GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM

+15
jamvan
SensGirl11
Acrobat
LeCaptain
strachattack
PKC
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
top shelf15
PTFlea
davetherave
The Silfer Server
Cap'n Clutch
Hockeyhero22000
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

151Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 11:22 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Well, all the guys I mentioned that Murray should target should be in the $2.75-3.75 million per year range.

So I think with a shrew move here or there, that it shouldn't be a problem to fit one of those guys in, if not a couple.

For instance, you can probably get Kurtis Foster for around 2.25 million per year, and Steve Sullivan in the 3.6 million range. Move Schubert and Smith and you've given yourself enough breathing room to bring those two in and leave that nice 2+ million cap cushion that Murray likes to have.

152Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Well, with the cap problems and all the D we have, I dont see Lee making this team either with a 1.3 mil cap hit. It's questionable is he is ready to be in the NHL right now let alone on a team that has a ton of D and cap issues. Trading Lee might not be the way to go, but keeping him in Bingo is, he really has no say at all.

Schubert is gone unless they can get rid of Donovan somehow and he agree's to play on the 4th line because he will not be a D in Ottawa.

Everything is hush-hush on Smith, but that 2.6 mil will be off the books at some point I think, but there is no way to be sure.

Unless Comrie signs at the league min there is no way he stays in Ottawa, even then its 100% questionable. Comrie is taking up a spot that could be taken up by Regin or perhaps the guy we draft at number 9 this year.

Auld, well, not sure what will happen there but he does have some trade value and with Elliott playing as well as he did there is really no need for him in Ottawa next year, especially with Elliott as an RFA and perhaps wanting a one way deal. Might have to make a deal for a goalie to play in Bingo somewhere down the line as well.

All in all, Murray has to be careful of the cap and who he brings in, but if one of the big contracts gets traded all bets are off.

That scenario seems less and less like an "If" and should probably be replaced with a "when."

153Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously we can only address needs with at least one big trade being part of the equation. I doubt Smith is tradeable and if you weigh the pros and cons, Schubert is an asset. He can fill in when needed at either forward or D, or in many cases both within a game.

The Senators need to part with a valuable player to get value. On top of that, it has to be someone making significant dollars. Otherwise, the coach will just have to squeeze everything he can out of what he's got. Which really isn't that bad.

154Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 1:20 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bryan Murray hears this song in a recurring dream...

155Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm

PKC wrote:Well, all the guys I mentioned that Murray should target should be in the $2.75-3.75 million per year range.

So I think with a shrew move here or there, that it shouldn't be a problem to fit one of those guys in, if not a couple.

For instance, you can probably get Kurtis Foster for around 2.25 million per year, and Steve Sullivan in the 3.6 million range. Move Schubert and Smith and you've given yourself enough breathing room to bring those two in and leave that nice 2+ million cap cushion that Murray likes to have.

You can def go out and sign those guys, but UFA signings have never won a stanley cup and will never win a stanley cup. Right now Ottawa needs to find out who they want to go forward with and who they think they can win with. Some moves have been made already but as of now I think it is addition by subtraction in Ottawa.

156Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 2:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not really sure why everyone thinks Jason Smith isn't tradeable. Talk about a guy you need to have for a playoff run.

157Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Not really sure why everyone thinks Jason Smith isn't tradeable. Talk about a guy you need to have for a playoff run.

I agree, for some teams that are close, this could be the guy that puts them over the edge. He was a captain, he's a warrior with oodles of experience and provides a lot of "intangibles" a team needs to be successful in the playoffs.

158Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Not really sure why everyone thinks Jason Smith isn't tradeable. Talk about a guy you need to have for a playoff run.
HE might not even come back. His knee is is really rough shape and I've heard he could end up on the IR and then retire.

159Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 3:19 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Fair enough. "Not tradeable" doesn't really express what I meant. But I don't think he can moved in the summer to make room for UFAs, only at the next deadline maybe.

The day after the injury I think the Name Dropper said it was potentially career-ending. Stay tuned.

160Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 3:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Fair enough. "Not tradeable" doesn't really express what I meant. But I don't think he can moved in the summer to make room for UFAs, only at the next deadline maybe.

The day after the injury I think the Name Dropper said it was potentially career-ending. Stay tuned.

Oh, okay, I see what you mean.

I've also heard his knee is in rough shape - and that it might be potentially career ending. Wouldn't it be neat for him to miss 3/4 of the season, come back for the final 10 games, not hurt us cap wise and then kick arse in the playoffs (if we make it that is).

That would be a cool end to this potentially sad story.

161Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:00 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:
PKC wrote:Well, all the guys I mentioned that Murray should target should be in the $2.75-3.75 million per year range.

You can def go out and sign those guys, but UFA signings have never won a stanley cup and will never win a stanley cup. Right now Ottawa needs to find out who they want to go forward with and who they think they can win with. Some moves have been made already but as of now I think it is addition by subtraction in Ottawa.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean.

Teams need to sign UFAs to compete in the NHL, because there needs to be a compliment to the drafted talent you get from your farm system.

And seeing as how we have an established group of players we are trying to build around, I don't see how those signings wouldn't work out for us.

Look at this lineup, and tell me this isn't a playoff roster:

Alfredsson-Spezza-Sullivan
Foligno-Fisher-Heatley
Shannon-Kelly-Regin
Donovan-Bass-Ruutu
Winchester

Kuba-Phillips
Volchenkov-Campoli
Foster-Picard
Lee

Leclaire
Elliott
Auld

The signings aren't intended to be the team, they are intended to compliment the core of players we have chosen to try and win the cup with. In today's NHL, the risk of a UFA signing is just as great as the risk of going with the youth in your farm system and hoping they make an easy transition and produce for you.

162Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:06 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'd love to target those two guys, especially Foster. Sullivan, I believe would be a good fit if he can stay healthy.

The one problem with Sullivan, other than the injuries, is that I've read he's looking for a medium term contract, in the 3 year range. I'm not sure how I feel about that considering his age and injury history.

163Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One little thing PKC, nothing major, but from what I've seen and heard, Regin's a waster at anywhere other than center.

So if you can get Kelly on the wing, it would work out better.

164Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:I'd love to target those two guys, especially Foster. Sullivan, I believe would be a good fit if he can stay healthy.

The one problem with Sullivan, other than the injuries, is that I've read he's looking for a medium term contract, in the 3 year range. I'm not sure how I feel about that considering his age and injury history.

There are issues here Bass.

First, Minny didn't need to give Foster a contract when he got hurt, but they did as a sign of good faith. They were great to him throughout this rehab and surgery etc. I would really imagine that he stays on with the Wild.

Pretty much the same scenario for Nashville. They were always quite close in terms of supporting Sullivan and his comeback. I think he'll stay there as well.

165Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:20 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I'd love to target those two guys, especially Foster. Sullivan, I believe would be a good fit if he can stay healthy.

There are issues here Bass.

First, Minny didn't need to give Foster a contract when he got hurt, but they did as a sign of good faith. They were great to him throughout this rehab and surgery etc. I would really imagine that he stays on with the Wild.

Pretty much the same scenario for Nashville. They were always quite close in terms of supporting Sullivan and his comeback. I think he'll stay there as well.

I heard that Nashville didn't want to sign Sullivan to a long contract, that they wanted to re-sign him, but to a 1 or 2 year contract.

And I've heard the same thing about Foster. The fans also seem to love him, and he always does so much for the community.

166Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 pm

PKC, the point I was trying to make is, right now the core the Sens have isnt good enough to win the cup and the leadership from the people who are supposed to be providing it, cant. No UFA will help this team because its simply a matter of the players we currently have no being able to do the job.

Our defense isnt good enough to compete with the best teams in the league and the Sens weapons up front have been shut down for well over a year now (2 seasons almost) and they bring nothing else to the game when they dont produce.

The makeup of the team is totally wrong and Murray started the transition by obtaining Leclaire and resigning Kuba. No UFA will make this team better or more competitive up front, on the back end, if its the right guy, thats the way to go.

A lot of things to be sorted out in house before they go out and start signing guys.

167Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
I heard that Nashville didn't want to sign Sullivan to a long contract, that they wanted to re-sign him, but to a 1 or 2 year contract.

And I've heard the same thing about Foster. The fans also seem to love him, and he always does so much for the community.

Fair enough. Recently there have been reports that he wants a 3-4 year deal at 4+ million (Sullivan that is).

168Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 11 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:right now the core the Sens have isnt good enough to win the cup and the leadership from the people who are supposed to be providing it, cant. No UFA will help this team because its simply a matter of the players we currently have not being able to do the job.

The makeup of the team is totally wrong and Murray started the transition by obtaining Leclaire and resigning Kuba. No UFA will make this team better or more competitive up front, on the back end, if its the right guy, thats the way to go.

A lot of things to be sorted out in house before they go out and start signing guys.

I may not agree with everything N4L says, but I think this is a good summary of where the team is at.

Murray is in the process of re-constructing the team, and his actions thus far suggest that he is building from the goal-line outward. As he rebuilds, he is clearly trying to eliminate the "character issues" that may persist (what we believe/know about them is not relevant to this discussion). He has also made moves that, for the most part, are cap-savvy - the exceptions possibly being Spezza and Fisher.

I would doubt that he'll bring in a high-priced UFA at this point unless we are shipping out a higher-priced talent; even if the cap does go up next year, it will drop the subsequent year(s), and Murray will be aware of the implications.

(IIRC, the way the NTCs are set up, it states that if Spezza is traded before July 1, the team that gets him is under no obligation to honour the NTC, however if the trade occurs on or after July 1, the NTC stands. Therefore, Spezza is actually more valuable before UFA day.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum