GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smoke about to turn to fire? Sens/Columbus talking turkey

+10
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Acrobat
Cronie
Phoenix30
dennycrane
Riprock
asq2
PKC
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

asq2 wrote:Oh, I'm all for not getting Leclaire.

I'll happily just do Vermette + Kuba for Russell and a 1st.

3 firsts in this draft. :D Hopefully SJ's and Columbus' could be used to move up though.

I find myself increasing jealous of teams like LA, Chicago, and Columbus. It seems like a lifetime ago that we had a team like those ones full of young guys and unlimited optimism.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

3 firsts in this draft. :D Hopefully SJ's and Columbus' could be used to move up though.

I find myself increasing jealous of teams like LA, Chicago, and Columbus. It seems like a lifetime ago that we had a team like those ones full of young guys and unlimited optimism.

Those teams were also brutally bad for the better part of a decade.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PKC wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Those teams were also brutally bad for the better part of a decade.
This seems to be a trend in the NHL though... teams that have good young talent enjoy success and rise to the top of the NHL. While at the top, they are not able to get great draft pics. Eventually, they can't hold on to all of their assets due to the cap and rising salaries from their talent. Players leave for bigger pay days, the team has gaps that are hard to fill, struggles and then sinks to the bottom of the league where they are able to get good draft picks, acquire good young talent and begin another wave of improvement and rising to the top.

Lather, rinse and repeat...

The only team that seems to be immune to this is the Wings.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why would Columbus want Gerber? I would have to think that if we're sending them a goalie it'll be Auld. First of all we don't need either and second of all Gerber has little value. We waive Gerber and trade Auld, Vermette, Neil for Leclaire and a D man. I can't say I'm happy about that though.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The more I think about this trade the more I dislike it. Take Leclaire out of that deal. Lets look at history here. Emery plays strong to end the season and they bring in Gerber to take the number 1 job. Elliott steps in and they go out and get Leclaire?? Before they know what they have in Elliott? I say leave goaltending alone and assess in the off season. If Elliott isn't ready then get a goalie.

- Unknown Author

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Come on everyone all the Senator problems are now over as they won last night. Start planning the parade. Razz

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:According to Pierre Lebrun on the Fan 990 and then echoed on the Fan 640, the Sens and the BJs are closing in on a deal. No one seems to know the exact pieces, but Lebrun said it was centered around Pascal Leclaire.

My 2 cents is:

To Ottawa:
Fredrik Modin (LW, 1 more year at 3.2)
Pascal Leclaire (2 more years at 3.8
Kris Russell (1 more year at 750K)

To Columbus:
Antoine Vermette (1 more year at 2.75)
Martin Gerber (UFA)
Christoph Schubert (0.9, 1 more year)

Why Schubert? Because you have to pay a little extra to get teams to take on contracts like Leclaire.

My opinion? Elliot and Leclaire could be the coolest tandem in the league, but I dislike spending that much $$ on a tender who's always injured. The upside is: Elliot will get plenty of playing time. So where would Auld go? Who knows.

Anyway, there's definitely some legs to the Columbus/Ottawa rumours.

As I said yesterday, The Dreger also talked about this deal saying quote: "Gerber is in the mix". Adding that CLB was asking for a center and "grinding winger" in return.

Come to think of it, Schubert is a "grinding winger" and a dominant one at that. (Sens-Pens 2007)

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sens4thecup wrote:Come on everyone all the Senator problems are now over as they won last night. Start planning the parade. Razz

Don't you plan parades for Conference final births? Oh wait that's only if your the Leafs Wink Couldn't resist.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How come no one has posted a "Fish is back!!!" thread like we see every 20 or so games?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The scary thing with this team is, once they get the ball rolling, this team still has the personnel to be a dominant NHL club. You have Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson who are all threats to score 40+ goals, you have Fisher and Vermette, who when on top of their game are 20+ goal guys, you have guys like Kelly, McAmmond, Neil, and Ruutu who should be good for 10+ goals each.

The only REAL problem is a lack of a blueliner who can challenge 50+ points without breaking a sweat. That's the guy we need.

Then again, this season has been anything but a given, and I'm not saying those guys are going to reach those totals, but rather I am saying that in a good season, that's something we should expect out of those guys.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

so what are we hoping for? I really don't know at this point. I want a good draft pick and there's nothing worse than a 9th place finish but at the same time, the more the players pick it up, the higher their trade value is. I also don't want Elliot, in his first real go at it, getting ripped apart because of a Dung team in front of him...hmm.

I'm about 95% certain a Leclaire trade will not happen. I just don't think Murray is an idiot.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm OK with ending up in 9th or 10th as it would show that this team is finally turning a corner on a dismal stretch that started in or around December of 07. Sure we just miss the playoffs but, if this happens it means,we have a reason to watch the games, we will have a young goalie ready to step in full-time, a strong team ready and willing to work hard and compete and we'll still make trades that will likely bring in picks to bolster the 09 draft anyway.

- Unknown Author

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:According to Pierre Lebrun on the Fan 990 and then echoed on the Fan 640, the Sens and the BJs are closing in on a deal. No one seems to know the exact pieces, but Lebrun said it was centered around Pascal Leclaire.

My 2 cents is:

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:
Martin Gerber (UFA)

Why Schubert? Because you have to pay a little extra to get teams to take on contracts like Leclaire.

My opinion? Elliot and Leclaire could be the coolest tandem in the league, but I dislike spending that much $$ on a tender who's always injured. The upside is: Elliot will get plenty of playing time. So where would Auld go? Who knows.

As I said yesterday, The Dreger also talked about this deal saying quote: "Gerber is in the mix". Adding that CLB was asking for a center and "grinding winger" in return.

Come to think of it, Schubert is a "grinding winger" and a dominant one at that. (Sens-Pens 2007)

you gotta think though that maybe the goalies are going to be taken out of this equation IF Elliott does really well over the next month.

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:

see now that looks good but seeing as Ottawa's not getting burdened with Leclaire's contract, we will most likely have to take back something else...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Bryan Murray denied knowing anything about a Columbus deal, according to Dregger on TSN.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

BigRig77 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

My 2 cents is:

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:
Martin Gerber (UFA)

you gotta think though that maybe the goalies are going to be taken out of this equation IF Elliott does really well over the next month.

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:

see now that looks good but seeing as Ottawa's not getting burdened with Leclaire's contract, we will most likely have to take back something else...

What is the point of this trade?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:Bryan Murray denied knowing anything about a Columbus deal, according to Dregger on TSN.

Funny. I would have expected him to say: "It's a done deal, Dregs. No use listening to other offers and exploring other scenarios with different teams now"

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:
BigRig77 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

My 2 cents is:

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:
Martin Gerber (UFA)

To Ottawa:

To Columbus:

What is the point of this trade?

we get a good young PMD and Vermette gets gone. Why? you no like?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I just don't think a deal will happen. Sure, most GM's will deny any trade talks, but he could just say "there have been talks" as he has said before. If there were you'd think he might drop a hint to get other teams asking too, maybe create a bidding war.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum