GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lehner, too good for Junior?

+9
Cap'n Clutch
TeamRenzo
shabbs
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
SensGirl11
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I thought that Lehner deserved his own thread.

Here is an article from the Sun this morning

By Bruce Garrioch

KITCHENER — All eyes are on Erik Karlsson at this week’s rookie camp, but it’s another Swede who’s stealing some of his thunder.
Eighteen-year-old goaltender Robin Lehner turned in a dazzling 40-save performance to lead the Senators rookies to a 4-1 win over their Pittsburgh counterparts on Monday, leaving an NHL scout marvelling at what he’d just witnessed.

The 6-foot-3, 220-lb. Lehner, Ottawa’s second-round selection (46th overall) at the NHL draft in June, will join the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds once the tournament ends here tomorrow, but the scout isn’t convinced he’s going to the right place.

“They’ve made a mistake on this kid Lehner,” the scout said with a smile. “He’s too good for junior.”

He was only half-kidding. Lehner, who spent last season with the Frolunda Jr. team in Sweden, has a long way to go before he plays in the NHL, but he came to North America for a reason — he wants to show the Senators he’s serious about being a pro.

“I’ve always watched the NHL and I’ve always loved the hockey over here,” said Lehner, whose English is nearly perfect. “I just want to play here. I came here to chase my dream and to play as good as possible and to show the guys in the organization I want to be here.
“I’m trying to make sure I just get better every day. It’s hard (to leave Sweden), but they want to see me and how I can adjust and how I can play this type of hockey.”

The Senators know they may have landed a gem.
“He gets you excited. For a young guy, that is coming over from Europe, I thought he was really composed,” said Senators coach Don Nachbaur. “The one thing that jumps at you is his size and he utilizes that size well.

“I came out of a program (in Tri-Cities) that had good goalies in Carey Price and Chet Pickard and he emulates these guys. They’re both big guys and his composure was excellent and his rebound control was fabulous (against the Penguins). He plays with a lot of confidence and skill. He’s got a bright future.”

Lehner has been well-schooled by his father, Michael, who is a goaltending guru in Sweden and works with Rangers No. 1 goalie Henrik Lundqvist.

The younger Lehner isn’t sure how long the road to the NHL will take, but he’s determined to get there.

“I’m here right now to show them that I want to play,” said Lehner. “I’m not here just for fun. I’m here to show the guys in Ottawa that I want to be in the organization. I don’t care if it’s three years from now. I want them to believe in me.”

He’s off to a good start.

Excited yet? Lehner, too good for Junior? 639591

2Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

He literally might be. Along with Karlsson, that was Ottawa's best draft pick in the last 10 years.

3Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It does deserve it's own thread. I'm truly excited about this guy, he's big, he moves side to side with agility, he's confident. He needs to control the rebounds from point shots a little better so he doesn't have to lunge for pucks, but rebound control is an issue for most young goalies. I can't wait for him to learn in the OHL and then learn more in the AHL - then come up to the NHL and challenger Elliott. I'm not sure if he's 'too good for junior', that will be determined by Christmas, but I must say, I could see him in the AHL this upcoming season without feeling too nervous.

Beautiful draft pick for us. I'm a huge believer.

4Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Name Dropper didn't seem to excited. He quickly turned his answer regarding Lehner into an "I told you so" regarding Elliott! Lehner, too good for Junior? 668437

I am and was excited about Lehner from about the second he was drafted.

5Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 am

Lehner will be the starting goaltender for Sweden this year and him playing in the Soo will be an adtvantage for him playing in Sask. this x-mas and getting used to the new angles and NA ice.

If I had to guess, he will be in Bingo next year and could very well be in Ottawa when one of the two goaltenders contracts are up. If Leclaire stays Healthy for the next 2 years and plays well, Elliott will eventually be trade bait.

6Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper didn't seem to excited. He quickly turned his answer regarding Lehner into an "I told you so" regarding Elliott! Lehner, too good for Junior? 668437

I am and was excited about Lehner from about the second he was drafted.

He has mild Dung for brains sometimes. What else can you say?

7Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 am

N4L wrote:Lehner will be the starting goaltender for Sweden this year and him playing in the Soo will be an adtvantage for him playing in Sask. this x-mas and getting used to the new angles and NA ice.

If I had to guess, he will be in Bingo next year and could very well be in Ottawa when one of the two goaltenders contracts are up. If Leclaire stays Healthy for the next 2 years and plays well, Elliott will eventually be trade bait.

Thats the way I see. Imo he absolutely needs this year in the OHL. There's no need to rush him into the AHL...worst thing we can do is have him stagnating in any league. The O for one year should be enough; the A for one or two years; back-up in the N for one or two and then a starter. Just ahead of the timeline N4L had for him when we drafted him, which was to have him as Ottawa's starter by 24.

8Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Lehner will be the starting goaltender for Sweden this year and him playing in the Soo will be an adtvantage for him playing in Sask. this x-mas and getting used to the new angles and NA ice.

My guess would be that in 2 years Elliott and Lehner will be the goalies in Ottawa. Lecalire won't be around. But, in any event, we seem to have fixed our problem in nets. FingersCrossed

9Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 am

cas wrote:

Thats the way I see. Imo he absolutely needs this year in the OHL. There's no need to rush him into the AHL...worst thing we can do is have him stagnating in any league. The O for one year should be enough; the A for one or two years; back-up in the N for one or two and then a starter. Just ahead of the timeline N4L had for him when we drafted him, which was to have him as Ottawa's starter by 24.

I agree, this is absolutely the way to go with this player unless he absolutely blows the doors off. In which case you have an embarrassment of riches at the goaltending position that this team has never enjoyed.

No need to rush this kid. Elliott has been great and Leclaire will be good. Hopefully he can survive our media circus which is one of the worst in the league for goaltenders.

10Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

He's going to get lots of work too in the Soo, because they suck.

11Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:He literally might be. Along with Karlsson, that was Ottawa's best draft pick in the last 10 years.

I don't know... That Mathieu Chouinard, twice, in the last 11 years was pretty phenomenal, dare i say, epic. Definitely one of our proudest moments!

12Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
N4L wrote:He literally might be. Along with Karlsson, that was Ottawa's best draft pick in the last 10 years.

I don't know... That Mathieu Chouinard, twice, in the last 11 years was pretty phenomenal, dare i say, epic. Definitely one of our proudest moments!

Ahhhhh!

13Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Bass Destruction wrote:

I never did figure out what the heck they were thinking with that one ...

14Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 am

Ya, I dunno, I think Lehner might be further ahead then anyone could have possible imagined at this point. If he is in Ottawa by the time he is 21 I wouldnt be shocked.

What a great trade that could turn into. Vermette for Leclaire and Lehner. Vermette set up The Sens for the next 10-15 years in goal, thats amazing.

15Lehner, too good for Junior? Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

N4L wrote:Ya, I dunno, I think Lehner might be further ahead then anyone could have possible imagined at this point. If he is in Ottawa by the time he is 21 I wouldnt be shocked.

What a great trade that could turn into. Vermette for Leclaire and Lehner. Vermette set up The Sens for the next 10-15 years in goal, thats amazing.

Dung, you're right, I never even put together that Lehner came from our Columbus pick. SWEET DEAL! At least it doesn't look too bad on them since they have their franchise goalie in Mason.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum