GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 28 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If they trade Chabot it would likely be at the draft as he gets a 10 team no trade clause starting on July 1. I like Chabot and feel like he’s been unfairly hated sometimes and I think Sanderson is getting too much love too early. However he will likely be better than Chabot going forward.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:If they trade Chabot it would likely be at the draft as he gets a 10 team no trade clause starting on July 1. I like Chabot and feel like he’s been unfairly hated sometimes and I think Sanderson is getting too much love too early. However he will likely be better than Chabot going forward.

I'm with you on this one. I never thought Chabot would finish his contract here. The problem I have trading him or Chychrun is the fact that our defense needs to improve. I don't think we can improve by moving either of these two players. I think you need to add to this core - first by moving Brannstrom and Hamonic, then assessing what JBD truly is. There is also Kleven who needs to be considered in this equation, though I don't think he amounts to anything more than a bottom-pairing d-man.

At some point I think we need to look at moving Sanderson to the right side and cementing him with Chabot. Then you can manage Chych's minutes. He's probably never played this much hockey in his career given Chabot's injuries this year, and his own history of injuries.

From here, it's about securing two really good defensive defensemen who can play on the PK and clear the front of the net. I think Kleven can be one of those guys. The other one was supposed to be Hamonic but he's a huge liability out there. JBD is also just average at everything and isn't dynamic enough for a full-time NHL gig. I'd very much like us to pursue Sean Walker or Tanev. This would give us enough flexibility to have a really solid six defensemen. In our current structure, Brannstrom, JBD and Hamonic just aren't cutting it and Chych is playing too much. Sanderson is also a sophomore. Our D sucks.

Looking at the offense, none of our forwards play defense. Our centers can't lock down the defensive center of the ice and our wingers are often caught outside of the zone or playing zone with the back to the net. The wingers need to pressure the puck more and be more aggressive. We should have cap space next off-season and we need to bring in defensive forwards to show these guys the ropes. I wouldn't rush to trade any of the core, and I think this team is a lot better with Pinto on it, but Kubalik and Tarasenko were not the off-season additions we needed.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think Guennette should also be given a look. 6'3", 208 lbs RHD. Third in Belleville scoring and looks to have improved his +/- a lot.

Also can't forget we lost (and reacquired) Lassi for nothing. So he's probably out the door too this year

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I would bank too much on Kleven. I’m sure he’ll wind up being an NHLer but I think it’s far from given that he’s anything more than a bottom pairing guy.

I’d definitely put priorities at acquiring a solid Dman for the right side and some good PK forward vets.
I’m also not sure we should finish the year if possible with our current netminder duo.

I heard something out there that Trevelig had offered up a 6th round pick to 4 different teams for one of their netminders and they had all declined. Apparently Forsberg was one of them.

Why on earth we didn’t jump on that is beyond me.
If we could rid ourselves of that contract for next year, that be great.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Probably wasn’t true or the sens felt they couldn’t get rid of him right now. Maybe in the summer.

Kleven might not be more than a bottom pair on this team but he’s exactly what they are missing in terms of toughness and physicality in the backend, and for PK

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Probably wasn’t true or the sens felt they couldn’t get rid of him right now. Maybe in the summer.

Kleven might not be more than a bottom pair on this team but he’s exactly what they are missing in terms of toughness and physicality in the backend, and for PK

I didn't realize we were the worst PK on the team. It makes sense though. We don't have a single forward on our roster that I would trust to kill a penalty aside from Joseph and *maybe* Kastelic. Speaks to why we continue to bring in goalies who don't succeed here then go on to do well outside of Ottawa (Gus, Daccord, Talbot). FWIW, Talbot is 14-8-3 with a 925 save percentage, Daccord has a 922 save percentage, and Gus a 903 (931 last year). Korpisalo had a 921 and 913 last year in LA and Columbus, and has an 889 this year. Forsberg has an 883.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This is beyond embarrassing. They might have to get a coach just so they can save Alfie from absorbing too much of the stench of losing.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alfredsson shouldn’t be a coach her next year if we want to be taken seriously

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Alfredsson shouldn’t be a coach her next year if we want to be taken seriously

Appart from the level of respect he brings, why is Alfie even a coach.

He was never a a leader that was vocal. He went out there and lead by example.

I don’t see him as being a terrific communicator.
Not sure he’s a great motivator either.

He might be a good skills coach or good durring practice but on the bench in games and n the dressing room? Nah.
That’s not his forte As far as I’m concerned.

But what do I know. I’m not behind the scene.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Alfie and Jacques won't be behind the bench next year, that was pretty obvious as you have a 71 year old and Alfie doesn't want or need a 24-7 type of involvement with nothing but a dismissal at the end. Coaches are hired to be fired, But even just staying on until the end of the year if they can't figure it out and play some non-embarrassing hockey the rest of the way you might want do disassociate #11 from that mess.

They've changed the ownership, fired the GM, fired the coach, called out the players -- it would take a win against Edmonton (who are within sniffing distance of a playoff spot) to have any chance at avoiding the next step, which would have to involve a roster shake-up. With Chabot back and Joseph almost there they have to make lineup changes anyway.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What do you think of a Brannstrom for Fabbro trade? Would help both teams to achieve R/L balance on D. Fabbro is making $500K more so we need to move another player. With Joseph ready to return I would not hesitate to get rid of Kubalik and his team-leading -15.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:What do you think of a Brannstrom for Fabbro trade?  Would help both teams to achieve R/L balance on D.  Fabbro is making $500K more so we need to move another player.  With Joseph ready to return I would not hesitate to get rid of Kubalik and his team-leading -15.  

Don’t forget pinto who will be returning later this month.

I don’t know muxh about fabbro. Brannstrom shouldn’t be here next year though ImO.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I wonder who this vet is that Staios wants. Nick Foligno would be solid imo. Maybe Jason Zucker? Or maybe they pull a deal with Calgary for Tanev

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

How's the top five of the draft looking this year?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Foligno is injured otherwise he’d be a good add. Granlund on San Jose is a good add and cheap with two more years remaining. Silfverberg and Strome on Anaheim.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Alfie is there as a place holder. There will be a new coaching staff next season (or sooner) and he will resume his player development or similar role. Jacques will return to an advisory role.

Now let's not go on a stupid run that will gets us within spitting distance of a wildcard while scuttling a chance at a top 5 pick.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Foligno is injured otherwise he’d be a good add. Granlund on San Jose is a good add and cheap with two more years remaining. Silfverberg and Strome on Anaheim.

I want someone who play a 200 ft game and have had success in the playoffs. Or we trade a significant piece of the core for a package. Maybe something centered around Chabot to Philly for Walker (extended) and Konecny. And a sweetener (Boucher, Brann?) to get Laughton

We're not going to move the middle by bringing in one third or fourth liner. We need to do something significant

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:What do you think of a Brannstrom for Fabbro trade?  Would help both teams to achieve R/L balance on D.  Fabbro is making $500K more so we need to move another player.  With Joseph ready to return I would not hesitate to get rid of Kubalik and his team-leading -15.  

Don’t forget pinto who will be returning later this month.

I don’t know muxh about fabbro. Brannstrom shouldn’t be here next year though ImO.

When Pinto is back either Brannstrom or Kubalik has to be moved. Given that Martin had Brannstrom playing 4th line winger I'd say he's not fond of him. Fabbro has a bit more size. Both could benefit from a change of scenery. Both are RFA next season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 28 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum