GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Canucks?

+10
PKC
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hockeyhero22000
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
asq2
SensFan71
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

61What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:27 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:There is no way they will sign Sundin again. They mad a mistake, plain and simple. Now that mistake is a year older and slower. If Mats wants to play in the NHL next year he will have to take a large paycut.

He can come here for 3 million. I'm not even kidding, I would love to have him here. Hmmm.... Ahhhhh!

Really? He's a shadow of his former self. Poker must be hard on a 37-year-old body. All that betting abd bluffing, the late hours, wearing shades at night. No thank you, not even at $3M. Theonly way he stays injury free is if he doesn't push himself, and then he's just a big, slow body to get in the way of exciting prospects. I'd rather give Comrie $2.5M than have Sundin and his stupid gap-toothed face here, being cheered on by the Laffs fans for *41* games each season instead of six. And while they are cheering on Sundin, you can bet some of them would be booing Alfie.

No. Thank. You!

62What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:29 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Lucky Day wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:There is no way they will sign Sundin again. They mad a mistake, plain and simple. Now that mistake is a year older and slower. If Mats wants to play in the NHL next year he will have to take a large paycut.

He can come here for 3 million. I'm not even kidding, I would love to have him here. Hmmm.... Ahhhhh!

$3 million for 1/2 a season? Or a full one? Who knows when he'll decide whether or not to play.

He'll play a half season whether it's due to poker or injuries.

63What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:11 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Schroeder is being compared to Phil Kessel, but the RDS panel is somewhat skeptical of his potential effectiveness in the playoffs.

64What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:55 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Gillis grabs a Wing so the twins have someone new to fly with...

CANUCKS SIGN SAMUELSSON TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT
TSN.CA Staff report, July 3, 2009

The Vancouver Canucks made their first move in the free agent market, adding winger Mikael Samuelsson with a three-year deal.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

"Obviously that (the money) was the key, I shouldn't lie," Samuelsson said in a telephone conference call Friday after signing a three-year NHL deal with Vancouver.

"They have a good thing going and I think my role can be a little different here."

Samuelsson, 32, recorded 40 points in 81 games last season and 10 points in 23 playoff games with Detroit through to the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.

"I like the team," he said. "When you play against Vancouver it's always a hard game and a skill game too."

"You need some experience (to win the Cup). You need to be hungry. I believe we can do some damage."

In 466 career NHL games, he has 208 points and 244 penalty minutes. The Mariefred, Sweden native was a member of the 2007.08 Stanley Cup Champion team and has produced a career total of 35 points in 69 postseason games.

Samuelsson was a member of Team Sweden, winning gold at the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy in 2006, where he recorded four points in eight games.

The 6'1", 205-pound winger was drafted by San Jose 145th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

---

IMHO an excellent move by the Canucks. Samuelsson is one of those guys you don`t notice...until he scores a goal that kills you.

BTW wonder if Bryan Murray had tried to land him. Mik would have been great for the Sens, maybe paired with Foligno and Fisher. Tough, smart player.

65What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:43 pm

I dont think so Dave, gonna have to disagree with you on this one. The state Ottawa is in, unless they can bring in a guy who can at least put up similar point total's to Heatley then there just really is no point to bringing in anyone.

Samuelsson was a nice fit in Detroit, he will prob be a decent fit in Vancouver, but in Ottawa, people here would have been screaming for him to get traded come seasons end... maybe the worst possible fit for the guy at this point.

Van city made the right choice.

66What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:40 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I dont think so Dave, gonna have to disagree with you on this one. The state Ottawa is in, unless they can bring in a guy who can at least put up similar point total's to Heatley then there just really is no point to bringing in anyone.

Samuelsson was a nice fit in Detroit, he will prob be a decent fit in Vancouver, but in Ottawa, people here would have been screaming for him to get traded come seasons end... maybe the worst possible fit for the guy at this point.

Van city made the right choice.

Hockeytown's loss is VanCity's gain all right. 2 and half large is the going rate for big smart guys like Mike S. The Sedin Boys will have their playmate.
Wink

67What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Sedins already do in Alex Burrows.

Samuelsson's a decent player, but I agree with Neely that the Detroit system was, shall we say, conducive to his individual success.

68What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:51 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:The Sedins already do in Alex Burrows.

Samuelsson's a decent player, but I agree with Neely that the Detroit system was, shall we say, conducive to his individual success.

So the Nucks add an asset. Nothing wrong with having benefited from the system in Detroit, eh.

69What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:17 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The view from Vancouver...

Samuelsson's signing sure to have ripple effect
The Sedin twins are used to going into an NHL season not knowing who is going to be their right winger. It’s only July, but they already have two.
Jim Jamieson, The Vancouver Province, July 4, 2009

The Sedin twins are used to going into an NHL season not knowing who is going to be their right winger.

It’s only July, but they already have two.

It probably won’t play out quite that way, but that’s one of the reasons the Vancouver Canucks went after Mikael Samuelsson right away when the free-agency window opened on Wednesday.

The versatile winger, who spent the last four seasons in Detroit, took a day to mull multiple offers before accepting the Canucks’ three-year, $7.5-million contract, announced on Friday.

Based on the Canucks’ remaining cap space of about $7.21 million and the need to sign five more players, there appears to be insufficient money to bring Mats Sundin back.

But don’t let the numbers fool you. The Canucks are willing to make it happen even if it means making other moves to get back under the cap.

The Canucks like the 32-year-old Samuelsson because of his skill set — he’s big, he’s fast and he can shoot the puck — but also because he played on a line with Daniel and Henrik for the gold-medal-winning Swedes at the 2006 Olympics.

That’s not likely to be the case next season — as Alex Burrows will be the incumbent there — but you can expect the right-handed shot to get a lot of time with the Sedins on power plays. The Canucks also were attracted by the fact Samuelsson can play the point on the power play — he was a fixture there on Detroit’s second unit — and has a bomb for a shot.

And he’s not afraid to use it. Samuelsson was 24th in the NHL in shots last season, with 257, in only 15:22 of average ice-time per game. He averaged 16 goals and 39 points in his four seasons in Detroit.

Samuelsson, who played on the second and third lines in Detroit, said he had a number of offers but chose Vancouver because of a contract offer that more than doubled his $1.2 million salary of last season and a chance to be in a more offensive top-six role.

“It was to hopefully get more ice time and get more opportunities offensively,” said Samuelsson, who also knows Darcy Hordichuk and Roberto Luongo from his time in Florida.

Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning said the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder will get a prominent role.

“Certainly, we see him as a top six,” said Henning. “He’s a right-hand shot, which we love about him; his familiarity with the twins; he’s great on the power play; he’s got a great shot. There’s a lot of pluses.”

Henning said Samuelsson’s age — he’ll turn 36 in the final season of his deal — isn’t an issue.

“He’s in phenomenal shape,” said Henning. “He was one of their top-conditioned athletes.”

Clearly, Detroit coach Mike Babc0ck is sorry to see Samuelsson go in what was essentially a salary-cap squeeze. The Wings had offered him a multi-year deal for $1.5 million but it was too little, too late.

Here's what Babc0ck said about him during the Chicago series this year:
“Sammy’s one of these guys that’s a way better player than he believes. If he had the confidence in himself that some of these other guys do he’d be a high-end NHL player. Right now he’s just a good NHL player.’’

Just what ripple effect Mikael Samuelsson’s signing causes in the Canucks’ roster pool has yet to play out.

The addition of Samuelsson gives Vancouver a very credible second line, along with Ryan Kesler and Pavol Demitra, and some interesting options on the power play.

It also brings the number of players signed to NHL contracts for next season to 18 (11 forwards, six defencemen and one goalie), for a salary-cap hit of about $49.6 million.

That leaves Vancouver about $7.2 million below the cap ceiling of $56.8 million. However, it doesn’t include the expected salaries of unsigned-but-qualifed restricted free agents Kyle Wellwood, Jannik Hansen and Shane O’Brien. That trio made about $2.5 million between them last season.

Those numbers suggest it’s going to be tough to sign Mats Sundin and fill the other roster holes, a No. 5 defenceman and a back-up goalie, while staying under the cap.

But the Canucks are likely to have more roster moves in mind. They have 11 forwards signed and will probably carry 13 in the regular season. Once Wellwood and Hansen are signed, that leaves no room for the expected inclusion of Cody Hodgson or the possible addition of Sundin.

Something has to give.

And you can expect it will.

70What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

from tsn.ca

The Vancouver Canucks have announced the signing of free agent goaltender Andrew Raycroft.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Raycroft, 29, spent the 2008-09 season as a member of the Colorado
Avalanche where he posted a record of 12-16-0 with a 3.14
Goals-Against-Average and a .892 Save-Percentage.

In eight NHL seasons, the Belleville, Ontario native has played for
three teams including the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins who
originally selected him 135th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

In 230 career NHL games, Raycroft, has a record of 94-96-16, with six shutouts and a 2.90 GAA and .899 Save-Percentage.
I cant seem to fathom why vancouver would want to sign him if they are talking extension with luongo unless talks are going bad they also have schnieder in the minors

71What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:10 pm

That seems like a pretty good fit.

72What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:57 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

The Canucks have $65.8 mil committed to 17 signed players going into next season, with Yannick Weber and a couple of others sitting as RFAs. How long before they tear it down?

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-vancouver-canucks-1.300525

73What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:The Canucks have $65.8 mil committed to 17 signed players going into next season, with Yannick Weber and a couple of others sitting as RFAs. How long before they tear it down?

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-vancouver-canucks-1.300525

And that's *after* moving Luongo and losing Kessler. Who the heck are they paying all that money?

74What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Fun fact: The Canucks only have 3 guys making under $2M per year.

75What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote: Fun fact: The Canucks only have 3 guys making under $2M per year.

Decent team yet I still don't see much I would like to have from their lineup. Hansen? He'd be nice on our 3rd line. Real nice. Maybe Hamhuis or Bieksa? I know they have some good younger guys too but I'm talking about salaries they might want to clear out.

76What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:45 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Canucks are a team that's going to tread water for years... Leafs of the West.

77What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I heard a bunch of Canucks fan say they couldn't give Hamuis away even if they wanted to. I don't know about that personally. He might not be what he used to but I'd take him on our top 4 personally. Playing with ceci.

Maybe there's something to be done there. Canucks want to lower their budget. Maybe swap cowen for Hamuis or to make Neely happy work out a bigger deal that would bring Kassian also.

78What's Next for the Canucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Next for the Canucks? Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

They really remind me of the Devils. The core is getting way too old to be effective and they don't really seem to have a "replacement core" coming up. With the Sens, I look at guys like Ceci, Patty W (in theory), Stone, ZBad, Turris, etc as young players with lots of upside who are basically taking over as core players. Who do the Canucks have coming up the ranks? Other than Yannick Weber (who I think is a quality player), they've got almost no young players coming up to take on big roles. Devils are the same.

Time to blow it up, IMO. Their window closed after they lost to Boston. Time to retool.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum