GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 27 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well… hard to argue against this one. The Martin effect is bearing fruits.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Well… hard to argue against this one. The Martin effect is bearing fruits.

It’s also a case of they were never that terrible under DJ but something had to give. Their goal differential of -1 speaks to this. That just screams regression to the mean

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, Steve Staios POHO AND GM. Can’t say I’m all that surprised.
I don’t really like it. Means you can’t easily fire the GM who is the owners best friend.
You can remove yourself if you have the foresight to see you’re not doing the best job but when does that ever happen. Holmgreb?

Dave Poulin added to the group as senior VP of hockey OP which probably won’t have much to do with the on ice personal. Bowness as assistant GM (GM in waiting I suppose)

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Well, Steve Staios POHO AND GM. Can’t say I’m all that surprised.
I don’t really like it. Means you can’t easily fire the GM who is the owners best friend.
You can remove yourself if you have the foresight to see you’re not doing the best job but when does that ever happen. Holmgreb?

Dave Poulin added to the group as senior VP of hockey OP which probably won’t have much to do with the on ice personal.  Bowness as assistant GM (GM in waiting I suppose)

Happens quite a bit, Vegas did it with McPhee , Sakic did it in Colorado, etc. I’m not shocked by this at all, Staois would have the final say even if they hired somebody else.

I hope he makes a big move fast. I’d be looking to trade Stutzle as a surprise needle moving move

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Well, Steve Staios POHO AND GM. Can’t say I’m all that surprised.

Dave Poulin added to the group as senior VP of hockey OP which probably won’t have much to do with the on ice personal.  Bowness as assistant GM (GM in waiting I suppose)

Happens quite a bit, Vegas did it with McPhee , Sakic did it in Colorado, etc. I’m not shocked by this at all, Staois would have the final say even if they hired somebody else.

I hope he makes a big move fast. I’d be looking to trade Stutzle as a surprise needle moving move

That would be the dumbest move IMHO.
Stutzle has room to grow and improve defensively. you can teach defence but you cannot teach that kind of skill.
A trade like that would make the zib to the rags like a brilliant move by Dorion in comparison.

Stutzle is a superstar and will be a great player for a decade to come. He's just young and a little lost out there trying to do too much. Needs to recenter his game.

this year will be about building a sounder defensive team for next year.
short of a few expiring contracts, there won't be any seismic deals of that scale.
Staois Should be fired for just proposing that.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Stutzle has room to grow and improve defensively. you can teach defence but you cannot teach that kind of skill.
A trade like that would make the zib to the rags like a brilliant move by Dorion in comparison.

Stutzle is a superstar and will be a great player for a decade to come. He's just young and a little lost out there trying to do too much. Needs to recenter his game.

short of a few expiring contracts, there won't be any seismic deals of that scale.

I don’t have a problem with his defense, it’s his offense I have a problem with. I think he should play wing, he makes the dumbest decisions with the puck and gets so many gift points where he didn’t do much.

It would’nt be like a Zibanejad trade as his value is much higher and he is already a star player. To me he’ll never reach that superstar level but he’s obviously a star.

I know this isn’t likely to happen.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I don’t have a problem with his defense, it’s his offense I have a problem with. I think he should play wing, he makes the dumbest decisions with the puck and gets so many gift points where he didn’t do much.

It would’nt be like a Zibanejad trade as his value is much higher and he is already a star player. To me he’ll never reach that superstar level but he’s obviously a star.

I know this isn’t likely to happen.

The worst case scenario with Stutzle is that he winds up being a winger. And he’d probably one of the top 10 point producing winger in the league.
Short of packaging Stutzle for Connor Mcdavid, there isn’t a trade you’re gonna win with him going the other way.

He needs to learn to not try to do it all.
He’ll get there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

This team stinks.

I agree that maybe Stutzle needs to be moved to the wing. We can't have two top-six centers who don't play a 200 ft games. Either that or Norris needs to move to the wing which might be the better call? Pinto is our best defensive center and he's our 3C. He probably needs to have his minutes elevated when he's back.

Something to consider - does one of Tkachuk or Batherson need to go? Neither seem interested in playing defense in their own zone and I think you have to look at moving on from one of them if this team is going to improve. Tkachuk has more value and could net a better return. He's a fun player to watch but you're not going to win with a captain who doesn't kill penalties or is half way up the ice while the puck is in his own zone.

I think Jacques needs to look at balancing the lineup when Pinto and Joseph are back:

Stutzle-Norris-Giroux
Tkachuk-Pinto-Tarasenko
Joseph-Greig-Batherson
Kubalik-Kastelic-Kelly

At the deadline, you have to look at moving Tarasenko, Kubalik, Brannstrom and Hamonic. If there's an offer you can't refuse for Tkachuk or Batherson you do that too. Not both but one of the two. And if you can move JBD for another struggling defensive prospect that might be something to look into.

Prospect pool is pretty weak unfortunately. Maybe Jarventie will be ready for an extended look? Maybe Halliday will sign and play some minutes down the stretch? Dude has NHL size and can play center or LW.

Lots of cap space going into next year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He’s not the best kind of player for this team but I have a feeling we will trade for Arthur Kaliyev who played for Staios and won championships in Hamilton. He’s been falling out of favour in LA.

They could be a team who could use Tarasenko too

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:This team stinks.

I agree that maybe Stutzle needs to be moved to the wing. We can't have two top-six centers who don't play a 200 ft games. Either that or Norris needs to move to the wing which might be the better call? Pinto is our best defensive center and he's our 3C. He probably needs to have his minutes elevated when he's back.

Something to consider - does one of Tkachuk or Batherson need to go? Neither seem interested in playing defense in their own zone and I think you have to look at moving on from one of them if this team is going to improve. Tkachuk has more value and could net a better return. He's a fun player to watch but you're not going to win with a captain who doesn't kill penalties or is half way up the ice while the puck is in his own zone.

I think Jacques needs to look at balancing the lineup when Pinto and Joseph are back:

Stutzle-Norris-Giroux
Tkachuk-Pinto-Tarasenko
Joseph-Greig-Batherson
Kubalik-Kastelic-Kelly

At the deadline, you have to look at moving Tarasenko, Kubalik, Brannstrom and Hamonic. If there's an offer you can't refuse for Tkachuk or Batherson you do that too. Not both but one of the two. And if you can move JBD for another struggling defensive prospect that might be something to look into.

Prospect pool is pretty weak unfortunately. Maybe Jarventie will be ready for an extended look? Maybe Halliday will sign and play some minutes down the stretch? Dude has NHL size and can play center or LW.

Lots of cap space going into next year.

Do you honestly think we’re ever going to trade Tkachuk?
That be the dumbest move and it’s never gonna happen.
Again, defensive responsibilities can and will be taught.

DJ let the team play ina free for all and that’s the result today.
We’re gonna get coaches and vets on this team that will set the right example for these kids.
I don’t think we’ll be moving on from Stutzle or Tkachuk and along with Sanderson and to a lesser extent Pinto those are pretty much the only two untouchables that are on this team. They will be build and surrounded with these two.

I can believe the stuff I’m hearing.

The only vet of importance on this team is Giroux and that’s not enough.
They will bring a couple more over the off season.

I think if they can’t work a new contract with Chychrun this off season, they move on from him. Might not be the worst move either. He’s putting up points but often at the cost of team defence. Not a guy I’m real comfortable with to protect the backend.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Also, I don’t know that we can wait for Soogard, goaltending isn’t atrocious.
Forsberg shouldn’t even be playing more than 20 games a season at best. Korpisalo is a decent backup. That’s it. They need a solution for next year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You definitely don’t trade tkachuk. But if stutzle doesn’t get his act together he should definitely be on the block. Batherson is an easy trade too but he’s been good and getting better in recent months.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm obviously willing to give this time but these players (all young and impressionable) are still complaining about losing one of the longest tenured, least winningest coach in the NHL. Something needs to give. These guys need to mature and play a team game. They have their contracts - it's not about points anymore. It's about wins now. This is now a culture thing and something needs to happen. Coach and GM are gone. Next change will be a player and it will be a significant one. A message needs to be sent

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:You definitely don’t trade tkachuk. But if stutzle doesn’t get his act together he should definitely be on the block. Batherson is an easy trade too but he’s been good and getting better in recent months.

I’ve been seeing that with batherson.
I think this was maybe a case of feeling the fire under his Donkey.

He was an obvious piece to be traded. Might still be.
I really don’t know what his mind set must be like.
But if he’s smart, he knows to follow the plan. There’s no guarantee that if he gets traded, he’d be the same player.
Plenty of players get traded and never mesh with their new team.
He is improving here and I’m sure he’s already eying his next contract in a few years.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm obviously willing to give this time but these players (all young and impressionable) are still complaining about losing one of the longest tenured, least winningest coach in the NHL. Something needs to give. These guys need to mature and play a team game. They have their contracts - it's not about points anymore. It's about wins now. This is now a culture thing and something needs to happen. Coach and GM are gone. Next change will be a player and it will be a significant one. A message needs to be sent

You’re right, the next step is players.
I think the team will likely start with who you’d think you’d trade at the deadline. Kubalik and Tarasanko.

Then in the summer, they’ll be further evaluations.
I’ll tell you right now, I’ll be surprised if both Chabot and Chychrun are on the team come September.
I could see either of them be moved.
Both have pluses and minuses. Chabot isn’t the point producing type of offensive Dman he once was. He also doesn’t seem as dynamic as he once was, but he makes less of the types of mistakes that Chychrun makes. I also feel like I trust him more with having to take on more minutes.

That said, I worry that chabots best days are behind him where as Chychrun might still have more game to him even tho he’s only a year younger.
I’m glad I don’t have to make that choice.
I feel Chabot would be the one they trade if they can resign Chychrun.
And I’d say Chabot would be a good enough bet to regain his form if he would find himself on another team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If they trade Chabot it would likely be at the draft as he gets a 10 team no trade clause starting on July 1. I like Chabot and feel like he’s been unfairly hated sometimes and I think Sanderson is getting too much love too early. However he will likely be better than Chabot going forward.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:If they trade Chabot it would likely be at the draft as he gets a 10 team no trade clause starting on July 1. I like Chabot and feel like he’s been unfairly hated sometimes and I think Sanderson is getting too much love too early. However he will likely be better than Chabot going forward.

I'm with you on this one. I never thought Chabot would finish his contract here. The problem I have trading him or Chychrun is the fact that our defense needs to improve. I don't think we can improve by moving either of these two players. I think you need to add to this core - first by moving Brannstrom and Hamonic, then assessing what JBD truly is. There is also Kleven who needs to be considered in this equation, though I don't think he amounts to anything more than a bottom-pairing d-man.

At some point I think we need to look at moving Sanderson to the right side and cementing him with Chabot. Then you can manage Chych's minutes. He's probably never played this much hockey in his career given Chabot's injuries this year, and his own history of injuries.

From here, it's about securing two really good defensive defensemen who can play on the PK and clear the front of the net. I think Kleven can be one of those guys. The other one was supposed to be Hamonic but he's a huge liability out there. JBD is also just average at everything and isn't dynamic enough for a full-time NHL gig. I'd very much like us to pursue Sean Walker or Tanev. This would give us enough flexibility to have a really solid six defensemen. In our current structure, Brannstrom, JBD and Hamonic just aren't cutting it and Chych is playing too much. Sanderson is also a sophomore. Our D sucks.

Looking at the offense, none of our forwards play defense. Our centers can't lock down the defensive center of the ice and our wingers are often caught outside of the zone or playing zone with the back to the net. The wingers need to pressure the puck more and be more aggressive. We should have cap space next off-season and we need to bring in defensive forwards to show these guys the ropes. I wouldn't rush to trade any of the core, and I think this team is a lot better with Pinto on it, but Kubalik and Tarasenko were not the off-season additions we needed.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think Guennette should also be given a look. 6'3", 208 lbs RHD. Third in Belleville scoring and looks to have improved his +/- a lot.

Also can't forget we lost (and reacquired) Lassi for nothing. So he's probably out the door too this year

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 27 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum