GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

McCabe a Panther

+5
wprager
jamvan
rooneypoo
PKC
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:26 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
Florida is losing this deal hands down. McCabe is more useless than Redden on a good day.

Perhaps defensively, but offensively, there are few better PP QBs in the NHL.

17McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

whoa! Even though Florida's D looks almost impressive, am I the only one thinking JM's days in Florida are coming to an end?!?!

18McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
WHOA! I've been away for a few days and then I see that Fletcher had to sacrifice a pick?!?! What gives?!?! I agree Heater...If I'm Fletcher, I should be stockpiling them, not throwing them away... Weird...

Maybe because Florida's getting a NMC with McCabe, so there's like, no market for him now. That might be why they insisted on a draft pick. I'd be scared of a NMC as well. What if something happens and you really want to drop him for a pick?

Strange scenario...but funny. :D

19McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:whoa! Even though Florida's D looks almost impressive, am I the only one thinking JM's days in Florida are coming to an end?!?!

Am I the only one who thinks it's too late? Jokinen for Ballard and Boynton? Really?

I think that was the straw that broke the Panthers back for now. Yikes...

20McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:34 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:whoa! Even though Florida's D looks almost impressive, am I the only one thinking JM's days in Florida are coming to an end?!?!
I don't think his days are done, teh owner actually said his job is fine. This trade will help them get to the cap floor, that's about all it does. Hence the reason JBoq starts the season there as well.

21McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
I don't think his days are done, teh owner actually said his job is fine. This trade will help them get to the cap floor, that's about all it does. Hence the reason JBoq starts the season there as well.

"Cap floor"? Wha???

FLA has over $50 mil commited in salaries at the moment; you can shave off about $2 mil for guys on 2-ways who will be reassigned to the minors (and an AWOL Kilger), and that leaves you at about $48 mil. Enter McCabe and his $5.75 mil, and subtract Van Ryn and his $2.9 mil, and FLA should start the season with about $51-52 mil commited in salaries. There will be no "cap floor" issues whatsoever in FLA.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=FLA

22McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:55 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:

you're probably right Jammer, but really, I tend to question some of JM's moves and the rationale, if any, behind them...

23McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:56 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

"Cap floor"? Wha???

FLA has over $50 mil commited in salaries at the moment; you can shave off about $2 mil for guys on 2-ways who will be reassigned to the minors (and an AWOL Kilger), and that leaves you at about $48 mil. Enter McCabe and his $5.75 mil, and subtract Van Ryn and his $2.9 mil, and FLA should start the season with about $51-52 mil commited in salaries. There will be no "cap floor" issues whatsoever in FLA.

[url=http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=FLA
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=FLA[/quote[/url]]
My mistake, no need to get all synical

24McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I was just bewildered at the statement.

25McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I was just bewildered at the statement.
That's cool, it was an oversight on my part...no worries. Either way, they still suck. Razz

26McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:03 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I, for one, like this trade from both perspectives. Its a high-risk, high-reward trade for the Panthers in that McCabe could simply need a change of scenery to a team where there aren't people scrutinizing everything about you and your play. If he gets back to his good form that earned him that contract and puts up close to 60+ points from the backend, then its a win for the Panthers.
Similarly, for Toronto, this move allows them to open up a spot on D for another player, moves McCabe and his salary out and gives them a cheaper option to buyout than the remaining of his contract. Sending a mid-to-low round pick with McCabe makes sense since Fletcher talked about moving people out the whole year.

27McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
That's cool, it was an oversight on my part...no worries. Either way, they still suck. Razz

How the heck are they gonna score goals? Really, it's a legit question. I like their D, but unless they magically transform into Paul Coffey's, then how is the puck going into the opposition's net?

28McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I, for one, like this trade from both perspectives. Its a high-risk, high-reward trade for the Panthers in that McCabe could simply need a change of scenery to a team where there aren't people scrutinizing everything about you and your play. If he gets back to his good form that earned him that contract and puts up close to 60+ points from the backend, then its a win for the Panthers.
Similarly, for Toronto, this move allows them to open up a spot on D for another player, moves McCabe and his salary out and gives them a cheaper option to buyout than the remaining of his contract. Sending a mid-to-low round pick with McCabe makes sense since Fletcher talked about moving people out the whole year.

Count me in, I love the move. Now when they trade Bouwmeester for a roster player, a prospect (blue chip) and a 1st, they'll have McCabe to man the point.

29McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:21 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

They have a few guys to play the point on the PP. Too bad their offense isn't going to be good enough to draw any penalties.

30McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:They have a few guys to play the point on the PP. Too bad their offense isn't going to be good enough to draw any penalties.

Worst offense in the NHL?

31McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Its a damn good possibility. They don't even have a top line center for Christ sake.

32McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:31 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Its a damn good possibility. They don't even have a top line center for Christ sake.

Horton can play centre if needed, and he's going to be a really player for sure. Perhaps not a 1st line centre just yet, but he's a legitimate top-6 player, that's for sure.

But yea, their offence is woeful. Matthias is widely expected to make this team and I'd be surprised if he didn't land in the top-6 as well.

33McCabe a Panther - Page 2 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm banking on Horton to be their best player. I actually think on a good team this could would be a superstar. But I just don't see how they can have a good offense this year, their secondary scoring doesn't even exist.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum