GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OC Transpo rant

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OC Transpo rant Empty OC Transpo rant Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, I'm starting a new job Monday, but because we haven't got that second car yet I'll be riding the bus. It's under 10 minutes by car and I could probably bike it in about a half hour in warmer weather. So how bad could the bus ride be?

Well, for this particular local route (#160) the brains at OC Transpo decided *not* to have the usual one place where the route starts, another where it ends, with busses running between these two end-points, mostly following the same route on the way back. Instead, the bus does a one-way loop (a rather large one) through all of Morgan's Grant and the hi-tech sector. The result is, if you need to travel within this loop, you can easily get there, but have a devil of a time getting back.

Below is the map of the route. I live at the top-left part of the route (off Halton Terrace, past Klondike. I need to get to approximately Leggett/Schneider, in the Business Park. It's only about a 10-12 minute bus ride on the way there. However I cannot (easily) use the same bus to get back home. I can take it to Teron road, get off, cross the street and wait for the next bus heading back to Morgan's Grant. The recommended method of getting back is to take route 101 back to the intersection of March/Terry Fox, cross the street and take the 60 (or 160, depending on timing) back to Morgan's Grant. It's still under a half hour, but if I miss the connection I could be waiting another 15 minutes or more.

I really cannot understand why it is so difficult to make a route that comes and goes following mostly the same route.

OC Transpo rant 160map

2OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I stopped taking the bus because of what boils down to mis-management of the service.

Imbeciles.

3OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, and even though the route does not have a star and end, if you are looking at bus stop schedules, they still break it down into Morgan's Grant direction and Terry Fox (park and ride) direction. One stop along the large loop is designated the end of the line. In order to do something as simple as figuring out how long it will take me to get to work I have to look at the stop schedule for the Morgan's Grant direction first to see how long it will take me to get to that mythical end of the line; then I have to look at the schedule in the other direction to see how long it takes from the "end of the line" to my eventual destination.

Now, if this loop was small -- a few blocks -- I would understand. But the loop starts at March/Teron and goes all the way to the farthest reaches of Morgan's Grant, crosses to the other side into Shirley's Brook, through the business park, out past the old Digital plant (now Dell) before heading back to March/Teron.

Maybe the easiest way for me to get back is to walk from work to the Gateway Plaza on March Road (there is a Timmy's there) then catch either the 60 or 160, whichever comes first. I just measured it in google maps and it's just a little over 1 km. The only problem is having to cross Carling at Local Heroes during rush hour.

4OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:I stopped taking the bus because of what boils down to mis-management of the service.

Imbeciles.

But you're still paying for the service, or half of it, at least.

5OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:51 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I stopped taking the bus because of what boils down to mis-management of the service.

Imbeciles.

But you're still paying for the service, or half of it, at least.

I left town :p

I paid enough for incompetence.

6OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I work at IBM by the Airport and I live probably a 60 degree wedge from you. For me to bus there I would have to take 3 or 4 busses (i can't remember now) but essentially I'd have to leave by 6 am to get to work by 8 am. 2 freaking hours to travel what is essentially a 20-30 minute trip.

pathetic.

7OC Transpo rant Empty Re: OC Transpo rant Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:49 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

This probably won't help you in the short term, but my suggestion is to go to a Kanata Lakes community association meeting and tell them how you feel about this situation. Generally, the councilor for that ward sits in on the meetings - if enough voices are vocal about this issue, they will make a change to it.

Apart from that, I could rant all day about the inefficiencies of OC Transpo. There is no end to my disdain for what I consider the most useless bus service in the entire continental Northern American continent.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum