GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today

+8
Acrobat
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
smash88
shabbs
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Cronenbergfan wrote:i was saying the same thing at work, that maybe Melnyk is dipping into Biovail's pharmaceuticals... you know, the 'good stuff.'

LOL

:lol!: Puking2

32Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:i was saying the same thing at work, that maybe Melnyk is dipping into Biovail's pharmaceuticals... you know, the 'good stuff.'

LOL

Thank you, thank you... I'm here all week.

33Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:40 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, if Melnyk was at the game last night, perhaps he'll be re-thinking his "Top 4" statement.

34Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:46 am

Cronenbergfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:

LOL

Thank you, thank you... I'm here all week.

Best closer I've ever heard was from a stand up comic who closed with "I've been great, you gotta go." Awesome.

35Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:49 am

shabbs wrote:Well, if Melnyk was at the game last night, perhaps he'll be re-thinking his "Top 4" statement.

How could he not? This season is rapidly turning into a no brainer. Either give Murray the green light to acquire Bouwmeester and Horton, or start planning for next season and beyond. It's almost an insult to those of us who go beyond casual fan, for him to throw out lip service like that.

36Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:00 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, if Melnyk was at the game last night, perhaps he'll be re-thinking his "Top 4" statement.

How could he not? This season is rapidly turning into a no brainer. Either give Murray the green light to acquire Bouwmeester and Horton, or start planning for next season and beyond. It's almost an insult to those of us who go beyond casual fan, for him to throw out lip service like that.
Well, I can certainly hear the radio shows today...

"So, Melnyk... did that look like a "TOP 4" performance last night?"

Sigh...

37Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think he forgot "pick" in his statemetn.

38Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

marakh wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

39Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

Nice!

40Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 am

mattshock wrote:
marakh wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

Nice!

If you consider that just to make the playoffs historically you need 93 points. With that said Ottawa would need to have a .65 winning percentage just to get into the bottom of the playoffs...it's something like .73 to make the top 4.

41Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:
mattshock wrote:
marakh wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

Nice!

If you consider that just to make the playoffs historically you need 93 points. With that said Ottawa would need to have a .65 winning percentage just to get into the bottom of the playoffs...it's something like .73 to make the top 4.

Wow, those are sobering numbers. Winning 2 out of every 3 games is no small order...

42Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Dawg's Wife wrote:
mattshock wrote:
marakh wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

Nice!

Wow, those are sobering numbers. Winning 2 out of every 3 games is no small order...

Follow my math to make sure I have it right...

29 games played with a total of 27 points. That leaves 53 games left and needing 66 points to get to 93. That's 33 wins so..33/53 is .622 (ok so I rounded up...still basically 2 of 3). If we want to get to 100 points which is where i figure you need to get to, to be top 4.

that's 73 points or 37 wins so 37/53 is .698. Assuming they go .500 on the road trip they are basically done for the playoffs. That's why I say if they don't trade before the freeze immediately after you see at least 2 of these guys gone and probably more...Kelly, Neil, McCammond, Fisher, Vermette and Schubert, with the last 2 being the most likely to go. If you could package both up for a 1st round pick and then ship spezza to Florida for HOrton and their 1st you clear a whack of cap room, and also end up with 4 1st round picks, 2 of which (florida and Ottawa will be top 5). I know it's a pipe dream but I'm sure Burke wasn't thinking he'd get pronger for penner...

43Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today - Page 3 Empty Re: Melnyk on Hockeycentral at Noon today Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dawg's Wife wrote:

Follow my math to make sure I have it right...

29 games played with a total of 27 points. That leaves 53 games left and needing 66 points to get to 93. That's 33 wins so..33/53 is .622 (ok so I rounded up...still basically 2 of 3). If we want to get to 100 points which is where i figure you need to get to, to be top 4.

that's 73 points or 37 wins so 37/53 is .698. Assuming they go .500 on the road trip they are basically done for the playoffs. That's why I say if they don't trade before the freeze immediately after you see at least 2 of these guys gone and probably more...Kelly, Neil, McCammond, Fisher, Vermette and Schubert, with the last 2 being the most likely to go. If you could package both up for a 1st round pick and then ship spezza to Florida for HOrton and their 1st you clear a whack of cap room, and also end up with 4 1st round picks, 2 of which (florida and Ottawa will be top 5). I know it's a pipe dream but I'm sure Burke wasn't thinking he'd get pronger for penner...

The math is right, but this season is a little different, to say the least. We could go on a 3-game winning streak and be right back in it. Lots of teams are underperforming, both at the top (Montreal, NYR) and the bottom (Buffalo?) so those points are there for the taking. Except it seems that the Leafs are the only ones who want those points.

Bottom line, we won't cath the top four or five teams, and most likely not the next two either. But after that a lot of teams are really sucking badly this year. It's very strange. Playing sub-500% at Christmas used to mean start planning your March trades (salary dumps?) early. Now you're still in the thick of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum