GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

An NHL Team in Halifax?

+4
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
dennycrane
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should Halifax Get An NHL Franchise?

An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap217%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 1 ]
An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap233%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 2 ]
An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap233%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 2 ]
An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_lcap217%An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Wait...wait...they BOTH get a team, thanks to Balsillie's largesse and the co-operation of the provincial and federal governments, who slash fat from their budgets to put the money where it matters...NHL hockey teams for the great people of our nation.

The Hamilton RIMJims--with JimBal playing center and taking the first face-off--meet the Halifax Fishsticks for the Stanley Cup.

Imagine...

to make that happen, Rim Jim might have to get NHL 09 on his Xbox 360 or PS3, or I could play that out for him if he wants to buy me a PS3, no Xbox for me thank you very much.

32An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 10:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Wait...wait...they BOTH get a team, thanks to Balsillie's largesse and the co-operation of the provincial and federal governments, who slash fat from their budgets to put the money where it matters...NHL hockey teams for the great people of our nation.

The Hamilton RIMJims--with JimBal playing center and taking the first face-off--meet the Halifax Fishsticks for the Stanley Cup.

Imagine...

Except that Hamilton and Halifax would be in the same conference would they not?

33An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about the Halifax Rollup the RIMs at the BlackPearl?
HA HA!

Hmmm Halifax....

The Halifax Pale Ale's playing at the Alexander Keith Center.

Sweet.

34An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I agree that Eastern Canada has a rich history of hockey, but frankly, none of it is at the professional level.

The American Hockey League is not 'professional level'?

Maybe I should say a 'level that people actually care about'.

35An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Imagine...
Would their jersey be a head shot of Jim Balsillie smiling from ear to ear?

Laughing3

36An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 11:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

Imagine...
Would their jersey be a head shot of Jim Balsillie smiling from ear to ear?

Laughing3

It would be a caricature of Bettman with a red bar running across it diagonally.

37An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

dennycrane wrote:
davetherave wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I agree that Eastern Canada has a rich history of hockey, but frankly, none of it is at the professional level.

BURN!!!

38An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 12:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:as for the population issue mojo, there are quite a few communities within 2 hours or less that I know will be supporting the Halifax team as well, Cronie himself said he would make the trip and I believe he has a 4 hour trek down the highway, hockey fans will do it.
I guess the question is, are there enough of those people who will do that for 41 home games and keep the place full enough.

39An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 12:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That's the thing about hockey versus football. 8 home games, on average every second week, mostly on weekends, versus 41 (plus pre-season) with lots of mid-week games.

40An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:as for the population issue mojo, there are quite a few communities within 2 hours or less that I know will be supporting the Halifax team as well, Cronie himself said he would make the trip and I believe he has a 4 hour trek down the highway, hockey fans will do it.
I guess the question is, are there enough of those people who will do that for 41 home games and keep the place full enough.

That's exactly the point. People might do that on a special occasion but not in the middle of the week after work. It's just not realistic.

41An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:

hmmmm touche, guess I never considered it that way, but if there is 400,000 in Halifax say as the population, the Metro Centre probably doesn't hold enough at this point, but say if it maxed out at 18,000 fans, that is only 4.5 of the population that would have to attend the games regularly, you want to tell me that Halifax couldn't pull that off? Atlantic Canadians love their hockey, from the lowest level of pee wee right up to as high as you can go.

42An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I never meant to imply that Halifax could not support an NHL team, only that driving 2+ hours to a game is not something you would expect on a twice weekly basis. And if they can't get 10-12K season ticket holders they have to rely on walk-up sales. So what happens when there's a snow storm on game-night? I'm not actually familiar with the weather patterns in Halifax, but if they are anything like Newfoundland, that's a lot of lost revenue from walk ups. Very risky.

43An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I never meant to imply that Halifax could not support an NHL team, only that driving 2+ hours to a game is not something you would expect on a twice weekly basis. And if they can't get 10-12K season ticket holders they have to rely on walk-up sales. So what happens when there's a snow storm on game-night? I'm not actually familiar with the weather patterns in Halifax, but if they are anything like Newfoundland, that's a lot of lost revenue from walk ups. Very risky.

I don't believe you will have an issue there, Halifax's weather patterns aren't as severe as Newfoundland's, to put it in some perspective, I live about 2 hours up the TCH from Halifax (meaning they are south of me), more often than not, if Moncton is getting hit with a snow storm, Halifax is getting rain or very mild snow in comparison. of course, we get those big noreasters and they rip up the whole coast, but on a night like that, and I am not sure what the NHL's policy is on this, but cancelling the game in favour of another night might be their only alternative.

44An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:
wprager wrote:I never meant to imply that Halifax could not support an NHL team, only that driving 2+ hours to a game is not something you would expect on a twice weekly basis. And if they can't get 10-12K season ticket holders they have to rely on walk-up sales. So what happens when there's a snow storm on game-night? I'm not actually familiar with the weather patterns in Halifax, but if they are anything like Newfoundland, that's a lot of lost revenue from walk ups. Very risky.

I don't believe you will have an issue there, Halifax's weather patterns aren't as severe as Newfoundland's, to put it in some perspective, I live about 2 hours up the TCH from Halifax (meaning they are south of me), more often than not, if Moncton is getting hit with a snow storm, Halifax is getting rain or very mild snow in comparison. of course, we get those big noreasters and they rip up the whole coast, but on a night like that, and I am not sure what the NHL's policy is on this, but cancelling the game in favour of another night might be their only alternative.

Even rain could keep people away. I don't know about you, but I would not want to drive 2 hours with my kids, risking their lives and mine to attend a game.

45An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:31 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Even rain could keep people away. I don't know about you, but I would not want to drive 2 hours with my kids, risking their lives and mine to attend a game.

That is very true, there is lots of wind around here too, rain and wind are a very nasty combination. I wouldn't even trust Public transit during weather like that.

46An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

SensFan71 wrote:

As long as the team's can get to the rink, the game goes on. I believe there was a game in Buffalo last year on the night of a really bad snowstorm. The game went on but there were barely any fans there. Games only seem to get cancelled when players have heart attacks.

47An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:39 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Mojo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

As long as the team's can get to the rink, the game goes on. I believe there was a game in Buffalo last year on the night of a really bad snowstorm. The game went on but there were barely any fans there. Games only seem to get cancelled when players have heart attacks.

ouch, judging by the winter we just had here, then there would have been a couple of games with near empty stands then, we had a brutal winter.

48An NHL Team in Halifax? - Page 3 Empty Re: An NHL Team in Halifax? Tue May 26, 2009 1:52 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Denny, you are going to get a LOT of stick from fans of the B-Sens and other AHL teams.

Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum