That's why he was traded to TB, in a deal in which he was essentially a tack-on piece, Smith and Halpern being the real attractions for TB.

If he landed here, you would be seriously displeased with him in a matter of weeks. He's notoriously soft along the boards and in pursuit of the puck. He's not a hidden gem. He's been moved around for a reason. We have to stop looking to other people's leftovers for answers and start to put a little faith in our management and the players they've drafted / acquired. Jokinen could potentially take away ice time from Winchester or Foligno, and to me he's simply not worth it.

33Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 am

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

Mosky wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Colorado, eh?

That does make sense, but then where does that leave us? LOL

If he goes through re-entry, I think Colorado will snag him, and it would be a bargain at 50% of his original contract.

I'm REALLY starting to warm up to the idea of Khabi in a Sens uni though...

I don't know if I can warm up to this idea... I just don't see it working out for the organization... :drunken:

But really how much worse can it be? Gerber is definitely not bringing us anywhere... If we get Khabibulin, that is definitely an upgrade in goal... Not a huge one, but just rebound control alone means alot... I just think the sens have to do something in order to compete for the cup...

34Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I hear ya Mosky, if we make a goaltending move it should be for something guaranteed to be better than Gerber. Not a "maybe, hopefully better than Gerber as long as he stays healthy" just because he won a single Stanley Cup with a great team years ago.

35Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Will Jokinen help us out and/or be a significant upgrade overt Schubie?
Absolutely. Jokinen is a top 6 forward.

I would say "absolutely a top 6 forward" is a big stretch, to put it nicely.

Jussi Jokinen has been in the league for three years and has been on a steady decline, putting up 55, then 48, and the 42 points per season. For most of that time, he played for a DAL team desperate for offence up front; he was given every opportunity during his time there to play in the top 6 and he didn't really do much with it. That's why he was traded to TB, in a deal in which he was essentially a tack-on piece, Smith and Halpern being the real attractions for TB.

If he landed here, you would be seriously displeased with him in a matter of weeks. He's notoriously soft along the boards and in pursuit of the puck. He's not a hidden gem. He's been moved around for a reason. We have to stop looking to other people's leftovers for answers and start to put a little faith in our management and the players they've drafted / acquired. Jokinen could potentially take away ice time from Winchester or Foligno, and to me he's simply not worth it.

Yeah I think Foligno could surprize people this year if he is given the chance... He has all the signs pointing in the right direction... Could be a breakout year...

36Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:01 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

beerandsens wrote:I hear ya Mosky, if we make a goaltending move it should be for something guaranteed to be better than Gerber. Not a "maybe, hopefully better than Gerber as long as he stays healthy" just because he won a single Stanley Cup with a great team years ago.

I'd say he was a pretty big part of that Tampa team winning the cup... They didn't necessarily have that great of defenceman and other than their 3 big forwards they really weren't that deep... Khabby had to make some pretty good saves and timely ones too... That's where I think Khabibulin will help.. He's alot more reliable than Gerber...

37Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

It's not that I don't think Khabbs is a bad goalie, but far from it. I was in love with him for a while and thought that he was the bee's knee's (sp?) lol but seriously i just don't think its the road for Ottawa right now. I wanted to get rid of the cancers in the room, but keep the same core that we had for our SCF run in 06/07. and i really think that we have. I think this team has the potential right now to be a historical team, and everyone that is left is comfortable. I just think bringing in a new goalie at this point would just throw everything off and we would need to begin meshing from the start, which i don't want. I want to go into the season with a team that knows how each other plays, and have confidence in their goalie that has been there for a couple of years now.

38Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

smash88 wrote:
beerandsens wrote:I hear ya Mosky, if we make a goaltending move it should be for something guaranteed to be better than Gerber. Not a "maybe, hopefully better than Gerber as long as he stays healthy" just because he won a single Stanley Cup with a great team years ago.

I'd say he was a pretty big part of that Tampa team winning the cup... They didn't necessarily have that great of defenceman and other than their 3 big forwards they really weren't that deep... Khabby had to make some pretty good saves and timely ones too... That's where I think Khabibulin will help.. He's alot more reliable than Gerber...

I'm not so sure about that. They really did play well together. In the regular season that year, if you look at Khabby's save % it's only .910, yet the team was tied for 5th best in the NHL in terms of goals against. Plus they were second in goals for. Sounds like a good team to me. Actually, John Graham played in 29 games for the Lightning that year and had a slightly better save % with .913. They were definitely a good team.

39Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beerandsens wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. They really did play well together. In the regular season that year, if you look at Khabby's save % it's only .910, yet the team was tied for 5th best in the NHL in terms of goals against. Plus they were second in goals for. Sounds like a good team to me. Actually, John Graham played in 29 games for the Lightning that year and had a slightly better save % with .913. They were definitely a good team.

Oh, I agree, they were really, really good. They had Vinny, St.Louis, Brad Richards (who won the Conn Smythe), Danny Boyle, Pavel Kubina, Kuba and a great goaltender - right in his prime.

They were gonna beat you with their transition game thanks to Boyle.

Now they've unceremoniously dumped Boyle and Richards (I supported that because Feaster gave him the dumbest contract in history). Good luck gelling again any time soon, but...at least they eeked out a win before dismantling.

40Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:39 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Rumblings are saying he'll end up making it through waivers and then heading to Russia.

41Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Man, Diddle Russia, they're stealing everyone. lol

42Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:41 pm

And don't forget about how good he is in the shootout! Nice trade for us.
Another reason is Schubert is starting to make waves in the dressing room. Goodbye, be gone Schubert.

43Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

beerandsens wrote:
smash88 wrote:

Oh they definitely played well together and that's the reason they won the cup... But I wouldn't put them up there with the rest of the teams who won the cup in the past few years... Tampa IMO had a weaker team than Detroit or Anaheim...

44Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

notch4077 wrote:

Another reason is Schubert is starting to make waves in the dressing room. Goodbye, be gone Schubert.
Ruutu is very good as well, which means we could actually win a couple of these things. :D

45Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

notch4077 wrote:

Are their rumours to trade Shubert now? or are we just discussing possibilities??

46Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I've heard some interesting things. The reason Ottawa didn't pull the trigger on a Khabibulin trade was because they couldn't find a suitor for Gerber and Chicago was unwilling to take him in a trade. However, Tallon is seriously considering a trade of Khabibulin and a pick for Gerber and McAmmond because then he could turn around and buyout Gerber rather than swallow a 3+ million cap hit that would come with Khabibulin being taken on re-entry waivers.

Pretty interesting.

47Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 am

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:I've heard some interesting things. The reason Ottawa didn't pull the trigger on a Khabibulin trade was because they couldn't find a suitor for Gerber and Chicago was unwilling to take him in a trade. However, Tallon is seriously considering a trade of Khabibulin and a pick for Gerber and McAmmond because then he could turn around and buyout Gerber rather than swallow a 3+ million cap hit that would come with Khabibulin being taken on re-entry waivers.

Pretty interesting.

Hearing this from?

48Sens: No interest in Khabibulin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sens: No interest in Khabibulin Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:03 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I've heard some interesting things. The reason Ottawa didn't pull the trigger on a Khabibulin trade was because they couldn't find a suitor for Gerber and Chicago was unwilling to take him in a trade. However, Tallon is seriously considering a trade of Khabibulin and a pick for Gerber and McAmmond because then he could turn around and buyout Gerber rather than swallow a 3+ million cap hit that would come with Khabibulin being taken on re-entry waivers.

Pretty interesting.

The buyout season is done, and I believe it doesn't open again until next June. Buying a player out during this part of the season isn't an option allowed by the CBA to any team.

That said, if they acquired Gerber, sending $3.7 mil down to play in the minors would be just a little better than doing the same with $6.75 mil -- or, should they bring him through re-entry waivers, $1.85 mil would be a much more palatable sum to have to eat. I would think that COL or LA would bit at Gerber for that low a price, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum