GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak"

+23
Phoenix30
SensHulk
Urkie
sidstu
rooneypoo
Devo
TheAvatar
spader
LeCaptain
Hoags
asq2
SDH89
SensGirl11
shabbs
Riprock
PTFlea
Vandelay
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
wprager
davetherave
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Go down  Message [Page 22 of 29]

316Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 pm

If they do indeed have Cowen penciled in Ottawa next year and Lee keeps improving (I truly hope he does) then I can see A Train being dealt in short order especially if Ottawa is out of the race come the new year.

Like I said a few times already, I can see Chicago taking a chance on him and dealing a guy like Kyle Beach to Ottawa who would be an absolutely great addition to the prospect crop that is lacking a lot of forward depth.

317Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:12 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:If they do indeed have Cowen penciled in Ottawa next year and Lee keeps improving (I truly hope he does) then I can see A Train being dealt in short order especially if Ottawa is out of the race come the new year.

Like I said a few times already, I can see Chicago taking a chance on him and dealing a guy like Kyle Beach to Ottawa who would be an absolutely great addition to the prospect crop that is lacking a lot of forward depth.
i could live with that personaly. probably a better choce then chicago's 1st(unless that chicago sneaks into the playoff making that pick attractive,but that won't happen).
if we dont make the playoffs i could see a few players being delt out for foward prospect and/or picks.

318Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I personally can't see Murray dealing Volchenkov. He's one of those core guys and a good solid character player for the Sens. Those are the types of players Murray hangs onto. Unless Volchie doesn't want to take a bit of a hometown discount I don't see him being moved. I could be wrong but Volchie fills a roll in our top 4 that we don't have without him. Unless Cowen, Weircioch, Lee or Karlsson are going to come in and play through pain, block shots, shut down top offensive players and deliver some nice open ice hits of course.

319Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:22 am

Cap, what good is it to have A Train hurt for 15-20 games a year on a non playoff team? I love A Train but in all honesty, he isnt the difference between making the playoffs and missing out.

The Sens depth up front in the system is lacking and a guy like Kyle Beach who is actually playing with Cowen this year in Spokane will be stepping into Bingo (or any AHL team) next year and begin his professional career. If you want to talk about the next Getzlaf (with more of a mean streak) that's the guy.

The longer A Train goes without being signed the better it looks for him being dealt.

This is by no means hate on A Train, just reality. He is probably worth more to The Sens in a trade then on the ice at this point.

320Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:39 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Cap, what good is it to have A Train hurt for 15-20 games a year on a non playoff team? I love A Train but in all honesty, he isnt the difference between making the playoffs and missing out.

The Sens depth up front in the system is lacking and a guy like Kyle Beach who is actually playing with Cowen this year in Spokane will be stepping into Bingo (or any AHL team) next year and begin his professional career. If you want to talk about the next Getzlaf (with more of a mean streak) that's the guy.

The longer A Train goes without being signed the better it looks for him being dealt.

This is by no means hate on A Train, just reality. He is probably worth more to The Sens in a trade then on the ice at this point.

I'm not really arguing the merits of moving him in a trade. I'm just basing it on how Murray operates. Kelly was overpaid because of his character and so was Jason Smith. He also locked up Fisher long term didn't he? I just think, given Murray's track record, that we can expect him to do the same with A-Train. I agree with you though that we will probably be better off getting some real legitimate top line talent prospects. We have too many character 3rd/4th line guys or potential fringe 2nd liners and no real top line forwards coming up.

- Unknown Author

321Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 am

Fair enough but those signings (Kelly and Fisher) were right after they went to the finals and that's is waaaaay in the past at this point. The Jason Smith signing was ment to get things back on track which didnt really happenn...

I know Murray likes his character guys but he also builds teams very well and maximizes his assets when he can.

Again, I really dont see A Train making it to the end of the year as a Senator when you take into account what his cap hit will be next year, what The Sens are lacking in the organization, and the risk of getting nothing for Vulchankov if he actually isnt signed in short order.

If it looks like The Sens are gonna make it into the playoffs things could very well be different but I dont see them holding onto A Train no matter what. Cowen will be ready to step in along with Karlsson, Lee looks like he is finding his way slowly but surely right now. So now add those 3 in with Phillips, Kuba, and a resigned Carkner, and I think right there you have the blueline for next year, and even if you dont think all those guys will be there, Picard and Campoli are still
RFA's.

I think a lot of things point to the big guy getting dealt, a lot.

322Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:06 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Out of Lee, Campoli, Picard, and Volchenkov it's a pretty easy choice for who I'd like to see stay an Ottawa Senator but for the good of the team and the top end forward depth I'd be willing to part with Volchie.

Lee has really started to look less and less lost out there and those two goals have really helped his case I think. If he can continue to improve and be a dependable 4/5 D man and an effective 2nd unit PP QB then our D will be pretty sweet as early as next season.

Cowen and Karlsson should be here next season and be effective top 4
D men IMO. Throw in a much improved Lee, a Phillips and a Kuba and that's one nice looking D.

If we can snag a player like Beach then we should easily challenge for first in the division next season.

- Unknown Author

323Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:12 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Out of Lee, Campoli, Picard, and Volchenkov it's a pretty easy choice for who I'd like to see stay an Ottawa Senator but for the good of the team and the top end forward depth I'd be willing to part with Volchie.

Lee has really started to look less and less lost out there and those two goals have really helped his case I think. If he can continue to improve and be a dependable 4/5 D man and an effective 2nd unit PP QB then our D will be pretty sweet as early as next season.

D men IMO. Throw in a much improved Lee, a Phillips and a Kuba and that's one nice looking D.

If we can snag a player like Beach then we should easily challenge for first in the division next season.

For the good of the team when though? The current team? Absolutely A Train would be the choice, bar none, no thinking involved. Long term? I think A Train is a lot more valueable if you can get the right players and picks back for him.

If you think those 3 youngs kids are gonna be here next year, we know Carkner, Phillips, and Kuba will be too... where does that leave A Train? Again, take all the things I said into account it is not hard or near impossible to see A Train getting dealt at some point this season.

Next year, I actually think the pairings will looks like this.

Lee/Phillips
Karlsson/Kuba
Carkner/Cowen

That's a lot of ice time for the young kids to develope, play in all situations and learn the game. That's not an awful blueline as young as it is. (which I dont think is a bad thing).

324Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Out of Lee, Campoli, Picard, and Volchenkov it's a pretty easy choice for who I'd like to see stay an Ottawa Senator but for the good of the team and the top end forward depth I'd be willing to part with Volchie.

For the good of the team when though? The current team? Absolutely A Train would be the choice, bar none, no thinking involved. Long term? I think A Train is a lot more valueable if you can get the right players and picks back for him.

If you think those 3 youngs kids are gonna be here next year, we know Carkner, Phillips, and Kuba will be too... where does that leave A Train? Again, take all the things I said into account it is not hard or near impossible to see A Train getting dealt at some point this season.

Next year, I actually think the pairings will looks like this.

Lee/Phillips
Karlsson/Kuba
Carkner/Cowen

That's a lot of ice time for the young kids to develope, play in all situations and learn the game. That's not an awful blueline as young as it is. (which I dont think is a bad thing).

I'm not arguing with you on this. I agree with you. I said I'd like to keep Volchenkov if it was a simple choice of picking between him Lee, Picard and Campoli.

I also said for the good of the team I'd trade Volchenkov for the forward prospect. I believe we'll absolutely see Cowen and Karlsson here next season. 2011 we'll probably see Wiercioch too.

- Unknown Author

325Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 am

I think Wiercoich comes in 2011/12. Dont think you rush him at all and let him figure it out in The AHL for a couple years. When Carkner's contract is up, that's when he might very well step in.

326Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:49 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:I think Wiercoich comes in 2011/12. Dont think you rush him at all and let him figure it out in The AHL for a couple years. When Carkner's contract is up, that's when he might very well step in.

I agree. The 2011/12 season is when I'd expect to see Weircioch. That means 2010/11 he's in Bingo (next season). Tell me this D, plus Elliott/Leclaire doesn't make this team top 4 in the East in 2011/12

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Lee

Phillips - Weircioch

- Unknown Author

327Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:I think Wiercoich comes in 2011/12. Dont think you rush him at all and let him figure it out in The AHL for a couple years. When Carkner's contract is up, that's when he might very well step in.

I agree. The 2011/12 season is when I'd expect to see Weircioch. That means 2010/11 he's in Bingo (next season). Tell me this D, plus Elliott/Leclaire doesn't make this team top 4 in the East in 2011/12

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Lee

Phillips - Weircioch

2012/13 is when I think you will see The Sens really get going as a team pending they add a big time winger or develope one.

328Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Murray says "we have to make a tweak" yet no swirlings. What gives?

329Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 am

Murray shouldnt do anything major right now because of how many contract might have to be moved come summer time. Just stay the course and let some people learn to hate losing... it's not the same as loving to win.

330Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Lee

Phillips - Weircioch

Hey guys. This is my very first post at GMHockey. Great site, I enjoy reading the intelligent posts that come up after gamedays. Way better than other sites, if you know what I mean hehe Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 270956

My thoughts about trading Volchenkov is that if the return is substantial (i.e. an offer you can't refuse), then and only then should the sens trade him. Only a few weeks ago before he got injured, no one was talking about him being dealt, and now that he's been gone for a few games, I don't see how we can survive without him. In fact, I'd rather part with Chris Phillips. He's more of a 'face' (former 1st overall pick...hard to believe) that I think other teams would givie up some assets for. I'm a phillips fan, but Volchenkov brings more to the table.

Also, once Kuba's contract is up, that's the only time I see Weircioch stepping into this line-up. I'm not sure how old he is, but until I see him become a key part of Canada at the World Jrs, I don't think he's ready to step into the NHL.

Again, great site. Look forward to more posts....glad to have popped my cherry. Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 226479

331Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 am

I was talking about him being dealt for a while now actually. I also dont agree he brings more to the table then Phillips.

Production is about equal but Phillips does move the puck more effecively and is better defensivly then A train from a technical stand point, he obviously doenst sacrifice the body like A Train does but he is as solid defensivly as any D man in the league.

Leadership wish Phillips is head and shoulders above A Train, both because of his expierence and like it or not its easier to communicate with good english skills, something A Train doesnt have. Alos, he is engraved in the community which is as important as anything when dealing with team mates and kids coming up in the organization, it effects both on and off ice results. YOu have to love the city you play in to care, Phillips (along with Fisher and Spezza it seems now) is a shinning example of that.

A Train is a soid addition to any team but at what cost? 4 mil? Dont think so, he's not worth that. 3.5? Maaaaybe, but that's even pushing it. His has his place for sure but he is still limited to what he can do. Jay Mckee got a 4 mil contract playing the exact same way and was waived two years later because he was on a non playoff team and he didnt have the ability or qualities to get them A Train equivilent at this point if you want to look at past situations like his.

332Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 am

Also, lets not pretend A Train is something he isnt. He isnt a top 2 D man, he isnt an offensive weapon, he isnt a 4 million dollar player, and he isnt really the type of guy to get teams over a regular season hump.

People love him and rightfully so, what he brings is important, but over an 82 game schedual he will not stay healthy because of they way he plays and right now The Sens are not in a position to have one of their top 3 D men hurt for any long stretch of time, especially when you know it's coming.

A Train is not the best fit in Ottawa right now like it or not, his game is effective but it does not and will not make the difference between the playoffs and missing out. What The Sens need on the blueline, A Train does not have the ability to do, not his fault but he cant do it.

333Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" - Page 22 Empty Re: Bryan Murray: "We Have To Make A Tweak" Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I can also see Edmonton moving one of Gilbert, Souray or Visnovsky. The likely candidate is Gilbert, as Visnovsky has a NTC and Souray is oft injured, but when healthy, I think brings more to the team than Gilbert. Edmonton would have an easier time trading Gilbert ($4M/UFA 2014-15) anyways, as he is younger and carries a smaller price tag.

And Ottawa would likely be in there for his services should he be traded.

And Edmonton will likely need to make room in order to re-sign RFA's: Grebeshkov (3.15), Gagner (1.625), Cogliano (1.133), Deslauriers (625), Reddox, J-F J, Peckham, Potulny, Pouliot, Brule and O'Marra, among many others; as well as UFA's Comrie and Pisani.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 22 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum