GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009)

+24
Ev
SDH89
CockRoche
Straight Shooter
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Sp00nz
Acrobat
Snuh
shabbs
Jordo
TeamRenzo
SensFan71
asq2
wprager
Flo The Action
Hockeyhero22000
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
Cap'n Clutch
The Silfer Server
Mojo
Riprock
Cronie
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

hemlock wrote:I'm thinking that with Kuba resigning, Murray may have a deal for Smith worked out. Something has to give, as we have way too many D-men now.

Way too many and yet nowhere close to having a #1 d-man.

32Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 am

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Dash wrote:The deal is $3.7 they said for 3 years.
thanks dash. I'm ok with the deal then. At least until the summer fa period, I'll hate this deal if we get outbid on a real #1 d man.

33Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

That's what TSN said, or the guys on TSN I mean.... but I haven't seen it posted.

They (TSN) just confirmed.... 3 years/$11.1M ($3.7 per)

34Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 am

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Do you think this could be a sign and trade?

35Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 am

No.

36Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 am

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:Wow, People wanted Kuba dealt for what? A 2nd rounder is what basically everyone thought he would get, we got it in the Leclaire deal.

Im not sold on Leclaire, but if he works out Murray solves the goaltending problems in Ottawa for years, Elliott has time to develope, and gets that 2nd rounder.

Say what you want about Kuba but it is tough to replace a guy who can play 20-25 mins a night, will be an even player by the end of the night in most cases and will put up some points.

I think Murray has done a good job today.

I think he has too kuba has been good for us this year i mean he does have 27 points mainly assists but thats pretty good for d and pascal could be great or could be horrible but we have to give elliot time to develop and with vermette usually playing half a year but always slow to start and we always say he has potential but he cant seem to reach it or least hasnt then this works

37Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 am

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Does this clear up space in order to resign Neil?

38Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Sens4thecup wrote:Does this clear up space in order to resign Neil?

God I hope not.

39Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm

hemlock wrote:
Sens4thecup wrote:Does this clear up space in order to resign Neil?

God I hope not.

Why would you not want Neil resigned?

40Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I hope murray has another significant move on the way

41Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Sens Chrip is reporting that the Kuba deal may be the sign and trade variety.

42Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i too am not happy with Kuba getting signed but i'm hoping he's not carrying a NTC with that contract. he might be able to get traded in the future. i think murray's fear is that if he loses Kuba, there's a possibility he won't be able to sign a top PMD in the summer. for one minute let's imagine we have a chance at Jay Bo this summer, if we picked him up, Kuba's contract is very deal frendly. that's my view on this.

as for leclaire, i'm happy. i don't see an NHL ready goalie in him, isee Auld being able to share goaltending duties with leclaire and if Leclaire is injured we're back to square one with elliot and old(with leclaire on IR and that off the cap) auld will probably finish his year next year and Elliot be the back up on Leclaire final contract year.
find me the trouble with that? if leclaire is good he's good and in.
leclaire was a good goalie in front of a Dung defencive team before Wang came in.

cheers

43Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a bit behind (3 hour meeting to start the day), but assuming I have not missed anything yet:

Kuba: +$0.7M added cap hit
Vermette for Leclaire: +$0.9M
Gerber gone (impact on next year's cap): -$3.7M
Neil (assuming gone by 3PM): -$1.1M
Schubert (if last night's audition worked): -$0.88M

Bell and Richardson add up to around another $1M in savings. Have to assume Auld will be moved for another $1M, leaving us with a little over $6M in savings from last year.

Out of that we have to re-sign Comrie or find another top-six replacement for Vermette. Neil and Schubert are replaced by Bass and someone at a negligible cap hit difference (we were carrying 2-3 healthy scratches already).

What does all of this mean?

1. Auld is gone, of course
2. Spezza and Fisher stay, since we don't have another top-2 centre
3. If we re-sign Comrie (as a 2nd line winger, not 3rd line center) then we have $3-3.5M from the "savings" left. Not nearly enough for a top-2 D.

Our situation in goal doesn't get worse or better; it just gets more coludy and uncertain.

Our situation on defence doesn't get any better, not without someone new coming in.

Overall, I am really, really unhappy with how things turned out. I would have preferred not to change Gerber ($3.7) for Leclaire ($3.8). And I would have preferred to keep the league's #5 best face off guy with 25+ goal upside.

That said, we were all thinking that Kuba would be looking for $4M+, as high as $4.5M. Having him signed for 3 years at $3.7M makes him a potentially valuable commodity. He could be traded even now, or in the summer, or if E. Karlsson knocks everyone's socks off in pre-season he could be moved then.

Leclaire only has 1 year left, so if he doesn't work out a buy out isn't horrible; and if he does work out then he's another valuable commodity next year.

In summary, I don't like the moves up to now, but Murray has left himself in a position that offers quite a bit of flexibility.

44Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Crap! Leclaire has another *2* years???! Strike what I said above. I hate this deal now, no questions.

45Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He's yet to play a freaking game man, settle down. We have way too many forwards, especially centers.

We got a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. Sure he's had his share of injuries, it can be overcome. Let him play before you make a judgement.

It's been 4 years coming for Vermette. Sure he was well liked, but he's had many years to make a solid impact and he didn't do it. At least he gets a good chance in Columbus to be that top guy.

46Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

who says we lose auld? i think we could easely keep auld and mature elliot in bingo. plus i don't think comrie will sign for 3.5. murray will let him walk(again) at that rate. max is 3 mil.
dont discount coming trades this summer. i actually trust(here come sthe bashing) murray to do a good job(even if i'm not too fond of the kuba deal).

47Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i sincerely wish vermette the best, he was one of my favourite ottawa player. such speed and raw talent.

48Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) - Page 3 Empty Re: Kuba signs!! (Bumped thread from 2009) Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:He's yet to play a freaking game man, settle down. We have way too many forwards, especially centers.

We got a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. Sure he's had his share of injuries, it can be overcome. Let him play before you make a judgement.

It's been 4 years coming for Vermette. Sure he was well liked, but he's had many years to make a solid impact and he didn't do it. At least he gets a good chance in Columbus to be that top guy.

Gerber was, not so long ago, a goalie with tremendous ability and potential. He'd had one great season in the NHL and had been excellent in international competition.

Leclaire is younger, but more injury prone and costs a little more. The only difference is that Gerber has had more time in the NHL to clearly establish himself as a backup. Oh, and Leclaire has been playing in a defense-first, second and third establishment. His career stats are .907/2.82, while Gerber's (even after three years of sucking for us) are .910/2.61.

I don't like this move at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum