GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cormier does it again...(Update: Suspended for entire year)

+10
Hobiesens
shabbs
SensGirl11
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
Hayden
beedub
M_Christopher
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

There U go, suspended indefinitely.

''One thing I didn't like was the way he left the ice,'' Roy said. ''He
didn't show that he felt sorry for what he did, he was arguing with the
referee, and when he was asked to leave the ice, he was looking at our
bench.''

What a jerk.

Oh well, there would go my junior career, because I'd hop off the bench and beat the living Dung out of him. I'm not kidding for a second, the second he looked over at my bench after that disgusting display, I'm out on the ice feeding him fists until they need to pump his stomach to retrieve his teeth.

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

There U go, suspended indefinitely.

''One thing I didn't like was the way he left the ice,'' Roy said. ''He
didn't show that he felt sorry for what he did, he was arguing with the
referee, and when he was asked to leave the ice, he was looking at our
bench.''

What a jerk.

Oh well, there would go my junior career, because I'd hop off the bench and beat the living Dung out of him. I'm not kidding for a second, the second he looked over at my bench after that disgusting display, I'm out on the ice feeding him fists until they need to pump his stomach to retrieve his teeth.

I think I'd rather have him have to wait a few days to pass through his colon and out. Sounds less pleasant to me.

This kid gets whatever is coming to him. He's reckless and doesn't deserve to play. It's hard to think why this kid was Canada's captain with all the other worthy guys there.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:
I would not be upset if the AHL upheld this suspension next year. I would not be upset if he lost a year of his development and, as a result, never got to the NHL.

But I'd also like to see a heavy fine levied against the team and the coach. Someone drafted/traded for him with his history. Maybe if more teams/GMs/coaches were hesitant about putting players like this in their team's uniforms we would see fewer players like this around.

As a Devils fan, I can say I'm ashamed that Lou has come out to say he doesn't think he should be suspended for a season. I think it should be 2 full seasons applied to all pro hockey leagues...

but then again that's just me. Is it me, or is that as close as we've come to having someone killed from a reckless hit. I'm not sure you could closer to killing someone without actually having a death happen...

There is no place in hockey for that, yet wasn't the hit on Gonchar the same thing with a different result?

Both players inflicted their hits, with the anticipation that the puck would arrive at the same time they did. In both cases the puck either didn't arrive (in the Clutterbuck hit) or was long gone (in the Tak hit). Both players hit high with elbows...so the NHL sees nothing wrong with it, and the CHL is looking to kick the guy out.

That's the problem with the sport...those sorts of descrepencies have to stop. I liked what I heard on the radio today, that certain acts...ie an attempt to elbow someone that misses, needs to be reviewed and a suspension handed down.

I.E.
Chris Neil is suspended for 1 game for an attempt to injure with an elbow that missed.

Start there, and then make the punishments for actual injuries more sever. I'm not talking about all hits, or high sticks that miss...but if Alex Ovechkin swings his stick wildly at another player in response to a hard hit, and A.O. misses the player but clearly was swinging for this shoulder, chest, whatever with intent to hurt, then suspend him.

Devo

Devo wrote:
wprager wrote:
I would not be upset if the AHL upheld this suspension next year. I would not be upset if he lost a year of his development and, as a result, never got to the NHL.

But I'd also like to see a heavy fine levied against the team and the coach. Someone drafted/traded for him with his history. Maybe if more teams/GMs/coaches were hesitant about putting players like this in their team's uniforms we would see fewer players like this around.

As a Devils fan, I can say I'm ashamed that Lou has come out to say he doesn't think he should be suspended for a season. I think it should be 2 full seasons applied to all pro hockey leagues...

but then again that's just me. Is it me, or is that as close as we've come to having someone killed from a reckless hit. I'm not sure you could closer to killing someone without actually having a death happen...

There is no place in hockey for that, yet wasn't the hit on Gonchar the same thing with a different result?

Both players inflicted their hits, with the anticipation that the puck would arrive at the same time they did. In both cases the puck either didn't arrive (in the Clutterbuck hit) or was long gone (in the Tak hit). Both players hit high with elbows...so the NHL sees nothing wrong with it, and the CHL is looking to kick the guy out.

That's the problem with the sport...those sorts of descrepencies have to stop. I liked what I heard on the radio today, that certain acts...ie an attempt to elbow someone that misses, needs to be reviewed and a suspension handed down.

I.E.
Chris Neil is suspended for 1 game for an attempt to injure with an elbow that missed.

Start there, and then make the punishments for actual injuries more sever. I'm not talking about all hits, or high sticks that miss...but if Alex Ovechkin swings his stick wildly at another player in response to a hard hit, and A.O. misses the player but clearly was swinging for this shoulder, chest, whatever with intent to hurt, then suspend him.

Devo

You make some really good points, but one seems a little far-fetched as far as it happening.

A.O suspended for a swing and a miss? Never. He had to board a couple guys, slewfoot a couple guys, and go knee on knee on a couple guys before he got suspended. He was day-to-day after the last incident so he probably would have missed at least one of the games he was suspended for anyway. Kinda takes the edge off the "punishment" imo. He ought to be suspended based on the fact that he's easily the ugliest man in hockey, but I digress.

Let's start with making the punishment standard across the board instead of letting stars get away with little or no punishment, while making examples of "lesser" players.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:
You make some really good points, but one seems a little far-fetched as far as it happening.

A.O suspended for a swing and a miss? Never. He had to board a couple guys, slewfoot a couple guys, and go knee on knee on a couple guys before he got suspended. He was day-to-day after the last incident so he probably would have missed at least one of the games he was suspended for anyway. Kinda takes the edge off the "punishment" imo. He ought to be suspended based on the fact that he's easily the ugliest man in hockey, but I digress.

Let's start with making the punishment standard across the board instead of letting stars get away with little or no punishment, while making examples of "lesser" players.

I realize that the A.O. point may be over the top. I guess what I want is to start suspending guys not only for the actions that already warrant suspensions, but start suspending guys for incidents where they clearly wanted to injure, but missed. The A.O. stick swinging was an example, but I've said it may times, if you suspend a star like A.O. for 1 game for an incident where he intented to hurt someone with a reckless action, but missed, then the bar has been set and guys will worry about what their actions will cost them. Not just if I slash a guy on the shoulder he won't get hurt and worst thing that will happen is I'll be kicked out of that game..

Not much of a punishment if they are up 5-1 with 7 minutes left..

I agree with both of you guys. I think that starting next year you up the bar on suspensions and let everyone know that there will be a minimum 1 game suspension for intent to injure (whether contact was made or not) then from there based on the degree of carelessness and resulting injuries, you increase exponentially. Once teams have to pay salaries of players who are suspended and pay their replacements... Once these suspensions compound cap problems... Once there is a system that is black and white (no prferential treatment)... The team will start to pressure players to be more responsible.

Now there is no real deterrent.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tam is out of the hospital from the Cormier hit:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2010/01/19/remparts_tam/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heard some discussion on the Kassian hit today and they say video replay shows that he did not leave his feet at the time of the impact. The thought is a 10-15 game suspension would be levied.

Don't we find out tonight or tomorrow?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Suspended for the season apparently.

EDIT:

Yeah: http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Should be noted he cannot play for any league that falls under Hockey Canada jurisdiction as well.

Will he be back in the QMJHL next season?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Should be noted he cannot play for any league that falls under Hockey Canada jurisdiction as well.

Will he be back in the QMJHL next season?

Probably AHL. HE is physically ready.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He's likely going to be a marked man when he steps into the pro's.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum