GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Teen interest in hockey has taken a hit

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Teen interest in hockey has taken a hit Empty Teen interest in hockey has taken a hit Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Disturbing statistics:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/08/07/teen-interest-drops-hockey-study-alberta.html?ref=rss

The percentage of teens who say they follow the National Hockey League
closely has dropped from 45 per cent to 35 per cent since 1992,
according to the survey of more than 5,500 teens.

10% from 45% is a 22% drop. There are other factors to consider, of course, neither the teen population, nor the percentage of total population that are teens has stayed the same. Nevertheless, such a large drop is not insignificant.

The article attributes this drop to "entertainment choices" which have "exploded".

Antoine Roberge, 15, who was skateboarding at a park in Calgary, said he only occasionally watches hockey.

"People have better things to do than watch hockey," he said.
Well, yeah, maybe in Calgary. But that's still blasphemy.
Seriously, though, these are not good stats.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

In fact all pro sports execs should take note since interest has dropped in all major sports. The poll was taken in 1992 and again in 2009. Teenagers was the age demgraphic polled.

CFL decrease 22% to 14%
MLB decrease 33% to 10%
NBA decrease 27% to 21%
NFL decrease 26% to 19%
NHL decrease 45% to 35%

If this indicates a trend then pro sports will have to find new followers. As these teeanagers become 20 something, 30 something etc, the declining interest would mean fewer fans in future years.

I wonder if there have been any parallel studies in the USA.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

EDIT: Just noticed what you wrote wondering if there was a similar USA poll; this answers my question below.

Jawal, was that a Canadian poll or a particular province or all of North America? Because I can definitely see some regional significant events:

In the CFL there was a loss of one franchise (Ottawa) in that time frame.

In MLB, there was the loss of two: the Expos and, well, the Jays have sucked for a decade.

NBA, I believe we've lost the Grizzlies, or are they still around? In any case, the Raptors have been sucking just as much as the Jays.

Not sure about the NFL but, perhaps, all the shootings, dog-killing and rape?

The only one I really care about, frankly, is the NHL.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

jawal wrote:Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

In fact all pro sports execs should take note since interest has dropped in all major sports. The poll was taken in 1992 and again in 2009. Teenagers was the age demgraphic polled.

CFL decrease 22% to 14%
MLB decrease 33% to 10%
NBA decrease 27% to 21%
NFL decrease 26% to 19%
NHL decrease 45% to 35%

If this indicates a trend then pro sports will have to find new followers. As these teeanagers become 20 something, 30 something etc, the declining interest would mean fewer fans in future years.

I wonder if there have been any parallel studies in the USA.

In the context you give, hockey actually did relatively well -

Ranking by relative percentage drop:

NHL = -22.2%
NBA = -22.2%
NFL = -26.9%
CFL = -36.4%
MLB = -69.7%

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum