GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jussi Jokinen waived (again)!

+2
caissie_1
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 pm

hemlock wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:He has had a couple of nice years 55 and 48 points. He is still relatively young, skilled and quick. I would take a flyer personally. And at the end of the day if he counted for 4 or 5 points because of shootout wins, that is huge (if you are a playoff team)

Do you want 4 or 5 extra points this year? I don't.

Besides, who does he replace? One of the big 3, or one of the other 10 interchangable grinders we've got?

So hear is what I think...

We need to make some moves. Jokinen is a serviceable body who can fill a roster spot once we move someone out. Makes it easier to trade Vermette when you have some speed in the lineup. My reasoning continues with the view that he could be a player here next year. He has skill and speed which don't get taught. When put in a position to succeed with the right coach he could fit in nicely. You can't rate him on what he has done in TBay, come on, no-one wants to play there. Their franchise is in shambles and they have no structure or system to their game. He was a nice player in Dallas and if you can get THAT GUY for nothing I say done and done. Softens the blow of trading Vermette/Fisher?Kelly/10 interchangeable grinders....

EDIT: and no I don't want the extra points this year I DO next year. I still hold out hope for a turnaround next year.

17Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:
hemlock wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:He has had a couple of nice years 55 and 48 points. He is still relatively young, skilled and quick. I would take a flyer personally. And at the end of the day if he counted for 4 or 5 points because of shootout wins, that is huge (if you are a playoff team)

Besides, who does he replace? One of the big 3, or one of the other 10 interchangable grinders we've got?

We need to make some moves. Jokinen is a serviceable body who can fill a roster spot once we move someone out. Makes it easier to trade Vermette when you have some speed in the lineup. My reasoning continues with the view that he could be a player here next year. He has skill and speed which don't get taught. When put in a position to succeed with the right coach he could fit in nicely. You can't rate him on what he has done in TBay, come on, no-one wants to play there. Their franchise is in shambles and they have no structure or system to their game. He was a nice player in Dallas and if you can get THAT GUY for nothing I say done and done. Softens the blow of trading Vermette/Fisher?Kelly/10 interchangeable grinders....

Reasonable argument. I'd have to agree. Prucha would be in the same boat. Both are RFA after season with arbitration rights. Prucha makes slightly less right now, but I don't know whether that translates to less on the next contract. Given the choice of the two, I'd take Prucha. Jokinen could be had for nothing though.

18Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Ill tell you right now, Melnyk wont be taking on anymore cash for players this year...

19Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Neely4Life wrote:Ill tell you right now, Melnyk wont be taking on anymore cash for players this year...

As I was indicating, I would get Jokinen to soften the blow of other impending changes. Perhaps you take on money for a month but by the deadline we would be trimming salary

20Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Ill tell you right now, Melnyk wont be taking on anymore cash for players this year...

As I was indicating, I would get Jokinen to soften the blow of other impending changes. Perhaps you take on money for a month but by the deadline we would be trimming salary

I think you would have a hard time getting Melnyk to shell out cash for a Pizza party let alone signing another paycheck haha.

21Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Reasonable argument. I'd have to agree. Prucha would be in the same boat. Both are RFA after season with arbitration rights. Prucha makes slightly less right now, but I don't know whether that translates to less on the next contract. Given the choice of the two, I'd take Prucha. Jokinen could be had for nothing though.

I've always liked Prucha but never really thought he was available. If he's out there, I'd consider him a top 6 guy compared to the other filler on our team.

22Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Canes acquire Jussi Jokinen for Brookbank, Melichar and a 4th round pick

23Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:56 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Canes acquire Jussi Jokinen for Brookbank, Melichar and a 4th round pick

Weird.

24Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I don't get this at all.

25Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Carolina probably wanted him, but they couldnt take back the salary. I get the players involved, but the draft pick is a little wierd... maybe some sort of side deal for the future.

Makes about as much sense as McGrattan for a 5th.

26Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:39 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

not that any of these guys are studs, but that sounds like a lot for Jussi

27Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm

beerandsens wrote:not that any of these guys are studs, but that sounds like a lot for Jussi

I think it is just salary going back.

28Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jussi Jokinen waived (again)! Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I get the salaries, but the draft pick is really odd.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum