GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I wonder if we can get something like Graeme Clarke and Simon Nemec for Batherson
Batherson and his team friendly salary is exactly what this team is not moving.

Besides, NJ is looking for D, not scoring.

NJ is looking for goaltending and have d depth on spades  albeit they have injuries right now.

At some point we need to move away from this core. It's not working. Batherson and his contract would be coveted by every team. If we moved him and made some other moves we'd have $15M + in cap space next year and likely  multiple 1sts. We can replace him easily via free agency or with some off season trades.

Kubalik, Hamonic, Tarasenko, Brannstrom, Kastelic won't be back next year, Greig Pinto Stutzle Sanderson Giroux Tkachuk aren't going to be traded, and Norris is untradeable.  It leaves Chabot, Zub, Chych and Batherson and out of these guys Bath is our most valuable player and the one we can replace the easiest
You’re advocating for a majo shake up.

I guess it’s just me but I don’t believe that it’s needed.

I think you replace either Chabot or chychrun, you have someone less in the top 9 to replace tarasenko(maybe trade for Blake Comeau).
Then you fill one or two guys in the bottom 6 with good vets either in FA or part of the trade for chychrun or chabot .

The chychrun/chabot trade gets you a good RHD and maybe there’s a package that’s part of that to get you good vets but essentially it’s a mixture of that.
And obviously you try and assess what you can do for a goalie.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to Norris with his injury but no use trading him when his value is so low and he is at minimum when healthy a 25goal player. That’s 6 to 7 guys on the team  that can probably be over 20 goals and a lot more goals on the team. If you can help it, you don’t change that. Scoring goals is at a premium.
The pressing issues is goal and RHD with adding good vets.

The numbers have shown that had we had better goaltending the rest of the team would have faired better.

Last edited by Flo The Action on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Tanev is off the board . Trade all but done to Dallas
Good. Put that move to rest.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Well, Norris is out. I suspect he'll be put on LTIR. Time to weaponize the cap space for picks and assets.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Well, Norris is out. I suspect he'll be put on LTIR. Time to weaponize the cap space for picks and assets.
That I could get behind

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

If you're ottawa do you make this trade?

To edmonton: Brannstrom, Batherson
To Ottawa: Broberg, Holloway, McLeod, 2024 1st

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If you're ottawa do you make this trade?

The value is good but Batherson just isn’t a guy I would want to move

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If you're ottawa do you make this trade?

The value is good but Batherson just isn’t a guy I would want to move

I get it but we can't go into next season with the same makeup we had this year.

Batherson needs to go, and so do one of Chabot or Chych.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Batherson's is easily a 25+ goal guy under $5M. You won't see too many like that in the coming years. You'd have to really knock my socks off to make a trade.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Norris is officially on LTIR. And I doubt they'd be foolish enough to bring him back this season even if he's somewhat ready. Time to make moves. Throw out any hopes of making the playoffs, waive Kubalik, bring up as many as the roster allows or even waive Kastelic/Kelly to bring up even more players for a 20-game evaluation. If the next coach you're high on is available, bring him in now -- even as just an advisor -- to participate in this evaluation. I would even consider waiving Korpisalo to bring up Sogaard for a few games (or just carry 3G for a while).

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think it goes deeper. This team needs to be blown up

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think it goes deeper. This team needs to be blown up

What are you talking about.

This team suffers from weak goaltending and could use a top 4 RHD. Needs vets to support it a bit more.

This team doesn’t need to be blown up.
Look at Vancouver the past two years and now.

We manage to get korpisalo replaced and probably trade chycrun that could easily be us 2 years down the road. Not saying we need to suck next year either.

Get a good coach in here and some changes and we’ll be much better.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn’t say blow up but I don’t think this core has what it takes. I think Norris or Batherson has to go for sure. We don’t really have a superstar talent at forward who will propel us to a championship imo. I do really like pinto and Greig as cheap young options though. I think Giroux has been great but he has never won a thing in the nhl either so I don’t think we need to keep him by all means necessary

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

We need at least three new dmen (2 on the right side), 2 new goalies, a new 4th line, and at least two top nine forwards, and that's if Norris isn't healthy. Aside from Klevin and Crookshank I don't think we can address any of these needs internally

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

There's been a lot of chatter re Tarasenko to Florida. I wonder if there's a way for us to retain salary and do something else to get Lundell. Maybe we take on a contract like Nick Cousins ?

Panthers needs to sign Reinhart this off season and Lundells productivity continues to drop

Maybe there's a bigger move with Chych involved too? They seem primed to go all in this year

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Perfetti a healthy scratch today

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I wouldn’t say blow up but I don’t think this core has what it takes. I think Norris or Batherson has to go for sure. We don’t really have a superstar talent at forward who will propel us to a championship imo. I do really like pinto and Greig as cheap young options though. I think Giroux has been great but he has never won a thing in the nhl either so I don’t think we need to keep him by all means necessary

I think Timmy is a superstar that will be our first line C that will propel us. You guys are forgetting how young he is. In fact, you’re forgetting how young this entire team really is.
You guys were probably too young to have lived through this but Alfredsson would have been driven out of town at one point because he was said to not bring it in the playoffs. It took him a while to get there.
Don’t mistaken youth for incapability.
Most of these guys are way too young to be the drivers of this team.
I fully agree with the recent comments that Staios has said recently. This team needs some vets to drive this team forward and to curb the lack of consistency in play. I think they fully understand that their goaltending is a problem and that they need to adress the right hand side of the D. Those moves are coming.
We finally have an ownership that has the appetite to make necessary changes to build a contender.

I’m old enough to remember a sens team that were accused of the same things and that endured and grew into a contender.

Before you blow anything up, you make those moves and bring in a legitimate coaching option to push these guys forward.
Anything else is short sighted.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I don't know how you can watch this team play and not agree that massive changes are required. They're just awful and our prospect pool is bare

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stutzle, Tkachuk, Greig, Pinto, Sanderson. That's your new core. Joseph and Giroux too. Otherwise everyone should be on the block.

I'm also in the camp of moving Chych. His play continues to get worse

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum