GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM

+15
jamvan
SensGirl11
Acrobat
LeCaptain
strachattack
PKC
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
top shelf15
PTFlea
davetherave
The Silfer Server
Cap'n Clutch
Hockeyhero22000
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 13]

16Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:My bad guys, i just wrote a nearly 1000 word rebuttal to Dave on the other post referring to Bryan Murray's work as GM... I'll copy paste it here, but i'm not sure how I would go about deleting it from there.

In your post you should have an x beside Edit. Just click that and then confirm the deletion. I can do it for you this time if you like?

Next to Edit i just have the exclamation mark, in case i want to report my own post as being offensive and want to report it to you. Which is fair, I offend even myself at times. So if you could delete it this time, that would be great. Thanks Cap!

LOL! Now that takes talent.

17Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:45 pm

How was dealing Meszaros (who played like crap in Tampa and Ottawa the last 2 years before he was dealt) for Kuba, Picard, and SJ 1st a bad trade? Kuba for Meszaros straight up in a steal for Ottawa let alone grabbing Picard who is almost on the same level with Meszaros and a 1st that turned into Campoli who has such a large upside that could turn out to be a total steal as well. If anything that was Murray's best deal with the Shannon one.

Murray's only real poor decisions so far have been the coaches, but that seems to be worked out now as well.

Leclaire and a 2nd for Vermette could very well turn into a trade that we look back on as the one that changed the Sens organization around, let alone picking up a 2nd that could pan out in the future. Vermette and the Jackets won the same amount of playoff games as the Sens did, and if Anahiem wins thats also one more draft position that pick moves up.

The Carolina deal is bascially a none issue, you got rid of Corvo who didnt want to be here and was basically not wanted by Ottawa, losing Eaves is still kind of tough because he fit in well in Ottawa, but he couldnt stay healthy. The train was off the tracks in Ottawa before that deal was made and Murray tried to turn things around quick when it needed to be done, it didnt work. We lost basically nothing of any value in that trade for something that had the potential at the time to help the Sens.

Murray entire body of work in Ottawa has been solid, but he will be judged on what happens with Spezza and Heatley IMO. Reason being he has a chance to move Spezza and his salary before July 1, if he doesnt, and Spezza and/or Heatley stay in the tank and dont improve any signifigant amount, then that falls right on Murray. I'm not talking about moving for 70 points to 80 points, I'm talking about moving from 11th in the East 6th or higher in the East, because at the end of the day its a team game, and this "team" has all its eggs in one basket up front right now, if they cant get it done (not just 1 round and out either) then its Murray's a$$.

18Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:50 pm

hemlock wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:Hemlock,

What specific trades are you unhappy about ?

What makes Poile's resume so great ?

The Mezsaros trade sucked. He should have forced Tampa to cough up their first either way. Either let them sign an offer sheet or force them to give us their pick along with Kuba. Picard I could have done without.

The Corvo/Eaves deal blew up in his face. The Lapointe deal did nothing for us, and there are a couple of other deals that the jury is still out on (Campoli for SJ's first) (Vermette for Leclaire).

David Poile has been a good GM for a long, long time. He was the GM in Washington for 15 years, at which time they were successful, making the playoffs in nearly all of those seasons. In Nashville, he's been able to build a competitive team (this year they were decimated by injuries, so I'll cut him some slack), on a fixed budget. He also manages to keep his system absolutely LOADED with talent. I'd trade our farm system with Nashville's in a heartbeat.

His experience is immense and can work within the restraints of practically any budget. He's the 7th longest tenured GM in league history. 26 years in that position with Washington and Nashville. And yet, he managed to evolve with the game. I don't think there are many better guys out there. Period.
Mezaros:

There is no guarantee that Tampa was going to put in an offer sheet. Even if they did we needed defensemen for this season. You say hold out for Kuba and their 1st. No way were they going to go with that, seeing as how deep this years draft is.

Lapointe:

It cost us a sixth round pick. Big deal. Nothing lost there.

Corvo/Eaves:

Were you one of the people screaming prior to the trade that Corvo needed to go and we needed some secondary scoring. I also remember many people screaming that Mike Commodore is exactly the type of player we needed. Corvo wanted out and Eaves is perpetually injured. Where would Eaves have played this year, in Shannon or Foligno's spots. Eaves was surplus and Murray took a shot to fix the team.

Campoli:

The jury is still out but we have been looking for puck moving defencemen, and he is cheap.

Leclaire:

Potentially the answer to our biggest problem since the franchise's inception, and we receive a 2nd round pick. Honestly, did you really miss Vermette down the stretch. I really liked Vermette and was hesitant to trade him, but seriously realized how little he brought once he was gone.

So, while I agree he hasn't really hit the ball out the park in the trade market, he hasn't done too badly.

19Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Gang, as I said in the previous thread, to summarize...

The new NHL offers a whole new set of challenges, or maybe better said, the same challenges in a new environment.

Just a few:

--Salary Cap
--CBA
--younger players making more money more quickly; how do you keep them from thinking of themselves as 'rock stars'?
--finding coaches to know how to communicate and motivate
--the product has to be not only winning, but entertaining
--a larger and larger pool of prospects requiring better management of scouting resources
--transitioning out older players whose skills are diminishing in favour of younger ones without destroying the team
--finding a balance in team assets and chemistry
--managing contracts that are becoming more expensive and more complex...and difficult to trade
--assessing and forecasting the impact of UFAs and RFAs

IMHO Bryan Murray has a respectable reputation as a GM.

He had mixed results in Detroit from 1990-94.

He did well in Florida in 1996, but less well by the time he left in 2000.

OK in Anaheim in '02, not so well in '04.

As a GM in Ottawa since '07-08, a controversial tenure so far.

My view is that Bryan Murray's immense hockey knowledge is valuable to the Senators, and that he should remain in a key senior position.

But I believe that the Sens' 'brain trust' requires someone who has a better grasp of the current landscape, and the ability to make the adjustments necessary to keep a team competitive on a consistent basis.

One of the 'New Wave' of GMs, in other words.

Hence the beginnings of what promises to be a fascinating discussion.

20Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 pm

RobbyJ wrote:
hemlock wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:Hemlock,

What specific trades are you unhappy about ?

What makes Poile's resume so great ?

The Mezsaros trade sucked. He should have forced Tampa to cough up their first either way. Either let them sign an offer sheet or force them to give us their pick along with Kuba. Picard I could have done without.

The Corvo/Eaves deal blew up in his face. The Lapointe deal did nothing for us, and there are a couple of other deals that the jury is still out on (Campoli for SJ's first) (Vermette for Leclaire).

David Poile has been a good GM for a long, long time. He was the GM in Washington for 15 years, at which time they were successful, making the playoffs in nearly all of those seasons. In Nashville, he's been able to build a competitive team (this year they were decimated by injuries, so I'll cut him some slack), on a fixed budget. He also manages to keep his system absolutely LOADED with talent. I'd trade our farm system with Nashville's in a heartbeat.

His experience is immense and can work within the restraints of practically any budget. He's the 7th longest tenured GM in league history. 26 years in that position with Washington and Nashville. And yet, he managed to evolve with the game. I don't think there are many better guys out there. Period.
Mezaros:

There is no guarantee that Tampa was going to put in an offer sheet. Even if they did we needed defensemen for this season. You say hold out for Kuba and their 1st. No way were they going to go with that, seeing as how deep this years draft is.

Lapointe:

It cost us a sixth round pick. Big deal. Nothing lost there.

Corvo/Eaves:

Were you one of the people screaming prior to the trade that Corvo needed to go and we needed some secondary scoring. I also remember many people screaming that Mike Commodore is exactly the type of player we needed. Corvo wanted out and Eaves is perpetually injured. Where would Eaves have played this year, in Shannon or Foligno's spots. Eaves was surplus and Murray took a shot to fix the team.

Campoli:

The jury is still out but we have been looking for puck moving defencemen, and he is cheap.

Leclaire:

Potentially the answer to our biggest problem since the franchise's inception, and we receive a 2nd round pick. Honestly, did you really miss Vermette down the stretch. I really liked Vermette and was hesitant to trade him, but seriously realized how little he brought once he was gone.

So, while I agree he hasn't really hit the ball out the park in the trade market, he hasn't done too badly.

Campoli and Leclaire cannot accurately be judged yet, like I said. Yes, I like the Corvo/Eaves move at the time, like most of us. Yes, Murray tried to fix the team by dealing Corvo and Eaves, but it blew up in his face because the guys he acquired walked for nothing, so essentially, we gave Corvo and Eaves away. Not acceptable. Corvo, Eaves, Redden, Chara........How much talent can we lose for nothing in return?

Lapointe. He wasn't worth even a 6th at the time. That deal just reeked of desperation. Think back that deadline day. That deal came down late and Murray has already struck out. It served no purpose and Lapointe contributions equalled squat for the Sens. I'd still rather have a 6th.

I beg to differ about Tampa. They had totally remade their team and were optimistic at the time. They were really aggresive in pursuing what they wanted so I don't think it's a stretch to think that at the time we could have coaxed that pick out of them. Maybe the offer sheet wasn't a viable option, but I remember listening to Ray Shero, who owned one of the picks Tampa needed to reacquire in order to sign Mez to an offer sheet saying they could have it, at the right price. It was no secret that they were hot after that pick from Pittsburgh. It was a 3rd I believe. Why that pick in particular? The answer seems pretty obvious to me: to tender Mez an offer sheet. So it would seem that Tampa's preference at the time was to sign Mez outright and give up the picks, so they were obviously prepared to part with their first one way or another.

21Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:10 pm

At the end of the day, even if it wasnt the trade directly, by dealing Mesxaros you aquired Campoli and Picard (both of whom put together are less than 1/2 od meszaros cap hit) and Kuba (who is a much better player than Meszaros on almost every level.

The cap is a major factor in these deal and Murray has done a great job working around it up until now.

As far as Commardore and Stillman, Columbus offered Commadore an insane amount that he isnt worth to about 90% of the teams in the league, and Stillman walked for nothing more or less. At the end of the day that was a deal Murray had to make and its not like a franchise player walked out the door or even two guys that wanted to be in Ottawa. You lost a guy that didnt want to be here and an injury prone 3rd/4th liner. I can live with that. At least he didnt stand pat when things were going down hill, he did what he could, thats all you can ask, all the rest fell on the players.

Again, Murray will be judged on the contract HE GAVE to Heatley and Spezza. If they are still here next year and the Sens have another abismal year like this year and the year before, when Murray had a chance to move at least one of them, then he should be fired IMO. Its up to the GM to know who he can win with and who the team will be successful with.

22Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Neely4Life wrote:How was dealing Meszaros (who played like crap in Tampa and Ottawa the last 2 years before he was dealt) for Kuba, Picard, and SJ 1st a bad trade? Kuba for Meszaros straight up in a steal for Ottawa let alone grabbing Picard who is almost on the same level with Meszaros and a 1st that turned into Campoli who has such a large upside that could turn out to be a total steal as well. If anything that was Murray's best deal with the Shannon one.

Murray's only real poor decisions so far have been the coaches, but that seems to be worked out now as well.

Leclaire and a 2nd for Vermette could very well turn into a trade that we look back on as the one that changed the Sens organization around, let alone picking up a 2nd that could pan out in the future. Vermette and the Jackets won the same amount of playoff games as the Sens did, and if Anahiem wins thats also one more draft position that pick moves up.

The Carolina deal is bascially a none issue, you got rid of Corvo who didnt want to be here and was basically not wanted by Ottawa, losing Eaves is still kind of tough because he fit in well in Ottawa, but he couldnt stay healthy. The train was off the tracks in Ottawa before that deal was made and Murray tried to turn things around quick when it needed to be done, it didnt work. We lost basically nothing of any value in that trade for something that had the potential at the time to help the Sens.

Murray entire body of work in Ottawa has been solid, but he will be judged on what happens with Spezza and Heatley IMO. Reason being he has a chance to move Spezza and his salary before July 1, if he doesnt, and Spezza and/or Heatley stay in the tank and dont improve any signifigant amount, then that falls right on Murray. I'm not talking about moving for 70 points to 80 points, I'm talking about moving from 11th in the East 6th or higher in the East, because at the end of the day its a team game, and this "team" has all its eggs in one basket up front right now, if they cant get it done (not just 1 round and out either) then its Murray's a$$.

Kuba for Mez straight up is a steal for Ottawa? That's where I stopped reading to have a good chuckle. Kuba is a decent player, but to suggest he's a steal for Mez who's a talented young 20-something is just plain nonsense. Mez is more talented offensively, and the difference defensively isn't much.

It's straight up laughable that you can suggest that Murray's "entire body of work in Ottawa has been solid" then later in the same paragraph, suggest that if he fails to move Spezza, it's his Donkey.

You change your mind so much, it's hard to keep up. I haven't been around much, so gimme a day or two to adjust to your current opinions, that is if you haven't changed them by then.

23Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Neely4Life wrote:At the end of the day, even if it wasnt the trade directly, by dealing Mesxaros you aquired Campoli and Picard (both of whom put together are less than 1/2 od meszaros cap hit) and Kuba (who is a much better player than Meszaros on almost every level.

The cap is a major factor in these deal and Murray has done a great job working around it up until now.

As far as Commardore and Stillman, Columbus offered Commadore an insane amount that he isnt worth to about 90% of the teams in the league, and Stillman walked for nothing more or less. At the end of the day that was a deal Murray had to make and its not like a franchise player walked out the door or even two guys that wanted to be in Ottawa. You lost a guy that didnt want to be here and an injury prone 3rd/4th liner. I can live with that. At least he didnt stand pat when things were going down hill, he did what he could, thats all you can ask, all the rest fell on the players.

Again, Murray will be judged on the contract HE GAVE to Heatley and Spezza. If they are still here next year and the Sens have another abismal year like this year and the year before, when Murray had a chance to move at least one of them, then he should be fired IMO. Its up to the GM to know who he can win with and who the team will be successful with.

Funny, after the craptistic year we had last season, I would have thought this year should have been the put-up-or-shut-up for those two, particularly Spezza. Time will tell, but I for one won't be impressed if we are still carrying 4 large contracts when July 1 hits, unless one of those contracts is replaced with that of a stud D-man.

24Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:BD, thanks for your insightful response.

First off, none of my examples are meant as a suggestion these are 'superstar GMs'.

And yes, some of them have had more talent to work with than others.

When I refer to 'agility' it does not imply 'instant results', but as I said, the ability to adapt to the changing situation.

In
Shero's case, he did inherit a strong base from Craig Patrick, but
continued to modify his personnel to surround Crosby, Malkin and Staal
with a improved supporting cast.

Though he re-signed Michel
Therrien who had taken the team to the Finals, he replaced him with Dan
Bylsma when the team was in danger of missing the playoffs. He traded
young talent for Hossa, which was a gamble and lost a number of players
to free agency; but adjusted his roster bringing in Kunitz and Guerin
at a critical juncture. The result is that following their run to the
Cup Final, the Pens are now moving again into the 2nd round this year
and have broken the mythical 'Finalists jinx'.

We could talk
about Tallon's success, but that would require a complete post to give
you the full picture. Suffice to say his work is even more impressive
considering how badly the franchise was damaged prior to his
appointment. He has built a team that is just starting to show what it
can do. In addition to their on-ice success--their highest point total in 16 years--the Chicago Blackhawks now lead the NHL in attendance.

The point is that none of these decisions are easy or simple, and all entail risk.

That,
and all of the extraordinary complex aspects of financial management,
the CBA, and a list of factors too long to mention, make the task of
being a GM in the NHL even more challenging than ever.

This is
why I believe that a 'New Wave' of GMs is bound to replace 'Old School'
GMs like Bryan Murray whose talents and knowledge, are, IMHO, better
utilized in a senior advisory role, as for example Scotty Bowman has
done in Detroit and Chicago.

In your reply, you eloquently focus on certain instances that explain why things didn't go as planned.

However,
a successful GM in the new NHL cannot focus on those things. In order
to field competitive teams in an increasingly competitive league, with
shorter and shorter windows of opportunity to succeed, they must be
'agile' in their thinking, and their action.

The Senators have
fallen very quickly indeed from their position as contenders. This can
be seen as requiring urgent action, or a need for a rethinking of the
team's approach.

But saying just a 'few tweaks' are needed
is, in my view, an insult to the intelligence of Ottawa's very
intelligent hockey fans--like the ones who make up the membership of
this excellent forum.

Returning to the origins of the
discussion, the Senators simply cannot afford to 'do nothing'--and in
my estimation, to do the kinds of minor changes they have made over the
past two years--if they intend to reverse their downward trend.

I would like to start off by retracting the "superstar GMs" comment. It was unfair, and I was oversimplifying while also putting words in your mouth... errr... words in your fingers???

You say agility refers to adapting to changing environments. Well Murray's changing environment had to do with signing the few assets he had available (in Heater and Spezza) and retool the team. I agree with you that it will take more than tweaking the roster to be successful. However, time is what is needed. Patience is a virtue, and I believe that is what the Sens will need, with the maturing of Wiercioch, Karlsson, Elliott, and future prospects.

But the 'changing environment' for Shero and Tallon were different than that of Murray. They were both starting with pretty clean slates. Both had prospects who were in development, but neither had franchise players on hand. They could both design their teams from scratch, trade off what they didn't like, add what they wanted, and face minimal public outcry, as their teams had struggle in the recent past.

This was the polar opposite to the situation Bryan Murray was in. He inherited a team that had just some out of the finals, and had to face huge decisions. He hired poor coaches, and i'm not defending him for that, in my opinion, that has by far been his weakest quality. He was in a situation where his team had jsut been successful, and any major movements would fall under great scrutiny and public outcry. So he did what people expected, and what seemed to be the best course of action, one I still defend and believe was best, re-signed Heatley and Spezza. They both had paltry years, but next season is a new season, and I believe they will rebound.

These signings, along with the signing of Fisher (which i felt was about half a million too much) and Alfie's generosity has put a bit of a stranglehold on the our cap, locking up 23 of the 53 million. One could argue that Bryan Murray was responsible for the Gerber signing, as Gerber was his former goalie in Anaheim, however, with free agent signings, the ultimate say belongs to the GM. Muckler negotiated the contract and signed him. It is much more difficult to be agile, and be able to make moves when you are close against the cap. Obviously, the more room you have, the easier it is to be agile, and the less risky moves become.

But to get back to the subject of a 'few tweaks' in order to be competitive, i mostly agree with you that this is not accurate. I say mostly because, I agree with your assessment that in order to be Cup contenders next year, much more than a few tweaks is needed. Not quite an entire overhaul (not that that's what you said) but a couple of major moves would be required. However, I would say if e are willing to be patient, then a with a few tweaks, and a couple of years, I do believe we will be in a position to be Cup contenders.

From there we can enter a whole new argument on Faith. But, I would really prefer we didn't.

25Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

hemlock wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:At the end of the day, even if it wasnt the trade directly, by dealing Mesxaros you aquired Campoli and Picard (both of whom put together are less than 1/2 od meszaros cap hit) and Kuba (who is a much better player than Meszaros on almost every level.

Funny, after the craptistic year we had last season, I would have thought this year should have been the put-up-or-shut-up for those two, particularly Spezza. Time will tell, but I for one won't be impressed if we are still carrying 4 large contracts when July 1 hits, unless one of those contracts is replaced with that of a stud D-man.

I think there are 1 of two contracts that have to move. The stud D man, maybe Murray has something in plan for this year or next, but who knows. I wont be happy either of there are 2, 7 million dollar contracts that he gave out, on the books. Thats what will make or break Murray in Ottawa.

26Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Kuba for Mez straight up is a steal for Ottawa? That's where I stopped reading to have a good chuckle. Kuba is a decent player, but to suggest he's a steal for Mez who's a talented young 20-something is just plain nonsense. Mez is more talented offensively, and the difference defensively isn't much.

Perhaps a steal is the wrong word, but Kuba is so much more steady than Mez is. It's not even close in my eyes. I would take Kuba over Mez any day of the week - and long term as well.

The difference defensively might be more than you think Hem. I see what you're saying, but I also think Kuba trumps Mez.

27Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm

hemlock wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:How was dealing Meszaros (who played like crap in Tampa and Ottawa the last 2 years before he was dealt) for Kuba, Picard, and SJ 1st a bad trade? Kuba for Meszaros straight up in a steal for Ottawa let alone grabbing Picard who is almost on the same level with Meszaros and a 1st that turned into Campoli who has such a large upside that could turn out to be a total steal as well. If anything that was Murray's best deal with the Shannon one.

It's straight up laughable that you can suggest that Murray's "entire body of work in Ottawa has been solid" then later in the same paragraph, suggest that if he fails to move Spezza, it's his Donkey.

You change your mind so much, it's hard to keep up. I haven't been around much, so gimme a day or two to adjust to your current opinions, that is if you haven't changed them by then.

Meszaros has done what in the NHL. Rode the coatails of Redden, Chara, and Phillips his first year in the league on a great Sens team, then sucked the next two doing nothing of any real value to the team. Kuba is a better player than him, smarter, bigger, more expierenced, better puck mover, better defensivly, all of it. It doesnt matter if Meszaros is 20 something, I'm 20 something doesnt make me a 4 million dollar, number 1 D man. Doesnt make Meszaros that either, because he isnt. 3 of his 4 years in the NHL have been spotty at best. Tampa took a serious gamble on him and so far they have lost. Kuba is a superior player and plays against teams top 2 lines eveyr night and was still the only D man with a plus rating in Ottawa this year at the same time putting up 40 points, impressive to say the least.

How is having forsight into what will either be Murray's success or demise "changing my opinion", if you cant keep up jr then dont reply. Murray's body of work has been solid up until now, but if he fails to correct mistakes that were made and it cost the Sens in the future, then it is most certainly going to cost Murray his job and the Sens will be in trouble.

28Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
I would like to start off by retracting the "superstar GMs" comment. It was unfair, and I was oversimplifying while also putting words in your mouth... errr... words in your fingers???

You say agility refers to adapting to changing environments. Well Murray's changing environment had to do with signing the few assets he had available (in Heater and Spezza) and retool the team. I agree with you that it will take more than tweaking the roster to be successful. However, time is what is needed. Patience is a virtue, and I believe that is what the Sens will need, with the maturing of Wiercioch, Karlsson, Elliott, and future prospects.

But the 'changing environment' for Shero and Tallon were different than that of Murray. They were both starting with pretty clean slates. Both had prospects who were in development, but neither had franchise players on hand. They could both design their teams from scratch, trade off what they didn't like, add what they wanted, and face minimal public outcry, as their teams had struggle in the recent past.

This was the polar opposite to the situation Bryan Murray was in. He inherited a team that had just some out of the finals, and had to face huge decisions. He hired poor coaches, and i'm not defending him for that, in my opinion, that has by far been his weakest quality. He was in a situation where his team had jsut been successful, and any major movements would fall under great scrutiny and public outcry. So he did what people expected, and what seemed to be the best course of action, one I still defend and believe was best, re-signed Heatley and Spezza. They both had paltry years, but next season is a new season, and I believe they will rebound.

These signings, along with the signing of Fisher (which i felt was about half a million too much) and Alfie's generosity has put a bit of a stranglehold on the our cap, locking up 23 of the 53 million. One could argue that Bryan Murray was responsible for the Gerber signing, as Gerber was his former goalie in Anaheim, however, with free agent signings, the ultimate say belongs to the GM. Muckler negotiated the contract and signed him. It is much more difficult to be agile, and be able to make moves when you are close against the cap. Obviously, the more room you have, the easier it is to be agile, and the less risky moves become.

But to get back to the subject of a 'few tweaks' in order to be competitive, i mostly agree with you that this is not accurate. I say mostly because, I agree with your assessment that in order to be Cup contenders next year, much more than a few tweaks is needed. Not quite an entire overhaul (not that that's what you said) but a couple of major moves would be required. However, I would say if e are willing to be patient, then a with a few tweaks, and a couple of years, I do believe we will be in a position to be Cup contenders.

From there we can enter a whole new argument on Faith. But, I would really prefer we didn't.

I would almost go as far as to guarantee the Sens make a major push towards getting back to the Cup Finals - and hopefully winning it - but no one guarantees these things anymore. It's unfair to the rest of the teams - most of whom are very well put together.

In terms of what you've written, I think you're very close to what Murray and Melnyk have in mind. Patience...a couple of years, the maturation process of everyone: Foligno, Shannon, Bass, Winchester, Campoli, Lee, Picard, Wiercioch, Karlsson, Z.Smith, Zubov, Sandin, Petersson, Caporusso, Grant, Greening - and perhaps most importantly Spezza and Heatley.

29Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote: I would like to start off by retracting the "superstar GMs" comment. It was unfair, and I was oversimplifying while also putting words in your mouth... errr... words in your fingers???

BD, I think you hit on some very key points.

It easy to be critical of Bryan Murray and to debate the wisdom of his decisions, but of course we have a very limited access to information about the factors behind those decisions.

So let's look at things as they are, and go from there.

You mentioned Dale Tallon and the Khabibulin contract. This is an EXCELLENT example of the kind of challenge a GM faces nowadays.

When Tallon came to Chicago, the Blackhawks were a mess.

He signed Khabby and Adrian Aucoin (who is from Ottawa BTW) as a foundation based on investing heavily in goaltending and defense.

At the time, Nik had just won a Cup. Good, logical decision.

Aucoin was a consistent, solid defenseman with excellent offensive numbers who was named Captain of the Hawks. Again, good logical decision.

Both signings proved to deliver less than expected. Aucoin was injured so much he finally had to be unloaded to Calgary for Andrei Zyuzin (!)and Steve Marr (!!). On the face of it, a disaster.

The Bulin Wall, with a shaky defense in front of him, put up mediocre numbers. So this didn't look good.

Going into last season, Tallon decided he would cover his bets--as Nik was in the last year of his contract--by signing Cristobal Huet away from Washington, who had solid credentials and good, if not great playoff performance.

Cap issues, however, meant he now had to try to move Nik, and when he got no takers, he was obliged to waive him after a deal to loan him to the KHL went south.

Again, no takers.

Then Khabibulin comes back and has a stellar year as the Hawks surge.

The Aucoin deal, while it didn't work out, bought Tallon some time until the young defense was ready.

Tallon systematically weeded out the players who didn't fit his plan--not without difficulty. Drafting well--and fortunately--helped. Witness Toews, Barker, Seabrook, Kane, Bolland, Byfuglien..the Blackhawks also have an excellent pipeline of prospects. And smart trades...Sharp, Versteeg, Eager, Walker...

Martin Havlat looked like a bust until he recovered from his injuries to become the Hawks' scoring leader.

The Bryan Campbell signing has been questioned...but Campbell has proven to be that added dimension to the Hawks' attack that helps all the others to flourish.

At the trade deadline he moved James Wisniewski to the Ducks for Sammy Pahlsson. A brilliant move, as it not only solved the Hawks' problems at center but opened up a spot for the very talented Nik Hjalmarsson who is already a young Kronwall.

The coaching of Denis Savard and Joel Quenneville has been instrumental. The work of Rick Dudley, Stan Bowman and Scotty Bowman has been key.

The Hawks are being built using elements of the Detroit model...and I can say objectively that with their talent, they may well become the powerhouse that the Wings are now, in the future.

But nothing is guaranteed.

So, I've abbreviated this somewhat, but the point is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to judge a GM's performance from a fan's perspective.

30Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Meszaros has done what in the NHL. Rode the coatails of Redden, Chara, and Phillips his first year in the league on a great Sens team, then sucked the next two doing nothing of any real value to the team. Kuba is a better player than him, smarter, bigger, more expierenced, better puck mover, better defensivly, all of it. It doesnt matter if Meszaros is 20 something, I'm 20 something doesnt make me a 4 million dollar, number 1 D man. Doesnt make Meszaros that either, because he isnt. 3 of his 4 years in the NHL have been spotty at best. Tampa took a serious gamble on him and so far they have lost. Kuba is a superior player and plays against teams top 2 lines eveyr night and was still the only D man with a plus rating in Ottawa this year at the same time putting up 40 points, impressive to say the least.

How is having forsight into what will either be Murray's success or demise "changing my opinion", if you cant keep up jr then dont reply. Murray's body of work has been solid up until now, but if he fails to correct mistakes that were made and it cost the Sens in the future, then it is most certainly going to cost Murray his job and the Sens will be in trouble.

This is quite a bit of brilliance here. Of course I cannot keep up. I have a family and a job. I guess by you're rationale I should either read everything you post before commenting or failing that not post at all? Get over your Diddle self please. I'm sure you take the time to read EVERY post on here? Too funny.

I cannot for the life of me see how you can't see how your Murray logic is flawed. On one hand you claim that his body of work has been solid (save for the bad trades and coaching circus I guess), then turn around and claim that he will lose his job solely because of a couple of contracts. When, not it, but WHEN, he loses his job, it will be a combination of things, not simply that.

31Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

504Heater wrote:I would almost go as far as to guarantee the Sens make a major push towards getting back to the Cup Finals - and hopefully winning it - but no one guarantees these things anymore. It's unfair to the rest of the teams - most of whom are very well put together.

In terms of what you've written, I think you're very close to what Murray and Melnyk have in mind. Patience...a couple of years, the maturation process of everyone: Foligno, Shannon, Bass, Winchester, Campoli, Lee, Picard, Wiercioch, Karlsson, Z.Smith, Zubov, Sandin, Petersson, Caporusso, Grant, Greening - and perhaps most importantly Spezza and Heatley.

How long do we wait for the maturation of Heatley and Spezza though? Wait a little too long and their value plummets imo. Is that a risk this franchise can take considering all we have lost over the past few years for nothing?

32Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
How long do we wait for the maturation of Heatley and Spezza though? Wait a little too long and their value plummets imo. Is that a risk this franchise can take considering all we have lost over the past few years for nothing?

Not too sure. I would imagine you'll start to see changes in Heatley and Spezza next year, then moreso the year after etc. Probably when they're both near 30 in 2 years, 3 max, they'll be ready to lead the team with Alfie still having a year or more left in the tank. Actually, I'm starting to think that Heatley's about ready to lead. Spezza...we won't know until a couple of seasons have gone by. Is it too late then? Maybe, but I'm not really worried about their values decreasing, there's value in them being moved for cap space alone. I'm more worried about: are they the right guys to lead this team to victory?

I know how a lot of people feel about them, specifically Spezza, but there really isn't a definitive answer IMO.

33Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM - Page 2 Empty Re: Bryan Murray's capabilities as a GM Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:15 pm

504Heater wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Not too sure. I would imagine you'll start to see changes in Heatley and Spezza next year, then moreso the year after etc. Probably when they're both near 30 in 2 years, 3 max, they'll be ready to lead the team with Alfie still having a year or more left in the tank. Actually, I'm starting to think that Heatley's about ready to lead. Spezza...we won't know until a couple of seasons have gone by. Is it too late then? Maybe, but I'm not really worried about their values decreasing, there's value in them being moved for cap space alone. I'm more worried about: are they the right guys to lead this team to victory?

I know how a lot of people feel about them, specifically Spezza, but there really isn't a definitive answer IMO.

I'm leaning towards no they aren't the right guys. I'd like to be wrong on this one though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum