GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No goals, no problem for Spezza

+4
Riprock
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty No goals, no problem for Spezza Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/10/19/mendes_spezza/

Even though he has yet to score a goal this season, you won't be hearing Jason Spezza complaining about a diminished role any time soon.

That's because the star centre - often criticized for his lack of attention to defense - has been playing in more situations and helping the team win games without getting on the scoresheet.

"I still want to be better offensively and would like to get on the board. Maybe in the past, I wouldn't be contributing unless I was scoring. But now, I think I'm contributing without scoring," said Spezza.

The 26-year-old is known as one of the most talented and creative players in the league, but he's been held to just four assists in seven games this season. Despite the lack of production from his star, head coach Cory Clouston is not complaining about Spezza's game.

"It's easy to judge someone like that just by offensive production. The thing we like about him is he's trying to expand his role and expand his game," explained Clouston. "His play is a lot better than his offensive production is."

The increased role for Spezza is most evident in penalty killing situations, where he is now being used by Clouston. Spezza's willingness to expand his defensive responsibilities comes at a time when he is trying to show Team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman that he can be a complete player.

"It's been a role that I've really welcomed. Getting a chance to go out and take key faceoffs and kill penalties and try to grow my game defensively," added Spezza. "It also helps that the team is having success when I'm playing a role like that."

Spezza, who has twice broken the 90-point plateau in the NHL, has a legitimate shot to make Team Canada after he was a last-minute addition to the summer orientation camp.

He has yet to find chemistry with new linemate Jonathan Cheechoo - as both are without a goal through the first seven games.

But Spezza told reporters on Monday that he believes the chemistry with Cheechoo and Milan Michalek is getting close - and that having three days of practice before their next game will help the trio immensely.

2No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

To his defense, if Michalek and Cheechoo had Heatley's finish, he would be leading the team in scoring (mostly assists)...

3No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Spezza still has a long, long way to go to make Team Canada. He'd have to be winning 75% of his face offs. That said, I've now seen him take the body twice (and not just a little gentle touch but really driving his man into the boards). He's got to show me a lot more like that -- as much as I hate the term "finishing his check" (often a eupemism for 'plowing a guy 5 seconds after he gets rid of the puck') I'd love to see Spezza doing it a few times. You've done all the work skating deep into the other team's zone, gone behind the net to chase a guy, and now, just because he just got rid of the puck you do a skate-by? Screw this! Skate *through* him. Let him know what 6'3" 220 lbs feels like coming at full speed. Gives him something to think about the next time, maybe he rushes just a little.

If he's not doing that (physically intimidating play) and he doesn't blow away the competition on the face off, and he is not leading the Canadian centers in assists there is no chance. You don't get to be on Team Canada just because you're doing what is expected of any player: skate hard both ways, throw a hit once in a while.

4No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm content with the way he is playing. The team is winning, others are contributing, goals will come for him, once he establishes his new found game, which is more important than getting goals right now. I'd rather he took the time like he is doing to improve his overall game, so that by next year he is a complete threat in all situations.

5No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree Dash. I don't want this to be a one time thing with all his focus being on making team Canada. If it takes a 60 or 70 point season this year to have him be an all around threat hitting 82 to 92 points regularly then I'm all for it.

- Unknown Author

6No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:18 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Dash wrote:I'm content with the way he is playing. The team is winning, others are contributing, goals will come for him, once he establishes his new found game, which is more important than getting goals right now. I'd rather he took the time like he is doing to improve his overall game, so that by next year he is a complete threat in all situations.

I agree. On top of that I don't think I've seen him miss too many wide open chances. If the chemistry were set like this the rest of the year it would mean Spezza would have to drive the net and/or dangle his way to a goal. He can do that from time to time but he's a decent finisher if he's getting a pass from a linemate. Once his line establishes some chemistry pucks will start going in for the guy, and not exclusively in highlight reel fashion.

7No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't disagree at all that I'm against Spezza playing a sound defensive game at the expense of some offensive production. My two points simplay are:

1. I was mostly talking about his chances at Team Canada. At this point, not even close.

2. We are bubbling over like a proud papa seeing his toddler's first few steps. He had *TWO* nice hits in 7 games. His one impressive stat is 56.9% on the face offs (Fisher may be close at 56.3% but Spezza has faced more 1st liners, I think). He's actually skated back, but you can't sit there and tell me he hustled back like Michalek or Alfredsson -- or even Neil, on a few occasions. He is making baby steps and we are gushing over it like he is a shoe-in as the Sens' Selke nominee. If he was leading the team in scoring and the league in assists, while doing all of the other stuff I mentioned, then I'd be singing his praises loud and proud.

8No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 am

This is where the Ottawa media pisses me off... who caaaaaaares if Spezza isnt scoring, he's playing great hockey. I hope he just pots one or two against Nashville just to shut people up (in a winning effort).

If he just keeps doing what he's doing along with Cheechoo they will be scoring in short order, no doubt in my mind about that.

9No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:53 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:This is where the Ottawa media pisses me off... who caaaaaaares if Spezza isnt scoring, he's playing great hockey. I hope he just pots one or two against Nashville just to shut people up (in a winning effort).

If he just keeps doing what he's doing along with Cheechoo they will be scoring in short order, no doubt in my mind about that.

wow, Neely just complimented Spezza, I am glad I am sitting down for this or I could have fainted/hurt myself. Just kidding Neely, this is definitely the best hockey Spezza has ever been playing, the points will come for the playmaker, moreso when the PP finally gels.

10No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:43 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I don't disagree at all that I'm against Spezza playing a sound defensive game at the expense of some offensive production. My two points simplay are:

1. I was mostly talking about his chances at Team Canada. At this point, not even close.

2. We are bubbling over like a proud papa seeing his toddler's first few steps. He had *TWO* nice hits in 7 games. His one impressive stat is 56.9% on the face offs (Fisher may be close at 56.3% but Spezza has faced more 1st liners, I think). He's actually skated back, but you can't sit there and tell me he hustled back like Michalek or Alfredsson -- or even Neil, on a few occasions. He is making baby steps and we are gushing over it like he is a shoe-in as the Sens' Selke nominee. If he was leading the team in scoring and the league in assists, while doing all of the other stuff I mentioned, then I'd be singing his praises loud and proud.

1 - I totally agree and and don't care personally. If he's improving his game by trying to be more well rounded, and it pays off this season, despite suffering significantly production wise, I'm happy.

2 - I definitely wasn't someone gushing over Spezza and his all around play. I personally was making the point that I could care less about him making Team Canada and more about him improving his overall game. If he only gets 60 to 70 points this year but becomes a solid two way player, of similiar calibre to Fisher, in the process I say fantastic. If that improved all around play also puts him at a point per game or higher then I'm quite pleased.

- Unknown Author

11No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Team Canada should not be a concern for some people. It is going to be hard enough as it is for him to make the team even if he scored 30 goals and 100 points. Nothing against Spezza at all, there's just too many talented players fighting for a spot on that team, and most of them are natural centers.

It's not like the WC where only those eliminated from the playoffs attend, but every single eligible player in the NHL.

Sure it would be nice for him to make the team and win a gold medal FingersCrossed but I think his play for our team is more important right now.

12No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I agree Dash. I don't want this to be a one time thing with all his focus being on making team Canada. If it takes a 60 or 70 point season this year to have him be an all around threat hitting 82 to 92 points regularly then I'm all for it.

Yeah, I was thinking that last night. He might get 70 points this year and learn the ins and outs of playing both ends of the ice. Once you've learned that playing top line minutes in the NHL, if you have talent, that'll start transferring over and you can get back to 90-100 points, while still playing the 2-way game. It'll be frustrating for him though, it's not something you skip into thinking it'll be no problem, it's a long, long process. Hopefully Clouston and Michalek etc. don't let him deviate at any point.

13No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Team Canada should not be a concern for some people.

And this. Diddle Team Canada. The focus should be, now and for the duration of the contract, on the Ottawa Senators.

14No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:
N4L wrote:This is where the Ottawa media pisses me off... who caaaaaaares if Spezza isnt scoring, he's playing great hockey. I hope he just pots one or two against Nashville just to shut people up (in a winning effort).

wow, Neely just complimented Spezza, I am glad I am sitting down for this or I could have fainted/hurt myself. Just kidding Neely, this is definitely the best hockey Spezza has ever been playing, the points will come for the playmaker, moreso when the PP finally gels.

Wow! The word "compliment" has been used on GMH in its correct form (as opposed to "Spezza's passing should compliment Cheechoo's shooting").

Just kidding Smile

Still, are you really, really all convinced that Spezza is playing *great* hockey? I like what he's doing, and I'll like it even better when he starts scoring as well, but he is playing an OK two-way game. It's not like he's hitting people 3-4 times a game, blocking shots, diving to break up passes and so on.

It's good for him (and good on him) but he isn't Datsyuk yet. I know it almost sounds like Neely and I have switched keyboards, but I'm just being realistic here.

15No goals, no problem for Spezza Empty Re: No goals, no problem for Spezza Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Spezza's playing great hockey right now. No mistakes costing his team, he's skating hard, he is producing a little, and he is playing ES, PP, and PK. That's great hockey to me.

Ive always said I dont care how many points the guy puts up, I care about how many wins the team has. He's a huge part of that right now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum