GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lehner, too good for Junior?

+9
Cap'n Clutch
TeamRenzo
shabbs
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
SensGirl11
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
cas wrote:
N4L wrote:
shabbs wrote:Repeat after me: Do. Not. Rush. Your. Goalie.

That is all.

Cant stall his development either. Rushing a goaling is giving him the starting job at 19, 20. Bringing in a kid as the backup when you want to further his development is a different story.

Definitely feels like its too early... I wouldn't bring him into Ottawa until at least 3 years from now. 1 in the O, 2 in the A makes me very very comfortable. Any sooner would be rushing him Imo.

Carey Price was good enough for the NHL at 20...now look at him. I don't want that.

Price wasnt/isnt the backup either. Backing up a guy is a totally controlable situation where a guy can learn by practicing eveyr day and watching night after night.

We are not looking for Lehner to step right into the spot light, there is nothing wrong with giving him 25-30 games against the lesser teams and build him up that way after a year in the AHL.

I dont think its a must but eveyrone has to be handled differently.

I think it depends on how a few things play out.

1 - If Leclaire and Elliott are outstanding and it's more cost effective and a better use of the asset to trade one then Lehner comes up.

2 - If it turns out to be a better option to hang to both then Lehner waits another year at least.

3 - Lehner has to progress much the way Elliott did and have a spot open up for him as well.

32Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:34 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cas wrote:No we won't, but that doesn't mean he can't handle a little double duty in his 2nd season in the A. If he's half here, half there, that would be fine by me.
Yeah, I'm liking that scenario. Bottom line is that they'll have to keep a close eye on his progress and gauge when they feel he's ready for the next level of development and how the "tea leaves" are looking as far as Leclaire/Elliott is concerned in 2 years.

33Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Mercy me, he was brilliant but it was one game.

Let's wait and see how he handles playing in the OHL before passing judgment IMO.

34Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:53 pm

asq2 wrote:Mercy me, he was brilliant but it was one game.

Let's wait and see how he handles playing in the OHL before passing judgment IMO.

WJC will be the biggest test IMO. The Soo is in tough playing against London, Windsor, Kitchener...

35Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

:^^^^: Yeah, we got a little excited. For good reason though, he was stellar in development camp as well, but yes, we (I) might be a little guilty of going ga-ga.

36Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:

WJC will be the biggest test IMO. The Soo is in tough playing against London, Windsor, Kitchener...

OMG, Windsor...they could beat some NHL teams. :^^^^:

37Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 668437 Yeah, we got a little excited. For good reason though, he was stellar in development camp as well, but yes, we (I) might be a little guilty of going ga-ga.

Ottawa fans are desperate for a hero. Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 639591 Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 50327

38Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

OMG, Windsor...they could beat some NHL teams. Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 668437

They basically have the same team as last year, they might just run through the OHL without breaking a sweat.

39Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ottawa fans are desperate for a hero. Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 639591 Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 50327

Is that Monster McGuire that said that?

40Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:06 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Is that Monster McGuire that said that?

That was one of his nuggets during one of his daily rip-Elliott segments.

41Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

I think Lehner should spend two seasons in the O.

I may be biased though Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Icon_smile

42Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

OMG, Windsor...they could beat some NHL teams. Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 668437

They basically have the same team as last year, they might just run through the OHL without breaking a sweat.

A certain potential top 3 pick in the 2010 draft was added too Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 718821

43Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:He literally might be. Along with Karlsson, that was Ottawa's best draft pick in the last 10 years.

Haha, this is exactly what I said on the rookie camp thread, as the game was playing on Monday night: "Lehner looks AHL-ready right now." It's so true. As long as there are no bureaucratic issues that I'm not aware of to hold him back, Lehner will be in Bingo next year, fighting whoever remains of Chido and Brodeur for the starting positioning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum