GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lehner, too good for Junior?

+9
Cap'n Clutch
TeamRenzo
shabbs
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
SensGirl11
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

Bass Destruction wrote:
N4L wrote:He literally might be. Along with Karlsson, that was Ottawa's best draft pick in the last 10 years.

I don't know... That Mathieu Chouinard, twice, in the last 11 years was pretty phenomenal, dare i say, epic. Definitely one of our proudest moments!

I never did figure out what the heck they were thinking with that one ...

17Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 am

Ya, I dunno, I think Lehner might be further ahead then anyone could have possible imagined at this point. If he is in Ottawa by the time he is 21 I wouldnt be shocked.

What a great trade that could turn into. Vermette for Leclaire and Lehner. Vermette set up The Sens for the next 10-15 years in goal, thats amazing.

18Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

N4L wrote:Ya, I dunno, I think Lehner might be further ahead then anyone could have possible imagined at this point. If he is in Ottawa by the time he is 21 I wouldnt be shocked.

What a great trade that could turn into. Vermette for Leclaire and Lehner. Vermette set up The Sens for the next 10-15 years in goal, thats amazing.

Dung, you're right, I never even put together that Lehner came from our Columbus pick. SWEET DEAL! At least it doesn't look too bad on them since they have their franchise goalie in Mason.

19Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:47 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:Ya, I dunno, I think Lehner might be further ahead then anyone could have possible imagined at this point. If he is in Ottawa by the time he is 21 I wouldnt be shocked.

It makes me like him even more, if that's possible...

Although Leclaire still has to prove himself to me... Not that he'll lose any sleep over it or anything.

20Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:50 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Or even 20. Sorry guys, I realize the reality of a goalie being in the NHL at 20, but I love the kid's composure and technical abilities. 1 year of OHL and 1 year of AHL and I can totally see him backing up either Leclaire or Elliott.

I love this kid already. Wow...what a nice feeling that is.

And Bass - I TOTALLY agree, Leclaire still has to prove himself to me and the rest of the fans and organization. He hasn't really proven anything yet. FingersCrossed

21Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:51 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Repeat after me: Do. Not. Rush. Your. Goalie.

That is all.

22Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am

shabbs wrote:Repeat after me: Do. Not. Rush. Your. Goalie.

That is all.

Cant stall his development either. Rushing a goaling is giving him the starting job at 19, 20. Bringing in a kid as the backup when you want to further his development is a different story.

23Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper didn't seem to excited. He quickly turned his answer regarding Lehner into an "I told you so" regarding Elliott! Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 668437

I am and was excited about Lehner from about the second he was drafted.

What do you mean regarding the "I told you so"?

24Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Ya, I dont get that either, lol. He just got a 2 year, 1 way deal... I told you so?

25Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 pm

N4L wrote:

That is all.

Cant stall his development either. Rushing a goaling is giving him the starting job at 19, 20. Bringing in a kid as the backup when you want to further his development is a different story.

Definitely feels like its too early... I wouldn't bring him into Ottawa until at least 3 years from now. 1 in the O, 2 in the A makes me very very comfortable. Any sooner would be rushing him Imo.

Carey Price was good enough for the NHL at 20...now look at him. I don't want that.

26Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

But Carey Price was considered Montreal's saving grace the minute he laced them up. He wasn't given the full year to back Huet up, they made a horrific decision, traded Huet, handed Carey the reigns and set him back 3 years. We won't be doing that.

27Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm

No we won't, but that doesn't mean he can't handle a little double duty in his 2nd season in the A. If he's half here, half there, that would be fine by me.

28Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 pm

cas wrote:
N4L wrote:

That is all.

Definitely feels like its too early... I wouldn't bring him into Ottawa until at least 3 years from now. 1 in the O, 2 in the A makes me very very comfortable. Any sooner would be rushing him Imo.

Carey Price was good enough for the NHL at 20...now look at him. I don't want that.

Price wasnt/isnt the backup either. Backing up a guy is a totally controlable situation where a guy can learn by practicing eveyr day and watching night after night.

We are not looking for Lehner to step right into the spot light, there is nothing wrong with giving him 25-30 games against the lesser teams and build him up that way after a year in the AHL.

I dont think its a must but eveyrone has to be handled differently.

29Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 pm

cas wrote:No we won't, but that doesn't mean he can't handle a little double duty in his 2nd season in the A. If he's half here, half there, that would be fine by me.

You could do that too, especially if one of Elliott or Leclaire is playing well and Lehner cant get in the nets... you can do that with a young goaltender luckily.

30Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cas wrote:No we won't, but that doesn't mean he can't handle a little double duty in his 2nd season in the A. If he's half here, half there, that would be fine by me.

Ah...there's a plausible scenario. :___:

31Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
cas wrote:
N4L wrote:

That is all.

Price wasnt/isnt the backup either. Backing up a guy is a totally controlable situation where a guy can learn by practicing eveyr day and watching night after night.

We are not looking for Lehner to step right into the spot light, there is nothing wrong with giving him 25-30 games against the lesser teams and build him up that way after a year in the AHL.

I dont think its a must but eveyrone has to be handled differently.

I think it depends on how a few things play out.

1 - If Leclaire and Elliott are outstanding and it's more cost effective and a better use of the asset to trade one then Lehner comes up.

2 - If it turns out to be a better option to hang to both then Lehner waits another year at least.

3 - Lehner has to progress much the way Elliott did and have a spot open up for him as well.

- Unknown Author

32Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm liking that scenario. Bottom line is that they'll have to keep a close eye on his progress and gauge when they feel he's ready for the next level of development and how the "tea leaves" are looking as far as Leclaire/Elliott is concerned in 2 years.

33Lehner, too good for Junior? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lehner, too good for Junior? Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Mercy me, he was brilliant but it was one game.

Let's wait and see how he handles playing in the OHL before passing judgment IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum