GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa's next captain...?

+9
The Silfer Server
beedub
Laker
Cap'n Clutch
smash88
Number Twenty Nine
mattshock
PKC
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:01 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:We should all make our official votes now.

First Choice: Heatley

Dark Horse: Foligno

Person I think will still be on the team but will NOT be Captain: Lee

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Chris Kelly might have a shot at it too. He captained in Bingo I believe, and exemplifies the definition of hard work.

First Choice: Phillips

Dark Horse: Cody Bass

Person I think will still be on the team but will NOT be Captain: Alexandre Picard

32Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:03 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Captain: Mike Fisher

Assistant Captain: Chris Phillips
Assistant Captain: Dany Heatley

First in lines for a letters:

1.Jason Spezza

33Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:Captain: Mike Fisher

1.Jason Spezza

I would give preference to life-long Senators, so I'd take Spezza over Heatley, all other things being equal. However they are not.

Phillips is my first choice, hands down. What he said to the rookies during the summer blew me away (for those that missed it or do not remember, hs said something to the effect "Don't think you don't have a chance just because of all the veterans here; Do your best to compete anyway; we *want you* to try to take ou jobs away").

Second choice would be Fisher and Spezza. They are both behind Phillips because of age/experience. I am not 100% convinced about Fisher being a good leader, though. He's the epitome of the hard worker, and I'm sure everyone likes him, but does he have it in him to say the stuff that's not easy to say? The stuff that's not going to make you popular?

You're probably wondering why, given my comments on Fisher, did I put Spezza's name there. Well, quite frankly, for the potential. I've seen changes and improvements in the way he's handled himself in front of the camera. Something in there makes me think he will mature nicely into a leadership role.

34Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Captain: Mike Fisher

1.Jason Spezza
Fisher will never be captain of this team. Heatley will be the next captain guaranteed. I know that. Fisher may get an A, but that depends on Spezza's progress. Again, Fisher is not a leader.

35Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Fisher will never be captain of this team. Heatley will be the next captain guaranteed. I know that. Fisher may get an A, but that depends on Spezza's progress. Again, Fisher is not a leader.

That surprises me. I'm pretty sure it'll be Heatley as well, but you just have to figure that Fisher is the obvious choice to lead the troops. Spezza will turn out to be a huge figure on this team in 4 years, I'm sure he'll get an A.

36Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

jamvan wrote: Fisher will never be captain of this team. Heatley will be the next captain guaranteed. I know that. Fisher may get an A, but that depends on Spezza's progress. Again, Fisher is not a leader.

You have intel on that? Like I said in an earlier post, I have my doubts about Fisher as a leader, but it's just a gut feel.

37Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:07 pm

mattshock wrote:I'm on board with that school of thought.

Heatley played well with the C.
rofl? Heatley was AWFUL with the "C". That was his and Spezza's worst game of the season...it was a pathetic display, known forever as "the Detroit debacle".

And this thread makes no sense. Alfredsson JUST signed a 4 year extension. Including this season, he will be our Captain for a minimum of 3 more years (assuming he gives it up to the next Captain in the 4th year with the intention of retiring in the 5th)
Regardless, 3, 4, 5 years is a LONG time from now and a lot can happen between now and then.

38Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:rofl? Heatley was AWFUL with the "C". That was his and Spezza's worst game of the season...it was a pathetic display, known forever as "the Detroit debacle".

And this thread makes no sense. Alfredsson JUST signed a 4 year extension. Including this season, he will be our Captain for a minimum of 3 more years (assuming he gives it up to the next Captain in the 4th year with the intention of retiring in the 5th)
Regardless, 3, 4, 5 years is a LONG time from now and a lot can happen between now and then.

Worst game ever played by Heatley and a close second in that monkey show was Spezza. Horrible. I was scared.

39Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cash wrote:And this thread makes no sense. Alfredsson JUST signed a 4 year extension. Including this season, he will be our Captain for a minimum of 3 more years (assuming he gives it up to the next Captain in the 4th year with the intention of retiring in the 5th)
That was the point. To postulate what can happen. It's now obvious that he'll retire a Sen... and naturally, one wonders who will fill his shoes...

40Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

shabbs wrote:That was the point. To postulate what can happen.
You cannot postulate of long-term future developments in a world of unpredictability, such as professional sports.
Anything can happen...you might as well call the thread: If Alfie were traded today, who would be the next Captain? Because we don't know what will happen tomorrow, let alone 5 years from now.
shabbs wrote:It's now obvious that he'll retire a Sen... and naturally, one wonders who will fill his shoes...
Curiosity is fine, but you cannot assume either:
a)All things will remain the same and the best candidate today will be the best candidate in 5 years; or
b)you (or anyone answering the question) are actually capable of forecasting a specific portion of the ever-changing landscape of major league hockey.

Its simply an illogical question.

41Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:10 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cash wrote:You cannot postulate of long-term future developments in a world of unpredictability, such as professional sports.
Of course we can, we can do anything we want. It's called imagination...

Wink

Look at all those GM trades people bandy about... ha ha. Like they have any influence.

Lighten up man...

42Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Don't worry guys...according to some ancient theory (I believe the Mayans) the world is slated to end in 2012...so it's all good, we don't have to worry about Dung.

43Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

We better win the cup in 2011 then.

44Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:42 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:We better win the cup in 2011 then.

LOL. Nice.

The world's going to end, and your first priority is, "we better win the cup before it all goes to Dung!". The sign of a true hockey fan. Smile

45Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well according to Heater 2010/11 is when all the pieces should be coming together so...phew. Now the world can end in 2012 and all well be well. There's just one problem. If the world is going to end doesn't that mean the Leafs won the Cup? :lol!:

- Unknown Author

46Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

My world comes to an end when Alfie hangs up the skates.

PS, is it too soon to draft Hugo Alfredsson?

47Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is why Alfie is our Captain:

Question: Can you give any insight into Mike Fisher's struggles to put up points?

Alfie: [Paraphrased]Well He gave me some great passes last game and I just wasn't able to bury my chances. If I scored on those he'd have a couple assists by now. I just have to play better for him.

Long live Alfie.

- Unknown Author

48Ottawa's next captain...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa's next captain...? Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Alfie is the King :king:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum