GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hartsburg calls out Spezza

+7
COLLAR UP
LethalLehner
mattshock
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Mojo
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:30 am

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

I'm not sure how I feel about benching a guy. Has it been shown to work in the past?

I'd think accountability should be more about giving opportunities to the guys that are earning it (1st unit PP time for example), rather than putting a top player in the press box, but then again, I'm no coach.

17Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm actually worried for tomorrow's tilt with the Habs. They'll be presumably pissed about their game on Saturday and may come out both barrels firing; so hopefully Auld is still rarin' to go and can find his momentum again.
Also, after a disgraceful outing, especially in the 3rd against the Canes on Friday, I hope ALL the players come out angry and ready to play.

18Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

COLLAR UP wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about instead of "calling out" players in the media, maybe Hartsburgh can start putting words into actions. He preaches accountability in interviews, but I've seen ZERO! Cut some ice time bench someone other than a 4th liner. Don't just yap!

I totally disagree with you...there is absolutely no need to bench this early in the season...especially one of your top players...

Fine, then cut ice time. Do something other than talk.

19Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mattshock wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about benching a guy. Has it been shown to work in the past?

I'd think accountability should be more about giving opportunities to the guys that are earning it (1st unit PP time for example), rather than putting a top player in the press box, but then again, I'm no coach.

I have to agree with Collar Up in that right now might NOT be the best time to bench anyone, especially a top line player, as it's FULL effect might not be felt or work for that matter.
However, now that Hartsburg's words are OUT there in print for EVERYONE to see, the onus is now on Spezza to show everyone that Hartsburg was WRONG...
Now, in about another 2 weeks or so, if Spezza is still not performing to Hartsburg's level or aspirations, then I say bench him and see what happens. Or, instead of benching them, have them practice harder than ever one day, whatever may work but the fact is, these are well-compensated adults, and their psyche's may NOT be easy to crack, so to speak, so whatever Craig and his staff do, he has to be SURE that it will actually work. Yelling for the sake of yelling stops working after about 6 months to a year (example, see Torts) but continuously challenging players to be stronger and hungrier without them knowing it is a skill most coaches would kill for.

EDIT: I'm actually reminded of that scene in Full Metal Jacket where D'Onofrio's character is busted for stashing a jelly donut in his foot locker, and then the Drill Sergeant decides to punish everyone BUT him. It's just a thought, but perhaps Craig and his staff could use team practices to work everyone HARD and give Spezza a night off and see how the team responds...

20Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 am

b33f

b33f
Prospect
Prospect

Spezza Schmezza...

How about some accountability for this?

Sens vs Carolina

Vermette- 0 Shots
Foligno- 0 Shots
Kelley - 0 shots
Neil - 0 Shots
McAmmond - 0 Shots
Donovan - 0 shots
Ruutu - 0 Shots

21Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm just looking for accountability period!! Stop talking and start showing us that the players WILL be held accountable.

- Unknown Author

22Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 am

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm just looking for accountability period!! Stop talking and start showing us that the players WILL be held accountable.

I think Foligno being demoted to the 4th for his poor defensive play is showing Harts is holding players accountable...no?

23Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So guys like Donovan, Ruutu, Schubert, Neil and McAmmond are "held accountable" but guys like Vermette, Fisher, Heatley and Spezza get a free pass?

- Unknown Author

24Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 am

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So guys like Donovan, Ruutu, Schubert, Neil and McAmmond are "held accountable" but guys like Vermette, Fisher, Heatley and Spezza get a free pass?

I am just a little worried that this will be like the boy who cried wolf. If the first line does not show up tomorrow night and Hartsburg doesn't cut back their minutes, then it is all talk. The players will soon realise that they can get away with it. Trading a player that doesn't show up (Vermette) might be a quick reminder that anything can happen. Might be the kind of kick in the Donkey the players need.

25Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 am

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

OK, so maybe not cut back their ice time right away but he needs to do something so the players know that he is serious.

26Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Totally agree Spezza rules. If he calls out Spezza and Spezza doesn't respond then Hartburg better put his money where his mouth is or this could go south fast.

- Unknown Author

27Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The Ottawa Sun mentioned today it that article that the Chicago Blackhawks had been talking trade with Ottawa for Spezza for quite some time now.

Honestly, without Toews coming the other way, I don't see any deal that works.

28Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Totally agree Spezza rules. If he calls out Spezza and Spezza doesn't respond then Hartburg better put his money where his mouth is or this could go south fast.

Whew. For a second there I was having SF56 flashbacks. "Spezza! Spezza! SPEZZA!!!!"

That said, I'm going to chime in and wonder why Spezza is becoming such a whipping boy. From what I've seen, him defensive game has improved. He's not doing as many drop pASSes, and he seems to be producing with just under a PPG (although not many recently). Give the guy a break.

Let's get back to our regularly scheduled whipping boy.

Gerber squirrel

29Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:05 am

b33f wrote:Spezza Schmezza...

How about some accountability for this?

Sens vs Carolina

Vermette- 0 Shots
Foligno- 0 Shots
Kelley - 0 shots
Neil - 0 Shots
McAmmond - 0 Shots
Donovan - 0 shots
Ruutu - 0 Shots

Very good point. Hartsburg will need to be consistent in dispensing his criticism. This team needs more than just Spezza and Heatley going to have success.

30Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why is he specifically calling out Spezza? How about Heatley? He's sucked IMO as well. Vermette's not their caliber, but he better get going as well.

The difference between us being 6-6-2 and 10-2-2 is that the top line is stone cold right now, but the 2nd line is finally alive. Before it was the top line covering the 2nd line's arse. If we can get both lines going, this team would be unstopable.

Hartsburg calling out Spezza directly should be looked at as a huge compliment, he really is the engine that runs the top line obviously.

31Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I'm really glad he bought such an expensive house. It'll be a little more difficult for him to pull a Joe Corvo now.

Is it fair to say Spezza and Gerber are the official whipping boys now? (deserved or not)

32Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

Could there are other things going on that we don't see or hear about. Maybe Spezza isn't trying that hard during practice. Anyone have any inside info?

33Hartsburg calls out Spezza - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartsburg calls out Spezza Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

None here. Chirp maybe?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum