GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Heatley a Shark?" plus other Sens and non-Sens chat

+15
Vandelay
jawal
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Phoenix30
Cronie
caissie_1
shabbs
PKC
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
davetherave
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 16]

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

its only main stream because edmonton dropped out. If SJ was serious they would have put an offical offer together and worry about moving money after the fact. Unless some quality prospects are coming back I don't think they are a good trading partner as we would need to take on some salary. If indeed its a 3way with montreal who do we want from them other than Subban.

Why would you even want Subban? We have 3 Dmen that are already head and shoulders more developed and will more than likely be top 4 D men as opposed to Subban who might not even be good enough to be an every day NHL D man. Most over rated prospect in the league IMO.

As for what we might want from MTL...? Not that I am a fan of his like a lot of other players being mentioned, but Plekanec could very well fit very nicely into that number 2 spot at center in Ottawa. I would have said Higgins before but that ship sailed. I think Pacioretty would be a very solid pick up for The Sens if we were to get him as well. Big, good skater, has the ability to put the puck in the net, pretty good, young player.

Other then that... nothing I can really see Ottawa wanting from Montrea.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michalek and Vlasic would do nicely. What the heck would be coming for Montreal? Nothing of substance I would imagine.

Sophomore
Sophomore

If we could get Michalek, Vlassic, and Couture from SJ I would do it in a heartbeat. Thats two top 6, young forwards and a top 4 d man for 1 player. SOLD!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Why would you even want Subban? We have 3 Dmen that are already head and shoulders more developed and will more than likely be top 4 D men as opposed to Subban who might not even be good enough to be an every day NHL D man. Most over rated prospect in the league IMO.

As for what we might want from MTL...? Not that I am a fan of his like a lot of other players being mentioned, but Plekanec could very well fit very nicely into that number 2 spot at center in Ottawa. I would have said Higgins before but that ship sailed. I think Pacioretty would be a very solid pick up for The Sens if we were to get him as well. Big, good skater, has the ability to put the puck in the net, pretty good, young player.

D'Agostini?

I agree about Subban. If a supposedly D primo prospect was needed for the Gomez trade (which, I know, it probably wasn't!), they ought to have made it him. MTL lost their minds when they traded away their consensus top-prospect in Ryan McDonough.

Couture a top 6? He hasnt played a game in the NHL.

rooneypoo wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Why would you even want Subban? We have 3 Dmen that are already head and shoulders more developed and will more than likely be top 4 D men as opposed to Subban who might not even be good enough to be an every day NHL D man. Most over rated prospect in the league IMO.

D'Agostini?

I agree about Subban. If a supposedly D primo prospect was needed for the Gomez trade (which, I know, it probably wasn't!), they ought to have made it him. MTL lost their minds when they traded away their consensus top-prospect in Ryan McDonough.

I still don't get that trade... at all. If someone else does an explination is welcome.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:

I still don't get that trade... at all. If someone else does an explination is welcome.

Senility?

Has to be... or Sather is a racist, haha.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Has to be... or Sather is a racist, haha.

Well, it's certainly the first time in as long as I can remember that Sather ever came out of a hockey transaction looking like the smarter of all parties involved.

He ruined it signing Gaborik, but that deal was heavily in NYR's favour.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:He ruined it signing Gaborik, but that deal was heavily in NYR's favour.

LOL. Yeah, I agree there, didn't take him long to Diddle that up. I think Gaborik's an amazing player when healthy -- truly a gifted player and a treat to watch when he's on -- but I don't see at all why you give someone so injury prone such a long, huge deal.

Anyway, as for this SJ thing, all I know is that SJ has to get its books in order before long. They are effectively over the cap at the moment ($57.322 mil -- only by invoking the bonus cushion to they squeak under with a whopping $217K in cap space) and yet the currently only have 10 forwards (2 on ELCs -- Setoguchi and McGinn), 7 D, and 1 goalie.

At minimum, they have to move out one of the bigger D contracts (Ehrhoff seems to likely target) and fill the remaining 3 roster spots (2 forwards, 1 back up goalie) with minimum wage guys, just to sneak under the cap limit and have about $1.5 mil or so left over in cap space for injuries and call ups.

Something has to give there.

As for what OTT can expect in return on a deal with SJ, I think any deal will have to revolve around one young, signed top-6er -- i.e., one of Michalek or Clowe -- and something like a pick or prospect, with another (less desirable) piece being included for cap purposes. Pavelski and Setoguchi would probably fit the bill, too, even though they're heading for RFA status next July, but I get the sense that SJ would be even more reluctant to deal either. Plus, given SJ's cap issues, I'd think they'd opt to move the bigger salaries.

Personally, I'm expecting any deal with SJ to revolve Michalek, which is I think a pretty good start.

I dont do the number thing because every year all the teams figure out how to get under it, every year... this year wont be any different.

It will be an interesting week I think (or hope)

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I dont do the number thing because every year all the teams figure out how to get under it, every year... this year wont be any different.

It will be an interesting week I think (or hope)

Ah well, the Coles notes version is, SJ has to move salary regardless of what direction they decide to go in with the Heatley thing. Too much money invested in too few players right now to be able to ice a cap-compliant team.

SJ did eat Kyle McLaren's $2+ mil salary last year by sending him to the minors, however, so who knows, maybe they'll do something similar again this year. I can't imagine that the prospective returns for guys like Cheechoo and Ehrhoff would be so awful that SJ would rather just eat the salary, tho'.

From OTT's perspective, I think we're still weeks away from seeing this issue settled, but who knows. I would welcome being wrong about that.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

enter the montreal inclusion into this mess... since i live in MTL i can't help but remember how well the Kostitsyn/mafia.coke connection was swept under the rug. truth is gainey doesn't want anything but a big splash to rock his boat for next season. getting rid of any elements within the dressing room that might relieve the tension as well as surround his star goaltender with more motivated players (or a change at the very least)might be in his cards. the first thing that comes to mind would be to at least split the kostitsyn brothers and/or hamrlik. although hamrlik's 5.5 million contract might not be enticing to anyone sergei is cheap and has plenty of upsides, although my pick would be on andrei which looks to be a more stable level headed player. i could see him and kovalev re-united (wiithout becoming the habs take 2) so if montreal is trying to part their problem and trade him for say cheechoo and a prospect, maybe there is a three way deal possible.

what would be the deal? not sure, just don't think pleckanek and his 1 year left before he's a UFA is a good idea for us.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Flo>what you say makes sense.

Just tossing some thoughts around...and what could work.

Maybe Cheechoo's not the piece SJ wants to move...maybe it's Marleau.

Heatley to SJ, Marleau to Montreal, Habs send Sergei K ($.6M) and Hamrlik ($5.5)to Ottawa?

Leaves BM a little cap space, he picks up a vet D-guy and a talented young forward...and maybe BM targets another value priced FA in the Prospal/Sykora range.

Gainey gets his francophone centerman; and plugs the hole left by Hamrlik with Schneider/Dandenault on a 1 yr deal for small change.

Sharks get Dany.

Maybe Rooney can tell us if the numbers add up...I did the quick math on it and it looks do-able.

SJ still has to move a player at some point...but Doug Wilson has time to do that. He has a few d-men priced around $2MM (Murray, Vlasic, Erhoff) he can shop in return for prospects/picks to clear space.

PS just a piece of history...SJ and Ottawa did a 3-way trade a few years back...Havlat>CHI, Bell>SJ, Pressing and Hennessy to the Senators.

Again, don't know if this works from a personnel point of view...

So over to you-all, Sens experts, on this one.

davetherave wrote:Flo>what you say makes sense.

Just tossing some thoughts around...and what could work.

Maybe Cheechoo's not the piece SJ wants to move...maybe it's Marleau.

Heatley to SJ, Marleau to Montreal, Habs send Sergei K ($.6M) and Hamrlik ($5.5)to Ottawa?

Leaves BM a little cap space, he picks up a vet D-guy and a talented young forward...and maybe BM targets another value priced FA in the Prospal/Sykora range.

Gainey gets his francophone centerman; and plugs the hole left by Hamrlik with Schneider/Dandenault on a 1 yr deal for small change.

Sharks get Dany.

Maybe Rooney can tell us if the numbers add up...I did the quick math on it and it looks do-able.

SJ still has to move a player at some point...but Doug Wilson has time to do that. He has a few d-men priced around $2MM (Murray, Vlasic, Erhoff) he can shop in return for prospects/picks to clear space.

PS just a piece of history...SJ and Ottawa did a 3-way trade a few years back...Havlat>CHI, Bell>SJ, Pressing and Hennessy to the Senators.

Again, don't know if this works from a personnel point of view...

So over to you-all, Sens experts, on this one.
I don't think there is any chance Murray takes Hamrlik. Also, Marleau isn't French he is from Sask. I don't think he speaks french.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
I don't think there is any chance Murray takes Hamrlik. Also, Marleau isn't French he is from Sask. I don't think he speaks french.

Agreed. Hamrlik + S. Kostitsyn for Heatley is a downright brutal deal for OTT, perhaps even more brutal than the reputed Zherdev + Rozsival offer. It makes Cheechoo + Ehrhoff + 1st pick look good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum