GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Lagoon
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 28 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Dorion is an idiot.

He hired a coach who plays the kids just like Boucher did, and hired three defensive coaches on our coaching staff hence our horrendous powerplay.

He traded for Zaitsev the same way we traded for Phaneuf. Short-term contracts in exchange for a long-term average defender. At least we got Brown but he was poised to be traded anyway because of cap constraints. Probably could have gotten him for a 3rd rounder.

Batherson should be up here taking reps on a daily basis and playing 15+ mins a night. We already know that him and Brown can dominate in the AHL. It's not a timing thing. I hate that I am watching Tyler Ennis play on our top line.

The whole thing is ludicrous.

DJ will play the rookies when it's time. He's giving prime minutes to Tkachuk, White and Chabot who are the most important pieces right now. Read some of his quote about young players. It makes no sense to have Logan Brown playing low NHL minutes right now.

I've actually been really impressed by Zaitsev and think he's worth his contract.

I don't think you can ask any more from the coaching staff right now. The team looks well coached to me so far. Talent will only get them so far though.

Nevermind Brown, I think we all get that one.  He's close, but he's not there yet.  

But Batherson was mismanaged IMO.  He needed to play and play huge minutes and be pushed and coached.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Zaitsev, but remember how long a contract he has.

I honestly do not mind getting Batherson going in the AHL. What’s there to win here? I’d rather have a mix of vets and young players go through tough times but learning the ropes as it goes. There’s a good chance it won’t be long till Batherson is up. But the bodies are there in Ottawa. Might as well try to move them for assets. We’re also stuck with some guys like Boedker but he won’t be playing up for a top 6.

This is the kind of conversation we should be having by game 40 if it hasn’t changed. We haven’t reached game 10. Let’s take it down a notch.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Ya exactly. Right now this blows. And I am not sure it won't blow next season and the season after that. This team is making progress towards being good, but if the intent is to build through the draft and not be active via free agency we're in trouble.

The Sens need to have a really good off-season and a really active trade deadline.

Zero quality free agents will sign and play with Melnyk and the Ottawa organization. The only player Ottawa can attract via free agency is the Tyler Ennis’ of the league that are trying desperately to salvage another year in their NHL career, the Szwarz’ and Sabourin’s of the world trying to break into the NHL, or the Hainsey’s of the league trying to fight off retirement because they mismanaged their career earnings.

Ottawa has no choice but to build through the draft and sadly, trading. I say sad because they’ve already traded all their elite talent that should’ve brought healthy and franchise altering returns, and instead, they got jack-Dung from trading 6 of the league leaders in every statistical category.

Sorry, but that’s the truth and it can’t really be argued with any validity.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Dorion is an idiot.

He hired a coach who plays the kids just like Boucher did, and hired three defensive coaches on our coaching staff hence our horrendous powerplay.

He traded for Zaitsev the same way we traded for Phaneuf. Short-term contracts in exchange for a long-term average defender. At least we got Brown but he was poised to be traded anyway because of cap constraints. Probably could have gotten him for a 3rd rounder.

Batherson should be up here taking reps on a daily basis and playing 15+ mins a night. We already know that him and Brown can dominate in the AHL. It's not a timing thing. I hate that I am watching Tyler Ennis play on our top line.

The whole thing is ludicrous.

DJ will play the rookies when it's time. He's giving prime minutes to Tkachuk, White and Chabot who are the most important pieces right now. Read some of his quote about young players. It makes no sense to have Logan Brown playing low NHL minutes right now.

I've actually been really impressed by Zaitsev and think he's worth his contract.

I don't think you can ask any more from the coaching staff right now. The team looks well coached to me so far. Talent will only get them so far though.

Nevermind Brown, I think we all get that one.  He's close, but he's not there yet.  

But Batherson was mismanaged IMO.  He needed to play and play huge minutes and be pushed and coached.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Zaitsev, but remember how long a contract he has.

I honestly do not mind getting Batherson going in the AHL. What’s there to win here? I’d rather have a mix of vets and young players go through tough times but learning the ropes as it goes. There’s a good chance it won’t be long till Batherson is up. But the bodies are there in Ottawa. Might as well try to move them for assets. We’re also stuck with some guys like Boedker but he won’t be playing up for a top 6.

This is the kind of conversation we should be having by game 40 if it hasn’t changed. We haven’t reached game 10. Let’s take it down a notch.

I guess, but it's annoying as Dung that in a nothing year we didn't even look at our 2nd best prospect for more than 2 games and 10 minutes combined.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Ya exactly. Right now this blows. And I am not sure it won't blow next season and the season after that. This team is making progress towards being good, but if the intent is to build through the draft and not be active via free agency we're in trouble.

The Sens need to have a really good off-season and a really active trade deadline.

Zero quality free agents will sign and play with Melnyk and the Ottawa organization. The only player Ottawa can attract via free agency is the Tyler Ennis’ of the league that are trying desperately to salvage another year in their NHL career, the Szwarz’ and Sabourin’s of the world trying to break into the NHL, or the Hainsey’s of the league trying to fight off retirement because they mismanaged their career earnings.

Ottawa has no choice but to build through the draft and sadly, trading. I say sad because they’ve already traded all their elite talent that should’ve brought healthy and franchise altering returns, and instead, they got jack-Dung from trading 6 of the league leaders in every statistical category.

Brannstrom's gonna be a star in this league.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

that's about the only good return we got though. And the jury is still out on if he's a top 2 Dman.

in all honesty, SJS 1st was supposed to be a late pick. Duchene got us some maybes, Stone got us very little for what was essentially a sign and trade.

Lagoon is right. this is not the type of return you expect from the assets traded.
we did lose those trade no matter what. Karlsson might decline but that's not what his worth was at the moment of the trade. and in this isn't really a trade you should judge on what we gave up in hindsight.

now we may be able to draft really well for the next two drafts and everything may turn out just fine in the end but we are gonna have to overcome some obstacles with ownership that we shouldn't have to.

And whether we were handcuffed or not by ownership in how we traded it was botched up. they could have seen this whole situation coming like many of us saw and not wait till the last second to trade said players.
it was bad timing on the part of Dorion without maximum return.

in a normal organization, he would have gotten fired/demoted.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Never, ever let your asset get to the final year before free agency.   Ever.

Look at the guys we let get to that stage recently:

Matt Duchene
Erik Karlsson
Mark Stone
Ryan Dzingel
Cody Ceci (lol)

It's so crappy. I hope we've learned to get the deal done the summer before or start looking at options. Look at that list. Diddle...with Batherson and Brown and Tkachuk, Chabot and White still there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

that's about the only good return we got though. And the jury is still out on if he's a top 2 Dman.

in all honesty, SJS 1st was supposed to be a late pick. Duchene got us some maybes, Stone got us very little for what was essentially a sign and trade.

Lagoon is right. this is not the type of return you expect from the assets traded.
we did lose those trade no matter what. Karlsson might decline but that's not what his worth was at the moment of the trade. and in this isn't really a trade you should judge on what we gave up in hindsight.

now we may be able to draft really well for the next two drafts and everything may turn out just fine in the end but we are gonna have to overcome some obstacles with ownership that we shouldn't have to.

And whether we were handcuffed or not by ownership in how we traded it was botched up. they could have seen this whole situation coming like many of us saw and not wait till the last second to trade said players.

Yeah but look at the Duchene to Ottawa trade. Ottawa 1st (wasn't supposed to be a top-five), Bowers (has done absolutely nothing in the AHL and was a 28th pick), Turris (playing 4C in Nashville on a big contract), Hammond, and a 3rd rd pick. We got a 1st (Thomson), and two prospects.

Karlsson has been atrocious and injured since joining SJ. He signed a long-term deal on a team that is ageing and getting worse. We got Norris and their first, plus a few other pieces. It wasn`t an awful but there are pieces.

I think the Stone one hurts the most but Brannstrom will be good and is the best piece back out of all of these traded. Give him 40 games before you judge him. He`s looked better every game he`s played.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Yeah but look at the Duchene to Ottawa trade. Ottawa 1st (wasn't supposed to be a top-five), Bowers (has done absolutely nothing in the AHL and was a 28th pick), Turris (playing 4C in Nashville on a big contract), Hammond, and a 3rd rd pick. We got a 1st (Thomson), and two prospects.

Karlsson has been atrocious and injured since joining SJ. He signed a long-term deal on a team that is ageing and getting worse. We got Norris and their first, plus a few other pieces. It wasn`t an awful but there are pieces.

I think the Stone one hurts the most but Brannstrom will be good and is the best piece back out of all of these traded. Give him 40 games before you judge him. He`s looked better every game he`s played.

Yeah, it's all true. Karlsson signing here long term was probably the wrong idea. He's declining, there's no question, he's close to 30 - which is a scary age for NHLers.

Stone...Diddle man, I wish we signed him. Brannstrom will be a big player in the NHL imo, but I want Stone back Sad

Brannstrom I can see a real Kimmo Timonen/Krug comparison. A good 40+ point guy - and I don't think you can judge him after 40 games, more like 2 seasons.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Again. You’re evaluating too far ahead. The quality of player and assets we received for the quality of the player we gave up at the time : arguably the best DMan in the league was lob sided against us.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Karlsson's best years are behind him. To lock him up for 8 years at $11M per didn't make sense for the organization, who won't be competitive until at least year 3 of his extension. H

Look at Minnesota. They're screwed. So are LA and Chicago. They signed their older, regressing players for way too long. San Jose is well on their way to that same situation. Couture is signed til he's 36, Kane until he is 33, Marleau and Thornton are both 40, Karlsson until he is 36, Burns until he is 39, Vlasic until he is 38.

Don't discredit Dorion so much on this trade. He got a lot of value for an oft-injured player entering the last year of his contract who wanted max money and had a NMC. He got equivalent to two 1st rd picks, 1 2nd rd pick, Balcers is a top-nine forward, De Melo is an NHL d-man, and Tierney can be flipped for another pick. It's a deep draft this year and SJ's pick will be a good one. Jury is still out on Norris but he'll be an NHLer also.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Again. You’re evaluating too far ahead. The quality of player and assets we received for the quality of the player we gave up at the time : arguably the best DMan in the league was lob sided against us.

I have a question:

Why did no one else step up and offer more?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

-oft-injured defenceman with major surgeries
-entering UFA status
-wanted max deal
-No move clause

how many teams can accommodate that in their cap, have the assets to get something done, and want to take a chance on him leaving? Not many..

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

2 1sts, 2nd, top nine forward , NHL dman, depth forward. It's not an awful haul. Could have been better and can be better if balcers, norris and the pick amount to something

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pretty fun game from what I saw.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

I have a question:

Why did no one else step up and offer more?

They did. But Dorion waited too long and got backed into a corner

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Pretty fun game from what I saw.  
Couldn’t watch it but 52 saves for Nilsson... he must have to quite the job. Gotta get those number down though

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Even though a loss nice to see Nilsson bounce back after his first game

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Pretty fun game from what I saw.  
Couldn’t watch it but 52 saves for Nilsson... he must have to quite the job. Gotta get those number down though

Big time. He had a solid third for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 28 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum