GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Report Card: Your Turn

+4
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
asq2
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:07 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As the 2008-09 season winds down, the 'experts' are, no doubt, already preparing their season retrospectives on the Ottawa Senators...just as management is preparing its own set of report cards on the players.

Of course, our passionate and knowledgeable members here at GM Hockey have been working on their own Sens Report Cards all year long.

So, how have they done?

Much in the same fashion as one might find in a sports column, I've put together some capsule comments to get the discussion rolling.

Please note that I have left out players who had only brief tryouts (like Ilya Zubov) or have spent significant time on the IR (like Cody Bass).

It should be, and I hope it will be, a very energetic thread...as there are probably as many viewpoints as there are members.

To preface my entry, let me say that my Sens Report Card is NOT an objective view. It is my hockey fan's perspective, on how I see the players, with the vanity of imagining myself as a Coach and GM--based on my observations (having seen almost all their games this year) and expectations (of what I think are their capabilities).

And believe me, folks, I don't take my opinions too seriously...they are, after all, my opinions...so feel free to fire away!

The debate should be lots of fun.

That all being as it may...here goes.

Senators Report Card 2008-09

Forwards:

Alfredsson, Daniel

The unquestionable leader of the Senators. Whatever doesn’t show up on the score sheet, he always, as the cliché goes, leaves 100% on the ice. Played through injuries this year. Still does it all 5 on 5, PP and PK. Grade: A+

Comrie, Mike

Apart from exciting people with his Hollywood honey, hasn’t made a major impact with Ottawa since his arrival, with just 3 goals in 15 games. Still, that translates into just under a possible 20 for a full season. Not the player he was in Edmonton anymore, and not worth $4MM. As a second/third line center at $2MM on one year deal, maybe. Grade: B

Donovan, Shean

Everybody loves ‘Chum’ Donovan, and nobody tries harder and takes more whacks in the schnozzle than this affable and unselfish player. But at 34, does he still have a place on the roster? Grade: B-

Fisher, Mike

Marvellous Mike skates and hits, and he skates and he hits. And he has a gorgeous, famous girlfriend. And he’s a good egg who does a lot for the community. But as a big ticket player, he’s a big disappointment. Grade: C

Foligno, Nick

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. The Fighting Folignos are proud of Il Giovanissimo Niccolo, who is bumping and grinding his way to a breakout year under the guidance of Zen Master Cory-San. There might just be a power forward there, and Nicky has found the confidence and smarts to make it work. Grade: A+

Heatley, Dany

For Dany, it’s all about the numbers. Big contract. Another 40 goal season. Yawn. Unfortunately, the sniper hasn’t matured into a complete player who can lift his team when they struggle. And at his salary level, that doesn’t add up. Grade: C-

Kelly, Chris

CK has speed. He kills penalties. He works hard. Can you ask for more? Can you expect more? Nope. He is what he is. Grade: B

Neil, Chris

The ‘other’ Chris (or maybe CK is the ‘other’ Chris, and he’s The Chris) is maybe the Sens’ Most Popular Player after Alfred the Great. Not much on offense, but hey. Won’t hesitate to drop the mitts to give his team a wake-up call. But the lure of UFA-dom is tempting...and Mr Murray doesn’t have 2.5MM to dish out. Grade: B

Regin, Peter

No Hamlet this Dane, the slick young center has shown he can play with the big boys and will get his nose dirty to do it. So why doesn’t he get more ice in Ottawa? Grade: unknown

Ruutu, Jarkko

What can we say about ‘Sharkko’? He’s a live wire and a loose cannon. He works the PK and makes a proper nuisance of himself. He also takes some really stupid penalties. But when he does what Coach Clouston tells him, he’s a decent hockey player. Grade: B-

Shannon, Ryan

The little guy who plays big, Ryan is always tryin’ and never cryin’. The kid’s got a wicked shot, skates like the wind, and knows where the puck needs to be. A bargain at the price, too. Grade: A+

Spezza, Jason

Ah, the controversial and always quotable, Jason. They love him, they hate him, they cheer him, they boo him. Call him inconsistent, do they? When he’s on his game, there are few centers who can dazzle you the way he can. And his numbers are as well groomed as he is. Unfortunately, one never knows which Jason is going to show up. For the kind of money he makes, that spotlight shows every blemish. Grade: C

Winchester, Jesse

The kid wants to play. Does he have what it takes? After the media build up he got at the beginning of the season, it’s difficult to know what Jesse brings to the table. So far, though, no better than average. Grade: C

Defense:

Bell, Brendan

He’s been around the block and he knows he’s playing for his job every game. Sometimes he’s good, sometimes he’s the career AHL-er some think he is. But you can’t fault his effort, and his unselfishness. Grade: B-

Campoli, Christopher

‘PMD Lite’? The Italian Stallion adds some fizz to the blueline, but is he a quality pick-up or a good used car deal? C-Squared has shown some good stuff so far, but more time may be needed to know his true value. Grade: B+

Kuba, Filip

He has displaced both Wade Redden and Andrei Meszaros as the GPMDHO--Great Puck Moving Defenseman Hope in Ottawa. The Kubinator plays a little soft for some people’s taste, and he makes some horrendous game-ending giveaways, but he’s as close to a Top Four A-level D-man the Sens have. And at a decent price. Grade: A-

Lee, Brian

Poor Brian...he just can’t seem to get comfortable with the puck. Not a good thing for a young defenseman with long term NHL aspirations. So much hype, so much hope. What’s the story with this kid? Grade: C-

Phillips, Chris

Good ol’ Chris, he’s steady as a rock, takes his lumps and dishes ‘em out. Stays at home and sometimes, surprise, surprise, jumps up and buries the biscuit. Hard to knock CP, though he’s looked totally out of it some nights. But a guy you want on your team for sure. Grade: B

Picard, Alexandre R.

The forgotten man of the Sens’ D-corps. He was highly touted since his arrival from Tampa, but seems caught in the revolving door of Ottawa defensemen. On the IR for the foreseeable future, maybe he gets a real shot next year. Or not. Grade: Unknown.

Schubert, Christoph

Schubie-Doo, who are you? A forward or a defenseman? Fish or fowl? Christo might want to see how Mark Streit, Dustin Byfuglien and Mathieu Dandenault have handled being shuffled from defense to forward and back again. In other words, just get the job done. Grade: C

Smith, Jason

Gator has seen his best years. No question the man is a warrior, but it’s been a long career, and the latest injury might be a deciding factor. Not as effective as he once was, but no one can say he didn’t earn his keep. Grade: pass

Volchenkov, Anton

The Moscow Machine plays mean and clean. A quiet guy who just does everything a defenseman is supposed to do. One of the best shot blockers and hitters in the league. Grade: A

Goaltenders:

Elliott, Brian

Bri-El became The Man of Steel, The Caped Crusader, The Second Coming, etcetera, etcetera, when he bounced up from Bingo, putting up record numbers for a rookie ‘tender. How good is he? Tough to say until he’s carried the load for a full year. But wait a second—Ottawa just traded for a Number One. Grade: A

Auld, Alex

He big. He bald. He Alex Auld. When everyone decided Gerber was strictly baby food for NHL shooters, ardent Alex became the go-to guy. But hang on now—he’s never been a go-to guy. So does Auldie become the odd man out when Precious Pascal comes to town for the start of the next season? Or does he pack all his troubles in his hockey bag and smile as he moves on? Grade: B+

---

Over to you, esteemed GM Hockey Members!

:afro:

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:16 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

What exactly has Comrie done to merit a B over Spezza's C?

3Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Spezza's near the top of the team in my eyes. He can't seem to do anything right in the eyes of a lot of fans, which is a shame, because if he is ever moved, he will surely be missed after its too late.

4Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Forwards

Alfredsson- B+
Comrie- C+
Donovan- B
Fisher- C+
Nick Foligno- A-
Heatley- C-
Kelly- B-
Neil- B-
Ruutu- B
Shannon- A-
Spezza- B
Winchester- B-

Defense

Bell- B+
Campoli- B
Kuba- A
Lee- D+
Phillips- C+
Schubert- C-
Volchenkov- A-

Goalies

Auld- B
Elliott- B+

5Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:29 pm

asq2 wrote:What exactly has Comrie done to merit a B over Spezza's C?

I agree with that as well.

Comrie is an N/A, he wont be here next year IMO.

Spezza has def been better than Comrie in all aspects. Spezza's game seems to be coming around a bit right now.

6Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:32 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I've given you my take...now let's have your Sens Report Card...
cool)

This is great...thanks everyone!
cheers

7Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:

Spezza has def been better than Comrie in all aspects. Spezza's game seems to be coming around a bit right now.

Hell = :+:

LOL... nice to see you coming around Neely.

8Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:39 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:

I've given you my take...now let's have your Sens Report Card...
cool)

This is great...thanks everyone!
cheers

I'll work on it when I have a bit more time to think about it. Smile

9Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Dash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Hell = :+:

LOL... nice to see you coming around Neely.

Not coming around, I still think he is an idiot. But under Clouston he has played way more consistant both with and without the puck.

Long way to go for that lad.

Heatley has seemed to get worse.

10Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I disagree with Mike Foligno's grade Wink Seriously I know you meant Nick and I still disagree. I would say overall he gets a B because his first 40 + games were a D+ and the rest of the season was A+

- Unknown Author

11Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Forwards

Alfredsson- A The leader who was playing injured the entire year deserves not only credit - but probably a + on the end of that A

Comrie- B- He creates room that's for sure, and he still has the 'Comrie Penchant' for scoring timely goals

Donovan- B+ Exactly what's expected of a 4th liner

Fisher- C+ Has the chance to be something special...if he learns how to hit the net from time to time

Nick Foligno- A Would have been an A+ if he hadn't suffered so badly under Hartsburg

Heatley- B+ An off year for the entire top line still means close to 40 goals and 80 points. Let's see Heatley give more a Dung and it'll be back up to an A.

Kelly- C+ Great penalty killer...and not a whole lot else. Good to have on the team - more important if the club is winning

Neil- B- So inconsistent. At least he hits all the time, but his job is now to forecheck like a demon and I see his deviate from that from time to time.

Ruutu- B+ Would have been an A- if he didn't take ludicrously dumb penalties. Very, very worthwhile having on any team.

Spezza- B+ Like Heatley, these guys need to be more consistent in their work. Still sports one of the most lethal skill sets in the NHL. Give a Dung every night and it easily becomes an A+.

Winchester- B+ Like Donovan, this is a perfect 3rd-4th liner. He hits, he forechecks, he's smart with the puck and away from it.

Shannon - A+ One of the most pleasant surprises in a long, long time. You guys know why I like him so much.

Defense

Bell- B+ Close to an A. He's done everything that we asked and more - and with Clouston coming in, he'll hopefully be retained. Great offensive D-man.

Campoli- B Again...hard to judge Campoli thus far. At first it would have been an A, but now he's crashed down to earth and kinda looks like Brendan Bell out there - only not as good.

Kuba- A Great player. Positional, hard-working, smart, good passer. I take back what I said about him earlier in the year.

Lee- C So average in so many ways.

Phillips- B Went from horrendous - to very good under Clouston. Needs to maintain this level for him and the team to be successful.

Schubert- B+ Aside from a couple of brain farts (which can be blamed on never playing) I've thought Schubert has been very effective.

Volchenkov- A+ There isn't one shift that this guy doesn't give 100% - and sacrifice himself for the team and for Elliott or Auld.

Goalies

Auld- B+ Good teammate apparently, good competitor, GREAT back-up. Favourite of mine all year.

Elliott- B+ Solid opening year to what will be a good, fruitful career. Very nice play this far - needs to be a little more consistent, but look for that grade to go up to an A next year (hopefully).

12Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Was that too long? Laughing3

13Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Spezza's been the most consistent, if you want to get technical. He's a 30 some odd goal scorer, and has done that, again. Heatley's a 40+ and is likely not going to reach that. Also, most of our scoring in this huge late season push has come from Spezza. He's developing a lot better and becoming more effective under C.C. as Neely mentioned.

Alfie is still Alfie. Heatley needs to learn from Spezza and develop, even more so because he is older and is wearing an "A". Right now, Spezza's looking more deserving of an "A".

Foligno's still young and can only get better. He's a big, strong player that is exactly what we need playing with Spezza and Alfie/Heatley.

14Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I disagree with Mike Foligno's grade Wink Seriously I know you meant Nick and I still disagree. I would say overall he gets a B because his first 40 + games were a D+ and the rest of the season was A+

Fixed Smile

Still need YOUR report card Cap :pirat:

OK, I like how this is going...

And to answer the questions from ASQ and N4L...re: Comrie, Spezza.

Comrie gets a B because IMHO he is what he is. He's no better or worse than I expected.

Mr Spezza, on the other hand...sooo much talent...so WTF? Last year, +26, 6 GWGs, this year -10, 3 GWGs...shooting percentage off by 3 points...a model of inconsistency--in the intensity level and focus departments--all year long. You get the big contract, you deliver. That's it, that's all. Therefore, a C.

Looking forward to YOUR Sens Report Cards!

cheers

15Sens Report Card: Your Turn Empty Re: Sens Report Card: Your Turn Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Was that too long? Laughing3

Excellent, 504H--you lead by example :D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum