GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Canucks?

+10
PKC
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hockeyhero22000
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
asq2
SensFan71
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

31What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Jason York is saying on Team 1200 Radio's 'Healthy Scratches' today that Vancouver GM Kevin Gillis has a very close relationship with Scott and Rob Niedermayer's agent.

Jason believes the rumour of the Niedermayer brothers signing with Vancouver is substantial, and that the brothers will sign a one year package deal with the Canucks.

"Look at the Canucks now," says Jason, "What are they missing? Cup winning leadership. The Niedermayers would give them that."

This might mean Gillis lets the Sedins, Ohlund and Sundin walk.

Or Ohlund and Sundin walk and the Sedins like the addition of the Niedermayers and sign a deal? I think that would be the best case scenario for Vancouver. It would take the spotlight away from Luongo's perceived failure for the summer too.

32What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 21, 2009 4:40 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Or Ohlund and Sundin walk and the Sedins like the addition of the Niedermayers and sign a deal? I think that would be the best case scenario for Vancouver. It would take the spotlight away from Luongo's perceived failure for the summer too.
Now that would be a slick move...

33What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Or Ohlund and Sundin walk and the Sedins like the addition of the Niedermayers and sign a deal? I think that would be the best case scenario for Vancouver. It would take the spotlight away from Luongo's perceived failure for the summer too.
Now that would be a slick move...

would hate to face the Canucks if that happened, ouch, that is some star power.

34What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri May 22, 2009 5:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

At some point Niedermayer becomes a small defenseman with diminishing speed/skill. His brother is a third-liner. I'd say the Canucks are more in need of a Pronger-type defenseman.

35What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 5:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Vancouver re-signs one tough hombre...plus a list of the Nucks' UFAs, from The Province:

Canucks fourth line intact with Rypien signing

Jim Jamieson/Vancouver Province, May 28, 2009

Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis clearly believes Rick Rypien’s problems — injuries and otherwise — are behind him.

Rypien, who would have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, was signed to a two-year extension on Wednesday.

The new contract, which is a one-way deal, goes through the 2010-11 season.

Rypien wouldn’t say how much the deal is worth, but it’s believed to be a slight increase on the $522,000 annual salary he was making, likely in the $600,000 range.

Rypien, 25, has suffered numerous injuries since signing with the Canucks the fall of 2005.

He played just five games at the start of the past season before suffering a sports hernia.

That required surgery and he had a relapse, but Rypien remained sidelined indefinitely with an undisclosed personal issue.

By the time he returned to the lineup on March 31, he’d missed 70 games.
Gillis said in an interview from Toronto, where he’s attending the NHL Draft Combine, that he believes Rypien’s issues are behind him.

“We feel really good about him,” said Gillis. “He’s got good speed, he hits and he’s hard to play against. We need young players like that.”

Gillis said the team will be putting together a training program designed specifically for Rypien to help him avoid injury.

Rypien plays a tough, physical game and is a devastating fighter — a style that’s hard on a player who’s under-sized for that role, at 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds.

The question hanging over him has always been his ability to stay healthy.

But when Rypien returned in March he was able to play in the final seven games as well as all 10 playoff games.

He and his fourth-line mates were a factor in some of the playoff games against both St. Louis and Chicago.

“Vancouver approached me and we (signed a deal) right away,” said Rypien. “I’m more than happy with that. I didn’t want to play anywhere else but Vancouver. I feel probably the best I’ve felt health-wise. Hopefully, that’s the end of all that stuff.”

Rypien believes he can improve as a hockey player, but of course that’s dependent on staying off the IR.

“I just want to pick up where I left off,” he said. “I’m still pretty young so I think I can get better.”

Rypien’s signing means the Canucks’ fourth line will stay intact, as Darcy
Hordichuk and Ryan Johnson are both already under contract for next season.
In 41 career games as a Canuck, Rypien has recorded seven points (5-2-7) and 69 penalty minutes.

Canucks free agents

Forwards Mat Sundin (UFA) Daniel Sedin (UFA) Henrik Sedin (UFA) Taylor Pyatt (UFA) Kyle Wellwood (RFA) Jannik Hansen (RFA) Defence Mattias Ohlund (UFA) Rob Davison (UFA) Ossi Vaananen (UFA) Shane O’Brien (RFA) Goal Jason LaBarbera (UFA) UFA: Unrestricted free agent RFA: Restricted free agent

36What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Mat Sundin (UFA)
Signs with Leafs- 1 year, 5.5 mil.

Daniel Sedin (UFA)
Resigns 4 years, 26 mil.

Henrik Sedin (UFA)
resigns, 6 years, 33 mil.

Taylor Pyatt (UFA)
resigns 2 years, 4.8 mil.

Kyle Wellwood (RFA)
resigns, 1 year 3.3 mil.

Jannik Hansen (RFA)
2 years, 1.6 mil.

Mattias Ohlund (UFA)
signs with Minnesota, 5 year 20 mil.

Rob Davison (UFA)
meh

Ossi Vaananen (UFA)
signs elsewhere for 1 year 900 000

Shane O’Brien (RFA)
resigns, 1 year 800 000

Jason LaBarbera (UFA)
Signs with Columbus, 2 year 2.2 mil.

37What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 5:53 pm

what do you mean matts sundin signs wit leafs? lol

38What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 6:01 pm

HowieMorenz wrote:what do you mean matts sundin signs wit leafs? lol

Sundin retires where he spent most of his career. that's my best bet atleast

39What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 6:05 pm

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:

hmmm, would the canucks not be interested in re-signing him another year? He did aiight, scored a big one in the last game ....

40What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 pm

HowieMorenz wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:

hmmm, would the canucks not be interested in re-signing him another year? He did aiight, scored a big one in the last game ....

Can't afford him, probably don't even want him back.

41What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Matthew Sekeres drops some hints as to who the Canucks may be looking at come Draft Day:

Canucks leaning towards defenceman in draft

MATTHEW SEKERES/GLOBE AND MAIL 'GLOBE ON HOCKEY', 28 May 2009

With the NHL entry draft just one month away, we’re becoming more and more convinced that the Vancouver Canucks will select a defenceman – likely an offensive-minded defenceman – with their first-round pick.

The Canucks choose 22nd in the first round, and there’s a potential that one of the higher-rated defencemen could slip to them, or that they make a trade to move up the draft board. There are also a couple of interesting fits among defenceman ranked a little lower.

The Canucks have one defensive prospect to speak of – Yann Sauve, a second rounder last year. Sauve, who plays for Saint John in the QMJHL, is still years away and has limited offensive upside. After that, the cupboard is bare, and the NHL blue line is aging.

On to the candidates…

Ryan Ellis, the power-play quarterback of the Memorial Cup-champion Windsor Spitfires and Canada’s gold-medal winning world junior team, is ranked 13th by the International Scouting Service, and 17th in the recently released Hockey News draft preview. Ellis is listed at 5-10 and 173 lbs., not prototypical.

It should be noted that Canucks GM Mike Gillis, formerly an agent, represented several undersized players such as Edmonton’s Sam Gagner and Calgary’s Mike Cammalleri in his previously life. We’ve also heard stories of Agent Gillis chastising NHL scouts and officials for discriminating against smaller players.

Candidate No. 2: John Moore of the USHL’s Chicago Steel. He’s another mobile defenceman (though taller at 6-foot-2), and he has been moving up since Christmas. The ISS has him at No. 17, THN at No. 18.

The other two candidates are Calvin de Haan (THN 22nd, ISS 36th), of the OHL’s Oshawa General, and Stefan Elliott (THN 27th, ISS 32nd) of the WHL’s Saskatoon Blades.

De Haan is particularly gifted offensively, though putting weight on his six-foot, 173-lb. frame might be an issue. He had 63 points in 68 games this year for a bad Oshawa team that lost John Tavares at mid-season.

Elliott is a North Vancouver native, and was the WHL’s scholastic player of the year. The latter is significant because Gillis and his staff value intelligence – it was one of the tipping points towards taking Cody Hodgson at last year’s draft. Elliott’s offensive game is more advanced than his defence right now, but he’d have plenty of time to incubate with the Canucks.

42What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty RUMOUR: Sedins offered 10 year contracts? Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

10 years, 50 million dollars (5 million per year, each)

I think this is a good deal for both sides personally. The Sedins were excellent for Vancouver - and with Kesler and Hodgson coming in as well, this team will be set at forward for a while. Their D is also strong - and their G couldn't be better - especially if they re-sign Luongo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/185973-is-a-10-year-contract-to-long-for-the-sedins

43What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:09 pm

That should get it done.

44What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would imagine this'll do it, yeah.

45What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good riddance. I didn't want to see their mugs on TV every time the Leafs played anyway. Are they worth it? They may have been but the novelty of twins has worn off. Will they produce at a $5M clip for 10 years? I doubt it. Where have they been before their contract year?

46What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 pm

They produce at a 7 million dollar pace right now... at least they would in Ottawa.

47What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:They produce at a 7 million dollar pace right now... at least they would in Ottawa.

Hey, Spezza and Heatley were producing more in their contract years. I'll ask again, where were the twins *before* their contract year?

48What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:23 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If I was Vancouver, I'd sign and trade the twins to Florida for Nathan Horton and the negotiating rights to Jay Bouwmeester.

And if Bouwmeester doesn't sign with them, I'd chase Marian Gaborik in the off-season and see how much he'd be willing to take to come and play with his pal Pavol Demitra.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum