GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

You should see Zayne Parekh's highlight package. Could be in Ottawa's draft range.

I'm getting used to the idea of not having Chych. Late 1st and two prospects (one forward, one D) would be my asking price. The price would be the same for Chabot

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:My guess heading into next season is that Crookshank and Kleven will make the Sens roster out of camp, and halladay will be a very esrly callup. All will be on ELCs. How do we plug and play vets into this lineup? I'm not sure i see Greig as a top six and see Halladay on Stutzles wing at some point.

Tkachuk-Pinto-xxxx
Greig-Stutzle-Giroux
Joseph-Norris-Batherson
Crookshank-Halladay-Kelly

Chabot-Chych
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-JBD

I really do see a situation where we acquire Tanev and Chych or Chabot isn't around. I also see a situation where Norris isn't here

I don’t see a world where pinto is on the first line. Maybe, maybe maybe 2nd line if somehow they end up testing Norris on the wing. Or Norris is traded.

I also don’t think we go into the season with both Chychrun and chabot. Just my opinion.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I have Halliday making the team which I know a few people may not like. He was a standout at rookie camp and continues to be a point per game player on a 7-16-2 Ohio State team. He's outscored players like Pinto, Norris and Brady at the college level and he's already 6'3" 215 lbs. And of course he'll be on an entry level contract. He may very well be one of the better players in the NCAA if he had talent around him

Very few players make the jump straight out of NCAA right to the NHL. The number of games alone is hard.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I have Halliday making the team which I know a few people may not like. He was a standout at rookie camp and continues to be a point per game player on a 7-16-2 Ohio State team. He's outscored players like Pinto, Norris and Brady at the college level and he's already 6'3" 215 lbs. And of course he'll be on an entry level contract. He may very well be one of the better players in the NCAA if he had talent around him

Very few players make the jump straight out of NCAA right to the NHL. The number of games alone is hard.

Pinto and Sanderson both did it no problem. Watch his highlight reel. Guys is a man amongst boys in college

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

https://youtu.be/QpWe51BJ6KI?si=W-ghBd_lcIKIrIUG

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:I think they need to have R/L balance at least in the top 4, which means moving Chychrun for a rightie.  Chychrun's defensive game is not top 4 and I can't blame that on his partner because he's played with everyone. Even a slight downgrade which balances the pairings would be fine. Maybe JBD could move up next season?

Looks like we'll get to see JBD on the top pairing tonight. Then, again, if Chabot plays 30+ minutes there will be others on that top pairing.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

How many times have we hit rock bottom? I've lost count this season

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

How do we fix this mess?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:How do we fix this mess?

There's gonna be some waiving and likely some buy-outs. Forsberg is fine as a backup but (disregarding what happened last season) he probably should not be starting more than 2 games in a row. Korpisalo is just broken. He's probably going to be fantastic somewhere else but he's done here. I'm not sure he ever settled into the team (compare his interviews with Tarasenko).

Speaking of Tarasenko, he's likely being moved at the deadline. Too bad, I thought he fit in pretty well, but his money can go to signing a better option in goal.

Staios is not tied to any of the current roster so I can see him moving on from Hamonic, even if it means buying him out or burying him in the minors a la MDZ. And as much as we were all excited about Chychrun, we can't have 3 top-4 d-men all playing the same side. Chabot's contract is hard to move and, besides, his game has improved lately. A "hockey" trade with a team who needs a top-4 LHD? Does such a team exist?

Brannstrom has been playing well but he's still a small, not terribly mobile LHD and I think JBD can take over that role next year, which will eliminate the need for Hamonic on the right side.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Trade
Kleven-JBD
Guenette

In addition to overhauling the D to some degree, we really need to overhaul the 4th line, which has been a black hole. offensively, for far too long.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hamonic has a NMC so its a buyout or trade if he so agrees. I think they move a Batherson and acquire a legit top four RHD. Chychrun can be moved for a 1st and a good forward prospect, tarasenko for a 2nd and a good forward prospect.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if we can get something like Graeme Clarke and Simon Nemec for Batherson

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I like Batherson obv but his contract makes him out best trade chip and if he were off our team we'd be able to weather the storm.

With Norris future in doubt again, tarasenko as good as gone, kubalik being a dud, and Giroux a few years away from retirement I think we should be looking at making both a trade that impacts the core and addresses some team needs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I wonder if we can get something like Graeme Clarke and Simon Nemec for Batherson
Batherson and his team friendly salary is exactly what this team is not moving.

Besides, NJ is looking for D, not scoring.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I wonder if we can get something like Graeme Clarke and Simon Nemec for Batherson

NJ is looking for goaltending and have d depth on spades albeit they have injuries right now.

At some point we need to move away from this core. It's not working. Batherson and his contract would be coveted by every team. If we moved him and made some other moves we'd have $15M + in cap space next year and likely multiple 1sts. We can replace him easily via free agency or with some off season trades.

Kubalik, Hamonic, Tarasenko, Brannstrom, Kastelic won't be back next year, Greig Pinto Stutzle Sanderson Giroux Tkachuk aren't going to be traded, and Norris is untradeable. It leaves Chabot, Zub, Chych and Batherson and out of these guys Bath is our most valuable player and the one we can replace the easiest

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tanev is off the board . Trade all but done to Dallas

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

NJ is looking for goaltending and have d depth on spades  albeit they have injuries right now.

At some point we need to move away from this core. It's not working. Batherson and his contract would be coveted by every team. If we moved him and made some other moves we'd have $15M + in cap space next year and likely  multiple 1sts. We can replace him easily via free agency or with some off season trades.

Kubalik, Hamonic, Tarasenko, Brannstrom, Kastelic won't be back next year, Greig Pinto Stutzle Sanderson Giroux Tkachuk aren't going to be traded, and Norris is untradeable.  It leaves Chabot, Zub, Chych and Batherson and out of these guys Bath is our most valuable player and the one we can replace the easiest
You’re advocating for a majo shake up.

I guess it’s just me but I don’t believe that it’s needed.

I think you replace either Chabot or chychrun, you have someone less in the top 9 to replace tarasenko(maybe trade for Blake Comeau).
Then you fill one or two guys in the bottom 6 with good vets either in FA or part of the trade for chychrun or chabot .

The chychrun/chabot trade gets you a good RHD and maybe there’s a package that’s part of that to get you good vets but essentially it’s a mixture of that.
And obviously you try and assess what you can do for a goalie.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to Norris with his injury but no use trading him when his value is so low and he is at minimum when healthy a 25goal player. That’s 6 to 7 guys on the team  that can probably be over 20 goals and a lot more goals on the team. If you can help it, you don’t change that. Scoring goals is at a premium.
The pressing issues is goal and RHD with adding good vets.

The numbers have shown that had we had better goaltending the rest of the team would have faired better.

Last edited by Flo The Action on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Tanev is off the board . Trade all but done to Dallas
Good. Put that move to rest.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Well, Norris is out. I suspect he'll be put on LTIR. Time to weaponize the cap space for picks and assets.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum