GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009)

+24
Ev
SDH89
CockRoche
Straight Shooter
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Sp00nz
Acrobat
Snuh
shabbs
Jordo
TeamRenzo
SensFan71
asq2
wprager
Flo The Action
Hockeyhero22000
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
Cap'n Clutch
The Silfer Server
Mojo
Riprock
Cronie
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

46Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

who says we lose auld? i think we could easely keep auld and mature elliot in bingo. plus i don't think comrie will sign for 3.5. murray will let him walk(again) at that rate. max is 3 mil.
dont discount coming trades this summer. i actually trust(here come sthe bashing) murray to do a good job(even if i'm not too fond of the kuba deal).

47Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i sincerely wish vermette the best, he was one of my favourite ottawa player. such speed and raw talent.

48Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:He's yet to play a freaking game man, settle down. We have way too many forwards, especially centers.

We got a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. Sure he's had his share of injuries, it can be overcome. Let him play before you make a judgement.

It's been 4 years coming for Vermette. Sure he was well liked, but he's had many years to make a solid impact and he didn't do it. At least he gets a good chance in Columbus to be that top guy.

Gerber was, not so long ago, a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. He'd had one great season in the NHL and had been excellent in international competition.

Leclaire is younger, but more injury prone and costs a little more. The only difference is that Gerber has had more time in the NHL to clearly establish himself as a backup. Oh, and Leclaire has been playing in a defense-first, second and third establishment. His career stats are .907/2.82, while Gerber's (even after three years of sucking for us) are .910/2.61.

I don't like this move at all.

49Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:who says we lose auld? i think we could easely keep auld and mature elliot in bingo. plus i don't think comrie will sign for 3.5. murray will let him walk(again) at that rate. max is 3 mil.
dont discount coming trades this summer. i actually trust(here come sthe bashing) murray to do a good job(even if i'm not too fond of the kuba deal).

Elliot doesn't need any more AHL.

And as for Comrie, I was thinking $2-2.5M. The $3-3.5M I mentioned is what's left of the $6M savings.

50Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:32 pm

I am so glad we have a glut of number 3 - 4 defensemen. Yah!

How needs a number one or two. Studs on defense are overrated.

51Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 pm

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:He's yet to play a freaking game man, settle down. We have way too many forwards, especially centers.

We got a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. Sure he's had his share of injuries, it can be overcome. Let him play before you make a judgement.

It's been 4 years coming for Vermette. Sure he was well liked, but he's had many years to make a solid impact and he didn't do it. At least he gets a good chance in Columbus to be that top guy.

Gerber was, not so long ago, a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. He'd had one great season in the NHL and had been excellent in international competition.

Leclaire is younger, but more injury prone and costs a little more. The only difference is that Gerber has had more time in the NHL to clearly establish himself as a backup. Oh, and Leclaire has been playing in a defense-first, second and third establishment. His career stats are .907/2.82, while Gerber's (even after three years of sucking for us) are .910/2.61.

I'd have to agree. The entire day has been a disaster. I'm really questioning Murray's ability to rebuild this team into a contender now. Yes, I said rebuild, because since we still lack a true #1 defenceman (no 3 #3 d-man don't add up to a #1), secondary scoring, and questions in goal, we are just spinning our wheels. We are worse offensively than we were yesterday, and it remains to be seen whether we'll be better defensively.

Not exactly confidence inspiring from a guy who's job is (or damn well should be) on the line. If Neil is resigned, I'll have officially thrown the towel in on Murray. Get a younger GM who is better suited to the game today.

52Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Leclaire will be a great netminder for us next year.

53Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Dash wrote:Leclaire will be a great netminder for us next year.

Slow down. Let's see if his knee holds up first. He had ONE good season under a defensive minded coach who had his team playing the trap. We as Sens fans should know that this tends to make a goaltender look better than they really are.

I'd just like to see him heal up and stay healthy before I start making predictions about his future play in Ottawa.

54Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

I'd have to agree. The entire day has been a disaster. I'm really questioning Murray's ability to rebuild this team into a contender now. Yes, I said rebuild, because since we still lack a true #1 defenceman (no 3 #3 d-man don't add up to a #1), secondary scoring, and questions in goal, we are just spinning our wheels. We are worse offensively than we were yesterday, and it remains to be seen whether we'll be better defensively.

Not exactly confidence inspiring from a guy who's job is (or damn well should be) on the line. If Neil is resigned, I'll have officially thrown the towel in on Murray. Get a younger GM who is better suited to the game today.

Of course, if he can now deal Fisher, Phillips, Zubov and our 2 second rounders for a signed Bouwmeester, I might forgive him.

55Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 pm

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

Of course, if he can now deal Fisher, Phillips, Zubov and our 2 second rounders for a signed Bouwmeester, I might forgive him.

Still leaves us with too many D-men. Will Florida deal him? What about Boynton? If they are missing Boynton, that may affect Bouwmeester's status. Ahh who the hell knows....

56Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 250px-Erik_Karlsson

:D Keep on truckin'

57Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

well, will wait this one out, as much as I wanted Kuba traded, what can we say? He really wanted to stay here, not sure the 3.7 is a hometown discount though, he has 2 damn goals.

58Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

Enough people!

For years the Ottawa fans have been screaming for a #1 goalie, there are only a handful of stud tenders (Bordeur, Luongo, Kipper etc) playing and it is obvious that we will not get one of them.

Leclaire was a high draft pick for a reason, he is a blue chip prospect and he represents the best chance we have to have a #1 goalie.

Is it guaranteed that he realizes his potential...no!

Backstrom signed for $6M per season, no way Ottawa could afford that. It is apparent that Elliot is not ready Who does that leave?

If Murray is "rebuilding" then were do you start? Goaltending.

This may turn out to be a bust but I would wage that Murray and his scouts have a better idea of players around the league then people who post here.

59Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

I really like the Leclaire trade- PLUS we got a 2nd round pick out of it! Not shabby at all.

The Kuba resigning is what's Diddle us.

60Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jordo wrote:The Kuba resigning is what's Diddle us.
You mean as far as cap hit for getting another top D-man?

61Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

TeamRenzo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

Enough people!

For years the Ottawa fans have been screaming for a #1 goalie, there are only a handful of stud tenders (Bordeur, Luongo, Kipper etc) playing and it is obvious that we will not get one of them.

Leclaire was a high draft pick for a reason, he is a blue chip prospect and he represents the best chance we have to have a #1 goalie.

Is it guaranteed that he realizes his potential...no!

Backstrom signed for $6M per season, no way Ottawa could afford that. It is apparent that Elliot is not ready Who does that leave?

If Murray is "rebuilding" then were do you start? Goaltending.

This may turn out to be a bust but I would wage that Murray and his scouts have a better idea of players around the league then people who post here.

4 pages in and I finally find a post I agree with. I like the Leclaire trade, and I like the Kuba signing. We have 7 months to go before training camp, which means, there's tons of time remaining to tweak, trade, and sign. The knee jerk reactions to todays events are a little over the top. It's one day. Relax. :D

EDIT: I agree with Dash as well. That is all.

62Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What can I say, once again the new season will start in Ottawa with a great big question mark in goal. Is he injury prone or were the last couple of years just a fluke? Were his numbers helped by the team's style of play or is he really a great goalie?

Carolina didn't resign Gerber after he had a great (regular) season for them. We did and were left holding a very stinky bag. For whatever reason Columbus decided to go in another direction as well.

Those are potential signs of trouble. If Leclaire came in at $2.5, or if he only had 1 year left on that contract, then I'd say it was a gamble worth taking. As it stands, though, I think it is a gamble worth avoiding.

I could be wrong, and I know I could have gone All In holding 2-3 if I only knew in advance that the flop would come down A-4-5. Sure, this could turn out to be a great trade, but it's not one I would be making with confidence.

As for Kuba, I'm OK with it. Like I said earlier, we thought he was looking for $4+, so at $3.7M we should be able to move him if necessary.

63Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 4 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Is it possible that Murray has already teed up his moves for the summer? He may have a deal in place for Heatley/Spezza, players who you don't move at the deadline.

The Kuba deal is higher than Murray had been rumoured to be willing to pay, but someone else might be happy with it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum