GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Lagoon
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 27 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I thought Brannstrom looked pretty good yesterday. His in-zone play needs improvement but I think that will come with time. He's also missing on a few breakout passes but he's playing with noticeably more confidence.

PP is 0 for 17. Faceoff percentage has also been quite bad. This is where someone like Brown would be really useful. If the marketing for this year is "the kids are alright" they should get more kids in the lineup aside from Brannstrom.

It's no wonder the Sens can't hold leads into the 3rd when their 4th line gets relatively no playing time. You can't expect the other three lines to perform well when they're logging too much ice time:

Sabourin - 5:37
Boedker - 6:12
Szwarz - 3:42

At those ice times you may as well call up Brown and just use him on the PP. I imagine the Sens call up Brown and Batherson for good by the end of November. By then Boedker will be waived, and there will probably be another injury or two.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I thought Brannstrom looked pretty good yesterday. His in-zone play needs improvement but I think that will come with time. He's also missing on a few breakout passes but he's playing with noticeably more confidence.

PP is 0 for 17. Faceoff percentage has also been quite bad. This is where someone like Brown would be really useful. If the marketing for this year is "the kids are alright" they should get more kids in the lineup aside from Brannstrom.

It's no wonder the Sens can't hold leads into the 3rd when their 4th line gets relatively no playing time. You can't expect the other three lines to perform well when they're logging too much ice time:

Sabourin - 5:37
Boedker - 6:12
Szwarz - 3:42

At those ice times you may as well call up Brown and just use him on the PP. I imagine the Sens call up Brown and Batherson for good by the end of November. By then Boedker will be waived, and there will probably be another injury or two.

I’m not convinced he’s ready. I can’t say I watch Belleville games but from everything I hear he’s just not up to speed for the NHL.
Let him earn it with more than points in Belleville.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You really can't get shutout by the Minnesota Wild. But OK.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:You really can't get shutout by the Minnesota Wild.  But OK.

It was a 1pm game. Neither team looked good (or are good) but those 1 pm starts hurt.

Listen, I am okay with the Sens losing and getting a top-five pick. That said, I feel bad for the fans that go to games. My neighbour took his kids to the game, got out of the car (all four of them in Sens jerseys), and all had such sad faces. The kids were disappointed, but he was probably more upset for having spent money on that crap.

Everyone: the league, the coaches, the GM, the owner, and the players need to be better. This is entertainment. No one is being entertained in Ottawa right now. I expect ticket sales will fall even more as the bad weather rolls in in the coming weeks.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

It was a 1pm game. Neither team looked good (or are good) but those 1 pm starts hurt.

Listen, I am okay with the Sens losing and getting a top-five pick. That said, I feel bad for the fans that go to games. My neighbour took his kids to the game, got out of the car (all four of them in Sens jerseys), and all had such sad faces. The kids were disappointed, but he was probably more upset for having spent money on that crap.

Everyone: the league, the coaches, the GM, the owner, and the players need to be better. This is entertainment. No one is being entertained in Ottawa right now. I expect ticket sales will fall even more as the bad weather rolls in in the coming weeks.
That's what happens when you are rebuilding/tanking. The Leafs were the same way 4 years ago. It's not fun. It will get better when Batherson and Brown eventually come up, and then an elite top pick next year (most likely).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

That's what happens when you are rebuilding/tanking. The Leafs were the same way 4 years ago. It's not fun. It will get better when Batherson and Brown eventually come up, and then an elite top pick next year (most likely).

Yeah, it just really blows right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ya exactly. Right now this blows. And I am not sure it won't blow next season and the season after that. This team is making progress towards being good, but if the intent is to build through the draft and not be active via free agency we're in trouble.

The Sens need to have a really good off-season and a really active trade deadline.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I still don't mind watching the games though. They haven't played terribly. If they play like this when they have more talent, they should be a successful team down the road.

I've actually been impressed by a lot of players defensive abilities this year, but obviously we won't score a lot. Zaitsev is a big upgrade on Ceci and Brannstrom has been poised and solid in his own end.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Funny, I was hard on Brannstrom in the pre-season, but his outlet passes are fantastic. If we had better forwards, he'd already have 5 points.

I will continue to watch, but it sucks up a full night - even when I PVR and fast forward whatever Dung for brains they have on in the intermissions. Still...gotta watch, then the reward when we're good will be sweeter - and hopefully Dung for brains Melnyk will sell etc. etc.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think the most upsetting part is that we're losing while our best players are in the minors. I get why they're there and all but I'd be happier if I could watch them develop before my eyes vs watching highlights on youtube.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think the most upsetting part is that we're losing while our best players are in the minors. I get why they're there and all but I'd be happier if I could watch them develop before my eyes vs watching highlights on youtube.
Yeah. I get why they're there, but Batherson should have been with Tkachuk and White for 10 games before we sent him down, playing 15 minutes+ a night including PPs. He had a bad pre-season, but he came into camp in shape apparently, so it's just his rhythm is off. If I was coach I'd get him ready to succeed ASAP, not play him 5 minutes a night for 2 games, then send him packing. What good does that do? 10 games, if he isn't doing anything, then you send him down, but you crushed his confidence with the 5 minutes a night.

Same with Abramov. He was poor defensively, but you play the kid 8 minutes a night, do you expect him to make a huge impact in those 8 minutes? He scored too. I don't get why coaches are so adverse to playing young players. This is a young man's game. Get the kid in there, let him get to see what a top line in the NHL coming at you looks like, let him get chances with people who are not Sabourin.

I don't understand sometimes.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Dorion is an idiot.

He hired a coach who plays the kids just like Boucher did, and hired three defensive coaches on our coaching staff hence our horrendous powerplay.

He traded for Zaitsev the same way we traded for Phaneuf. Short-term contracts in exchange for a long-term average defender. At least we got Brown but he was poised to be traded anyway because of cap constraints. Probably could have gotten him for a 3rd rounder.

Batherson should be up here taking reps on a daily basis and playing 15+ mins a night. We already know that him and Brown can dominate in the AHL. It's not a timing thing. I hate that I am watching Tyler Ennis play on our top line.

The whole thing is ludicrous.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Dorion is an idiot.

He hired a coach who plays the kids just like Boucher did, and hired three defensive coaches on our coaching staff hence our horrendous powerplay.

He traded for Zaitsev the same way we traded for Phaneuf. Short-term contracts in exchange for a long-term average defender. At least we got Brown but he was poised to be traded anyway because of cap constraints. Probably could have gotten him for a 3rd rounder.

Batherson should be up here taking reps on a daily basis and playing 15+ mins a night. We already know that him and Brown can dominate in the AHL. It's not a timing thing. I hate that I am watching Tyler Ennis play on our top line.

DJ will play the rookies when it's time. He's giving prime minutes to Tkachuk, White and Chabot who are the most important pieces right now. Read some of his quote about young players. It makes no sense to have Logan Brown playing low NHL minutes right now.

I've actually been really impressed by Zaitsev and think he's worth his contract.

I don't think you can ask any more from the coaching staff right now. The team looks well coached to me so far. Talent will only get them so far though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Watching Brown play, if Toronto took a 3rd for him they're more morons than I think they are. That guy can PLAY. You know what player Toronto will need to succeed in the playoffs (other than a completely new set of defenders and an elite level backup goalie)? I think it's gonna be Connor Brown. When they come up against Boston again, I think they'll regret mismanaging the cap and letting this guy go. One of the few astute moves dorion (and I guess Smith) has done.

I'm very nervous about Zaitsev, but so far he's been more than capable - and unlike Phaneuf he's not old. I think it might work out, but it was a hell of a gamble. I sure as Dung would have been asking for a 2nd to go with that - if not more.

Ennis is fine as a third liner, but it offends me to see him playing in the top 6.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:

DJ will play the rookies when it's time. He's giving prime minutes to Tkachuk, White and Chabot who are the most important pieces right now. Read some of his quote about young players. It makes no sense to have Logan Brown playing low NHL minutes right now.

I've actually been really impressed by Zaitsev and think he's worth his contract.

I don't think you can ask any more from the coaching staff right now. The team looks well coached to me so far. Talent will only get them so far though.

Nevermind Brown, I think we all get that one. He's close, but he's not there yet.

But Batherson was mismanaged IMO. He needed to play and play huge minutes and be pushed and coached.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Zaitsev, but remember how long a contract he has.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:

Nevermind Brown, I think we all get that one.  He's close, but he's not there yet.  

But Batherson was mismanaged IMO.  He needed to play and play huge minutes and be pushed and coached.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Zaitsev, but remember how long a contract he has.

I honestly do not mind getting Batherson going in the AHL. What’s there to win here? I’d rather have a mix of vets and young players go through tough times but learning the ropes as it goes. There’s a good chance it won’t be long till Batherson is up. But the bodies are there in Ottawa. Might as well try to move them for assets. We’re also stuck with some guys like Boedker but he won’t be playing up for a top 6.

This is the kind of conversation we should be having by game 40 if it hasn’t changed. We haven’t reached game 10. Let’s take it down a notch.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Ya exactly. Right now this blows. And I am not sure it won't blow next season and the season after that. This team is making progress towards being good, but if the intent is to build through the draft and not be active via free agency we're in trouble.

The Sens need to have a really good off-season and a really active trade deadline.

Zero quality free agents will sign and play with Melnyk and the Ottawa organization. The only player Ottawa can attract via free agency is the Tyler Ennis’ of the league that are trying desperately to salvage another year in their NHL career, the Szwarz’ and Sabourin’s of the world trying to break into the NHL, or the Hainsey’s of the league trying to fight off retirement because they mismanaged their career earnings.

Ottawa has no choice but to build through the draft and sadly, trading. I say sad because they’ve already traded all their elite talent that should’ve brought healthy and franchise altering returns, and instead, they got jack-Dung from trading 6 of the league leaders in every statistical category.

Sorry, but that’s the truth and it can’t really be argued with any validity.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:

Nevermind Brown, I think we all get that one.  He's close, but he's not there yet.  

But Batherson was mismanaged IMO.  He needed to play and play huge minutes and be pushed and coached.

I honestly do not mind getting Batherson going in the AHL. What’s there to win here? I’d rather have a mix of vets and young players go through tough times but learning the ropes as it goes. There’s a good chance it won’t be long till Batherson is up. But the bodies are there in Ottawa. Might as well try to move them for assets. We’re also stuck with some guys like Boedker but he won’t be playing up for a top 6.

This is the kind of conversation we should be having by game 40 if it hasn’t changed. We haven’t reached game 10. Let’s take it down a notch.

I guess, but it's annoying as Dung that in a nothing year we didn't even look at our 2nd best prospect for more than 2 games and 10 minutes combined.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 27 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum