GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 58 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I haven't decided how I feel about the pick. There are lots of pros but I heard he takes bad penalties and isn't a very smooth skater (gets beaten around the edges). I do think he will be good at clearing the front of the net, which is what I expect out of Kleven too, though there's clearly some offensive upside here.

My main concern is I see Yakemchuk's ceiling as a 2nd pairing d-man, not so much a top pairing one. But had they taken Buium or Dickinson they'd probably be a second pairing by default behind Sanderson anyway.

All this to say, he's a CHLer, we don't have to worry about NCAA rights, and I suspect he'll end up being a player you want on your team

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I haven't decided how I feel about the pick. There are lots of pros but I heard he takes bad penalties and isn't a very smooth skater (gets beaten around the edges). I do think he will be good at clearing the front of the net, which is what I expect out of Kleven too, though there's clearly some offensive upside here.

My main concern is I see Yakemchuk's ceiling as a 2nd pairing d-man, not so much a top pairing one. But had they taken Buium or Dickinson they'd probably be a second pairing by default behind Sanderson anyway.

All this to say, he's a CHLer, we don't have to worry about NCAA rights, and I suspect he'll end up being a player you want on your team

Plus he might challenge for a spot right away

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

To be honest I didn’t think any of the dmen remaining were amazing. I wanted Iginla or sennexke more

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I haven't decided how I feel about the pick. There are lots of pros but I heard he takes bad penalties and isn't a very smooth skater (gets beaten around the edges). I do think he will be good at clearing the front of the net, which is what I expect out of Kleven too, though there's clearly some offensive upside here.

Plus he might challenge for a spot right away

I dunno about that. I have a feeling we'll be signing a RHD vet or two. I don't think his skating is near NHL ready.

I agree - I would have liked Iginla too. I was good with Dickinson and Buium too. I'm coming around to this pick.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I will say he's got some seriously great hands for a defenseman. But has some clear defensive deficiencies

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don’t get how some are saying it’s a safe pick or all about size. He clearly has a ton of skill and the best shot on D

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I don’t get how some are saying it’s a safe pick or all about size. He clearly has a ton of skill and the best shot on D

I think Dickinson and Parekh have similar flaws but Yakemchuk > Dickisnon offensively and Yakemchuk > Parekh defensively. I see Buium as the one that got away but as a LHD and an NCAA player the Sens may not have been interested. The pick continues to grow on me

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:I don’t get how some are saying it’s a safe pick or all about size. He clearly has a ton of skill and the best shot on D

I think Dickinson and Parekh have similar flaws but Yakemchuk > Dickisnon offensively and Yakemchuk > Parekh defensively. I see Buium as the one that got away but as a LHD and an NCAA player the Sens may not have been interested. The pick continues to grow on me

I thought Buium would be the pick given he was favoured to go 3rd at draft time, but I guess lots of teams seem to have questions with his game

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sanderson-Yakemchuk
Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Sanderson-Yakemchuk
Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

I hope you're not implying this for next year

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Are we expecting one of Chych, Brann or Joseph to be traded today ?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Are we expecting one of Chych, Brann or Joseph to be traded today ?

100%

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

I hope you're not implying this for next year

No

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Gabriel eliasson with our second rounder.

I think we can see what the sens are doing here.
Big Dmen win cups. So we got the biggest meanest Dmen of the draft. I love it.

I really like the Yakemchuk pick. He’s got size, he’s got offense, I don’t know what there’s no to like. Parhek had more question about his game.

I feel confident so far with how we’re drafting .

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah I no literally nothing about these players before today, but they will promising with size, athleticism, speed and compete

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stamkos-Stutzle-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Giroux

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I will say he's got some seriously great hands for a defenseman. But has some clear defensive deficiencies

I have to ask: how do you know? 99% of the clips are amazing dangles and goals. So we are all taking someone else's word for it. Clearly the Sens felt differently and I suspect they had scouts actually watching more than highlight reels. Nearly 100% of drafted D men are not good at defending at the NHL level. But also the same nearly 100% don't have those hands. You can certainly teach defence.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Chabot-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

Well, so much for that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 58 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum: