GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lou knows.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:So weird to see some names slip and slip and slip. Sens pass on raty.

I think it’s weird because Raty is a sure bet to be an NHLer. I think his floor is 3rd line C. He could still be a top 6 C. I would definitely take him.

Raty went 52. Nobody really wanted him and most likely will bust based on history

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, tough to harp on the Sens picks when:

A) This draft and this draft year is very wonky.
B) They have a proven track record.
C) The guys they picked seem like good picks regardless of where they were picked.
D) Teams always make "off the board" selections.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, tough to harp on the Sens picks when:

A) This draft and this draft year is very wonky.
B) They have a proven track record.
C) The guys they picked seem like good picks regardless of where they were picked.
D) Teams always make "off the board" selections.

Well, I think we can voice our opinions on what we see.
I think the sens made some average and passed on some high upside kids that were likely boom or bust to take some guys that don’t look like the upside is great. I’m not gonna talk about Boucher as he does look like a decent pick just could have likely been made lower.
I guess there’s still round 6 and 7 left but at this point it’s a crap shoot.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What did we trade our 6th round pick for?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really hope the sens can prove me wrong (once again) as I find ver little positive in what they drafted this year. A bunch of overreach and a series of pics that could have been made by trading down.

This may be the year we see the result of assembling a limited drafting team with limited resources.
I’m not impressed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There was some talk that the Rangers were very high on Boucher, explaining why they didn't trade down. A middle-round pick is not worth the risk of missing *the* player you are really high on.

I can't really comment on the others except to say I'm ok with them not getting a goalie. Too much hype and too little history showing how you can make this kind of assessment on 17-18 year olds (assessment being they are franchise altering picks).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:There was some talk that the Rangers were very high on Boucher, explaining why they didn't trade down. A middle-round pick is not worth the risk of missing *the* player you are really high on.

I can't really comment on the others except to say I'm ok with them not getting a goalie. Too much hype and too little history showing how you can make this kind of assessment on 17-18 year olds (assessment being they are franchise altering picks).
Everyone’s an expert from their couch come draft time. It’s sad.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:There was some talk that the Rangers were very high on Boucher, explaining why they didn't trade down. A middle-round pick is not worth the risk of missing *the* player you are really high on.

I agree. We have enough goalies in the system to not draft one this or the next draft.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

It’s not just people at home. A bunch of hockey writers are giving Ottawa a bad grade for the how they made their selections or the selections themselves.
I still have to do some reading up to do on the last two we drafted but the overall theme seems to be size. We just drafted big guys. I’m not overly excited like I usually am.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

It’s not just people at home. A bunch of hockey writers are giving Ottawa a bad grade for the how they made their selections or the selections themselves.
I still have to do some reading up to do on the last two we drafted but the overall theme seems to be size. We just drafted big guys. I’m not overly excited like I usually am.

Wasn’t bashing you personally for the record

Draft grades literally don’t matter. the same “writers” and “analysts” (who are not experts)  said the same thing last fall, then just about every pick Ottawa made had fantastic development seasons. People bashed on Pinto and he looks great. People bashed on Sanderson and now he might be the best or second best prospect on defense in hockey. Hell even morons such as Wheeler bashed on Stutzle, who everyone had as a top 2-3 picks aside from some stat nerds, and we all know how he looks. People bashed the tkachuk pick incessantly too.

There’s no way they draft just for size - it’s a combination  of everything. To me size is very important though. We are building a Boston/LA cup winning type of team. We don’t want a Toronto maple leafs roster.

I have no idea who the players we drafted are outside of Boucher, who I was studying pre-draft as he checked all the boxes for Ottawa. The second rounder out of Vancouver looks legitimate in his film though. Some of the players didn’t even play at all last year - it’s literally the least scouted and toughest draft to get right of all time

I wouldn’t say they had a good draft or a bad one at this juncture. All these guys could bust and it will make no difference for our future though. Our future will hinge on the core we already have.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Draft grades literally don’t matter. the same “writers” and “analysts” (who are not experts)  said the same thing last fall, then just about every pick Ottawa made had fantastic development seasons. People bashed on Pinto and he looks great. People bashed on Sanderson and now he might be the best or second best prospect on defense in hockey. Hell even morons such as Wheeler bashed on Stutzle, who everyone had as a top 2-3 picks aside from some stat nerds, and we all know how he looks. People bashed the tkachuk pick incessantly too.

There’s no way they draft just for size - it’s a combination  of everything. To me size is very important though. We are building a Boston/LA cup winning type of team. We don’t want a Toronto maple leafs roster.

I have no idea who the players we drafted are outside of Boucher, who I was studying pre-draft as he checked all the boxes for Ottawa. The second rounder out of Vancouver looks legitimate in his film though. Some of the players didn’t even play at all last year - it’s literally the least scouted and toughest draft to get right of all time

I wouldn’t say they had a good draft or a bad one at this juncture. All these guys could bust and it will make no difference for our future though. Our future will hinge on the core we already have.

Yeah, I get the writers and "analysts" Dung on teams' drafts....they need to do that, and their entire basis of rating drafts is if a team drafts the next player that is ranked highly on some list or not. You'd think Ottawa would have garnered a bit more of the benefit of the doubt from at least its own fan base given how the last few drafts have gone, but apparently people are still brain washed.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah, I get the writers and "analysts" Dung on teams' drafts....they need to do that, and their entire basis of rating drafts is if a team drafts the next player that is ranked highly on some list or not.  You'd think Ottawa would have garnered a bit more of the benefit of the doubt from at least its own fan base given how the last few drafts have gone, but apparently people are still brain washed.

I don’t think (or maybe I’m wrong, I’m not on Twitter much) that fans bash the players they pick. It’s more a question of asset management or if there are other types of players they should be going for. The boucher pick is an interesting pick. Could very well turn out to be a great power forward down the line. It’s just that if that was their guy, they could have dropped back a few and still get him.
We also passed on some more interesting, higher ceiling picks IMO with our seconds to draft guys that could have been had later on.

Where we are situated in terms of talent in the system, I’d personally want them to take swings at guys who are more skillful and could pan out to be top 6 guys. Even if there is a bust factor. We can risk that at this moment. Not that our picks were safe but they were guys that projected to be top 9 or bottom pairing with less output.

It was said that they drafted for guys that fill the grit needs we could have. But those guys just generally form anyways and they are usually easy enough to trade for for a minimal cost.

I guess I have a different philosophy than pierre Dorion when it comes to what I’d get the team to draft.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said, Boucher, specifically was rumoured to be targeted by the Rangers, explaining why they didn't trade down.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Like I said, Boucher, specifically was rumoured to be targeted by the Rangers, explaining why they didn't trade down.

They’re not idiots - teams know who other teams want

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah, I get the writers and "analysts" Dung on teams' drafts....they need to do that, and their entire basis of rating drafts is if a team drafts the next player that is ranked highly on some list or not.  You'd think Ottawa would have garnered a bit more of the benefit of the doubt from at least its own fan base given how the last few drafts have gone, but apparently people are still brain washed.

I don’t think (or maybe I’m wrong, I’m not on Twitter much) that fans bash the players they pick. It’s more a question of asset management or if there are other types of players they should be going for. The boucher pick is an interesting pick. Could very well turn out to be a great power forward down the line. It’s just that if that was their guy, they could have dropped back a few and still get him.
We also passed on some more interesting, higher ceiling picks IMO with our seconds to draft guys that could have been had later on.

Where we are situated in terms of talent in the system, I’d personally want them to take swings at guys who are more skillful and could pan out to be top 6 guys. Even if there is a bust factor. We can risk that at this moment. Not that our picks were safe but they were guys that projected to be top 9 or bottom pairing with less output.

It was said that they drafted for guys that fill the grit needs we could have. But those guys just generally form anyways and they are usually easy enough to trade for for a minimal cost.

I guess I have a different philosophy than pierre Dorion when it comes to what I’d get the team to draft.

The sens of old desperately needed players like tkachuk and Boucher to win. We will never field a high priced high skill team like Toronto. We need to win as a team and win in the trenches. This is my favourite style of hockey so I hope they lock DJ up for years.

Also you say they could drop back but listen to what Mann said. It was a big risk for them.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Take this with a grain of salt. Posted from Hockeybuzz's new Sens beat-writer Kevin Francis. I didn't put a lot of effort into it but I couldn't find any of this guy's credentials online:

---

- Adam Henrique is certainly at the top of their list and you can now add in Tomas Hertl of the SJ Sharks as a player the Senators are seriously looking to acquire via trade. Hertl is in the final year of his contract making 5.625 million dollars with a no trade clause. He is a perennial 20-25 goal scorer and would fit in nicely in the Sens top 6 forwards.

- Switching the focus to defense, Ottawa is seriously looking at Justin Schultz in Washington plus I am told the Caps are willing to deal Brenen Dillon if the right offer came along. With eight players under contract on the blueline, the Caps are desperate to move at least one contract.

- Meanwhile, the Florida Panthers are trying to move Anton Stralman who has one year left on his current deal at 5.5 million but has a no trade clause. Ottawa is definitely kicking the tires on Stralman, but they would much rather acquire MacKenzie Weegar to add to their defense corps. Weegar is a local product having grown up in Barrhaven located in the west end of Ottawa. Weegar has two years left at 3.25 million per season. He certainly fits the bill of what head coach DJ Smith looks for on his blueline. It would take alot to pry him out of Florida as Panthers GM Bill Zito really wants to unload Stralman. Ottawa wouldn’t have to give up as much for Stralman.

- The other defensemen the Senators are kicking the tires on is Troy Stetcher in Detroit. Stetcher is a right shot defenseman with one year left on his current deal at just 1.7 million. As I have mentioned previously, Ottawa has 11 draft picks in the 2022 NHL Draft. At some point, Ottawa needs to use their surplus of draft picks to put their roster over the top and seriously contend for a playoff spot this coming season.

- I don’t see Ryan Strome or Christian Dvorak a fit in Ottawa. Dvorak in particular makes no sense. Ottawa already Colin White with 4 years left on his deal, the Sens don’t need another center with 4 years left and even more dollars at 5 million cash per year, even though it’s a 4 million cap hit. Ottawa isn’t in the market for a contract that pays out more than the actual cap hit.

- Another player Ottawa is looking to possibly add is Jaden Schwartz from the St. Louis Blues. Brady Tkachuk has spoke highly of him and with Brady living in St. Louis in the off-season plus his dad being a scout with the Blues, there is a direct connection here that has legs to it. I know Ottawa would rather strengthen RW over the LW position, but Schwartz sure would look good in a Sens uniform on a short term deal.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Take this with a grain of salt. Posted from Hockeybuzz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum