GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
Lagoon
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard that the habs might take on Turris’s contract(given that the preds eat a little salary).
Risky business. I’m not sure if it’s more than a rumour

I don't blame Montreal. I'd have liked Turris back - if we could have gotten a sweetener.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Has anyone heard that the habs might take on Turris’s contract(given that the preds eat a little salary).

I don't blame Montreal.  I'd have liked Turris back - if we could have gotten a sweetener.

I imagine he’d be better than last year. They’d have a lot of depth down the middle.

I think Id take a 4mill Turris. Especially if we wind up trading Pageau this year. Probably doesn’t finish his present contract though. He seems like a guy that will go on LTIR

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I don't blame Montreal.  I'd have liked Turris back - if we could have gotten a sweetener.

I imagine he’d be better than last year. They’d have a lot of depth down the middle.

I think Id take a 4mill Turris. Especially if we wind up trading Pageau this year. Probably doesn’t finish his present contract though. He seems like a guy that will go on LTIR

That was a trade I would have looked hard at if I was Ottawa, but then again Melnyk has no money.

Turris + Subban for Smith and Condon or the like.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

That was a trade I would have looked hard at if I was Ottawa, but then again Melnyk has no money.

Turris + Subban for Smith and Condon or the like.
I don’t know that would have done it but I get the gist of what you’re saying.

This off season could have been used to make some great moves for this rebuild. Melnyk cheaping out just prolongs the rebuild. Maybe if we pick really high next year and we have a different ownership structure we will be making different moves if opportunities arise.
In the mean time we will leave Dorion make half assed moves giving away picks to carry less salary for sideways moves on D.

Im interested to see that Brown kid though.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I think everyone will not hate Connor Brown. He’s decent.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I think everyone will not hate Connor Brown. He’s decent.

Yeah, I hear good things. Seems like a third liner type of guy. Lots of guys like that usually in the system but I hear he brings that extra something. Maybe he can be that complimentary player with two skilled forwards on the top two lines.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You hear mainly positive things about him. These are the kind of player who is buried with the depth in Toronto and will get a big chance to kill penalties and get some major ice time. 20 goals is absolutely attainable from what people are saying.

A collegue of mine called brown just another player and zaitsev a Diddle up, but was sincerely distraught that they lost hainsey, which I was surprised to hear.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I was thinking line combinations for some strange reason this morning. I guess I am trying to get myself excited for nothing.

Tkachuk-White-C.Brown
Duclair-Pageau-Batherson
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Ennis-Smith-Boedker
Extra: Veronneau

Chabot-De Melo
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Extra: Boro

The top two lines would be exciting to watch. The liens are somewhat balanced, have consistent size, and can all play two-way hockey. Tierney and Ryan seemed to have some chemistry last year and think Balcers adds some speed to L3, while the 4th line would be a pretty decent shutdown/defensive line - not much else.

Depending on how camp goes I can see Smith and/or Boedker on waivers soon after the start of the season, with Boedker being picked up. Veronneau can step into that 4th line role. Condon will be paid by the Sens and loaned to another AHL team similar to what happened with Hammond.

I don't see Brown being called up until he proves he can play defensive hockey. I can also see the Sens getting a 3rd first rd pick next draft somehow. Pageau would be the guy to bring in a pick to a team like Vegas or even the Bruins.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I was thinking line combinations for some strange reason this morning. I guess I am trying to get myself excited for nothing.

Tkachuk-White-C.Brown
Duclair-Pageau-Batherson
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Ennis-Smith-Boedker
Extra: Veronneau

Chabot-De Melo
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Extra: Boro

The top two lines would be exciting to watch. The liens are somewhat balanced, have consistent size, and can all play two-way hockey. Tierney and Ryan seemed to have some chemistry last year and think Balcers adds some speed to L3, while the 4th line would be a pretty decent shutdown/defensive line - not much else.

Depending on how camp goes I can see Smith and/or Boedker on waivers soon after the start of the season, with Boedker being picked up. Veronneau can step into that 4th line role. Condon will be paid by the Sens and loaned to another AHL team similar to what happened with Hammond.

I don't see Brown being called up until he proves he can play defensive hockey. I can also see the Sens getting a 3rd first rd pick next draft somehow. Pageau would be the guy to bring in a pick to a team like Vegas or even the Bruins.

yeah, I think that's about how I perceive the lines to look like, to begin with. We'll see how Brown shapes up in that role.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Those lines are good. I could see it playing out exactly like that.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:Those lines are good.  I could see it playing out exactly like that.

I am excepting big things next summer with two first rd picks and lot of money coming off the books at the end of this season. Sens should know what they have in terms of prospects. Off the books:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

I am not saying I wouldn't re-sign a few of these guys but that is a lot of money coming off the books that needs to be spent in order to hit the cap floor. Injecting Brannstrom, Brown, and a few other ELC's will not get us anywhere close to this. Even with Chabot making ~ $8M there is still a ton of money on the table.

Year after, Smith, Nilsson, Gaborik are off the books and Bobby Ryan potentially becomes tradeable.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Those lines are good.  I could see it playing out exactly like that.

I am excepting big things next summer with two first rd picks and lot of money coming off the books at the end of this season. Sens should know what they have in terms of prospects. Off the books:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

I am not saying I wouldn't re-sign a few of these guys but that is a lot of money coming off the books that needs to be spent in order to hit the cap floor. Injecting Brannstrom, Brown, and a few other ELC's will not get us anywhere close to this. Even with Chabot making ~ $8M there is still a ton of money on the table.

Year after, Smith, Nilsson, Gaborik are off the books and Bobby Ryan potentially becomes tradeable.

DeMelo and Pageau will both be making 4-5+ million, so take that into account, but yes, this is what Uncle Eugene was saying. This will be the time he'll spend money (lol).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

DeMelo and Pageau will both be making 4-5+ million, so take that into account, but yes, this is what Uncle Eugene was saying.  This will be the time he'll spend money (lol).  

you don't think they trade Pageau before the deadline if they can get a first and maybe more? I think i would. They should definitely have exploratory talks to see where he sits on staying and testing the market.
Barring a shift to a total opposite player, I think Demelo should be resigned. Probably around 3-3.5 mill on a 3-4 year deal.

Boro will be interesting to watch on whether they resign or trade. we have guys that can step into his position albeit not bring the same things but still

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

DeMelo and Pageau will both be making 4-5+ million, so take that into account, but yes, this is what Uncle Eugene was saying.  This will be the time he'll spend money (lol).  

Ya I don't think Pageau will be with the Sens at the end of this year. Not with Tierney as an RFA. White, Tierney, Brown, Norris, Chlapik, and Lafrenniere/Byfeld will be vying for center positions next season. De Melo may be back on a discount deal of $3M-4M x 3 but even then, if Zaitsev is good and Jaros takes a major step this year we may see the Sens signing a stop-gap or giving JBD a serious look next season. Or - they may try Brannstrom on his off-side. But I'd be more inclined to acquire a top pair RHD.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

Ya I don't think Pageau will be with the Sens at the end of this year. Not with Tierney as an RFA. White, Tierney, Brown, Norris, Chlapik, and Lafrenniere/Byfeld will be vying for center positions next season. De Melo may be back on a discount deal of $3M-4M x 3 but even then, if Zaitsev is good and Jaros takes a major step this year we may see the Sens signing a stop-gap or giving JBD a serious look next season. Or - they may try Brannstrom on his off-side. But I'd be more inclined to acquire a top pair RHD.

I'd resign Demelo just for the fact that we will have to expose people for the expansion draft and also he would remain a tradeable asset. if he continues to play the way he has with Chabot he will look like an attractive commodity to other teams. no reason to part ways with him.

I though Lafrenniere was a winger?
I think if somehow we trade one or both of Smith and Pageau, this will be Chlapik's chance to move up. last chance possibly too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Anderson - $4.75M
Condon - $2.4M
Boro - $1.2M
De Melo - $900K
Pageau - $3.1M
Boedker - $4M
MacArthur - $4.65M
Ennis - $800K
Hainsey - $3.5M
=> $25.3M

you don't think they trade Pageau before the deadline if they can get a first and maybe more? I think i would. They should definitely have exploratory talks to see where he sits on staying and testing the market.
Barring a shift to a total opposite player, I think Demelo should be resigned. Probably around 3-3.5 mill on a 3-4 year deal.

Boro will be interesting to watch on whether they resign or trade. we have guys that can step into his position albeit not bring the same things but still

I don't think they'll trade Pageau, no. I think they re-sign him. They've burned so many bridges, they risk living on an island now, one more could be the one that makes the fanbase fully turn on them.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

But where do you put him? You're going to pay him $4M to play on the 4th line? Our 4th line this year (Ennis-Smith-Boedker) makes more than double our first line. These are the types of contracts you regret having in a year or two from now. We lost all of our fan favourites who were significantly better players. What makes you think Pageau will be different?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Say we do take Byfeld or move Lafreniere to C, you're looking at White, Brown, Norris, Byfeld/Laf, Chlapik, Tierney as your centers. Maybe move Norris and White to the wings. You still don't have a spot for Pageau that warrants him making that kind of money in a bottom line role.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum