GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses.

+5
wprager
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Will Athiest Ads on OC Transpo Buses affect your decision to take the bus?

Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Vote_lcap218%Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Vote_rcap2 18% [ 2 ]
Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Vote_lcap282%Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Vote_rcap2 82% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

According to the Ottawa Sun this morning a contraversial athiest Ad will be permitted to be posted on OC Transpo buses. What are you thoughts? Do you care?

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2009/03/12/8718201-sun.html

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this an issue?

I read somewhere that someone or some group had put forth the opinion that by allowing an atheist ad to be posted, they are basically thrusting an atheist's opinion and/or philosophy down people's throats, to which I think that premise holds NO water as Christian or christian-based ads and such are allowed to be posted ad nauseum in some cases and that's considered to be perfectly acceptable or permissible?

What did I miss exactly?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I don't agree with the ads as it invites other groups to have the same rights, which is not a good thing. Ads should advertise a product or service, not an idealism.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

next ad,

NeoNazi's - back in black

Wife Swappers - Love thy neighbour

etc etc etc

If there are religious ads on the buses now, they should be removed.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why is this an issue?

I read somewhere that someone or some group had put forth the opinion that by allowing an atheist ad to be posted, they are basically thrusting an atheist's opinion and/or philosophy down people's throats, to which I think that premise holds NO water as Christian or christian-based ads and such are allowed to be posted ad nauseum in some cases and that's considered to be perfectly acceptable or permissible?

What did I miss exactly?

I think the wording of the Ad could be offensive to some. Did you read the article?

The Ad says - "There's Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying and Enjoy Your Life."

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wow! See, to me, that's hilarious! But then again, I have a warped sense of humor, and tend to follow Carlin's philosophy that everything in the proper context can be hilarious!

When are we as a society going to put an end to this ridiculous PC crap... People are going to get offended, PERIOD. you cannot avoid it, and tip-toe'ing around subjects and going out of one's way really just puts and maintains a burden of sorts on everyone.

For those who aren't familiar with John Stuart Mills, I would highly recommend reading his essay "On Liberty." It certainly had a profound effect of me and being a philosophy buff I can't get enough of that stuff personally.

To sum it up, Mills postulates that his view on answering the proverbial question of "what is right action" or "what is the good life" is simple: man should be free to pursue and achieve anything he desires to undertake and should live his life to the fullest so long as he doesn't become a burden or impose his will onto others.

Very simple in my view.

EDIT: I should clarify that Mill's philosophy, like Communism, looks great on paper and sounds great as a premise; the challenge lies in trying to put it into practice properly and smoothly.

Religion will always be a hot button topic and this new Ad is no exception. My pet peeve with most religions is on paper, they sound great and make a lot of sense and put forth very interesting views and challenges; but like most things, once it's in practice, lines begin to blur and when left to personal interpretation, that's where things get REALLY interesting.

Last edited by Cronie on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laughing3

Losers. The ad is dumb, the city council is dumb...everyone is dumb. Ahhhhh!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I personally find the Ad funny as well Cronie. I also agree with Number Twenty Nine that Ads should be for a product or service and not an ideology.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The ad implies that people who believe in God (not just Christians, by the way, but the majority of the world's population) are worried and not enjoying life.

I don't know about you, but my morality has more to do with trying to be a good person than "worrying" that God will smite me. And I can still enjoy life without stealing, cheating or lying. Try it, it actually works.

P.S. You guys *do* realize that atheists are the minority, right?

P.P.S. How's this for a slippery slope ad:

"Go ahead and have sex with your mother, father, sister or brother. Otherwise how else would Adam and Eve have become grandparents?"

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

What did I miss exactly?

I think the wording of the Ad could be offensive to some. Did you read the article?

The Ad says - "There's Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying and Enjoy Your Life."

10Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Re: Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I don't agree with the ads as it invites other groups to have the same rights, which is not a good thing. Ads should advertise a product or service, not an idealism.

Excellent point. PSA's and whatever floats your boat, but ideologies, well go to your local chapters store in the spirituality section or get your fix from the pulpit at your local church, mosque, synagogue, etc...

you know what Clutch? We should put up an AD that says FIGHTING MONTAGOOSE! and then in small letters, have gmhockey.com

11Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Re: Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wrager,

Of course, and naturally, the radical atheists will trumpet this as a major blow to the oppression of atheists everywhere, bla bla bla...

majority, minority, it shouldn't matter. #29 had/has a great point: leave the ideologies and such off the market, if you will, and leave that to the usual capitalistic orgy of consumer seduction as it's always been.

12Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Re: Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mills' philosophy is very easily stated; pretty much near impossible to implement.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
after half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
'alf a crate of whiskey every day!
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
and Hobbes was fond of his Dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

-- Monty Python

13Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Re: Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was thinking of just littering the city with bumper stickers but I suppose your idea is more legal :D I wonder how much that would cost.

- Unknown Author

14Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Empty Re: Atheist Ad allowed on OC Transpo buses. Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Mills' philosophy is very easily stated; pretty much near impossible to implement.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
after half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
'alf a crate of whiskey every day!
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
and Hobbes was fond of his Dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

-- Monty Python

LOL!! I'm practically crying! That's a fantastic post Wprager...thanks for that.

As for my Mills post, I was being somewhat genuine, but mostly tongue-in-cheek simply saying that while I agree with Mills (as well an Kantian, Nietzche and others too) implementing those kinds of views and such is next to impossible, as you said.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

What did I miss exactly?

If the Christian ads continue, these ads should be allowed too.

According to the article, the current policy says "religious advertising which promotes a
specific ideology, ethic, point of view, policy or action, which in the
opinion of the city might be deemed prejudicial to other religious
groups or offensive to users of the transit system is not permitted."

So if you're going to ban the atheist ad, ban all ads that promote religion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum