GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
Lagoon
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 54 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 42 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:I think it's brown that will end up being the victim.  And actually he could use to start the season in the ahl and be a call up.  Injuries have really messed with his development.

By all accounts he looked great the last half though.

He could use some humble pie too.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Methot just broke that Wolanin signed a 2 year deal (2-way in first year, 1-way in second).

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's a good deal. He has only played 40 games so didn't really warrant anything longer.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Batherson is in his second pro year, so some more AHL time is certainly not out of the question. Given that we aren't exactly flushed with top centers I think we'll see both Brown and Batherson in Ottawa before too long.

My preference would be to go with White-Pageau-Chlapik-Smith down the middle and only bring up Brown if there are injuries. He's missed a lot of development time due to injuries and is not ready. No idea about Norris, yet, but I suspect he's not much closer than Brown. Could well be wrong.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Forgot all about Tierney! Slide Smith to the wing.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:That's a good deal. He has only played 40 games so didn't really warrant anything longer.

Yeah but what a 40 game that was. I thought for sure he’d get a full 1 way contract and the dollar aunt isn’t much. Not even a million. He brings a lot more to the table than Boro.
Can’t complain too much but sometimes if you want players to stick around you don’t want to leave any sour taste in their mouth. Wondering what they will bring white at after this. Maybe we overinflated what we think he’ll get.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:That's a good deal. He has only played 40 games so didn't really warrant anything longer.

It lacks foresight in a big way IMO. Could have gotten him for 8 years and 4.5 I bet - and that would be a steal in about year 3 on. But whatever, we'll continue nickel and diming until they price themselves out of town.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

It lacks foresight in a big way IMO.  Could have gotten him for 8 years and 4.5 I bet - and that would be a steal in about year 3 on.  But whatever, we'll continue nickel and diming until they price themselves out of town.

Huh? That's insane! No team in the league is signing a guy like that for 8 years. That's just not realistic. He's played 40 games man. By the end of this deal he might not even be worth $4 million.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

It lacks foresight in a big way IMO.  Could have gotten him for 8 years and 4.5 I bet - and that would be a steal in about year 3 on.  But whatever, we'll continue nickel and diming until they price themselves out of town.

Huh? That's insane! No team in the league is signing a guy like that for 8 years. That's just not realistic. He's played 40 games man. By the end of this deal he might not even be worth $4 million.

Oh, I think he will be. We've seen a fair representation of this player IMO. But yeah, I guess he's played too few to really get a handle on it.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Wolanin is one of my favs, but an 8-year deal is really aggressive and would be precedent setting after 40 NHL games. Dorion has set enough negative precedent lately, he doesn’t need another.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah but what a 40 game that was. I thought for sure he’d get a full 1 way contract and the dollar aunt isn’t much. Not even a million. He brings a lot more to the table than Boro.
Can’t complain too much but sometimes if you want players to stick around you don’t want to leave any sour taste in their mouth. Wondering what they will bring white at after this. Maybe we overinflated what we think he’ll get.
I appear to have really made a mistake. I thought they'd at least entertain 8 year contracts with the players they feel are core players, but with the Wolanin signing, it appears we'll be playing it REAL safe and paying for it later. Fair enough, I guess.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:Wolanin is one of my favs, but an 8-year deal is really aggressive and would be precedent setting after 40 NHL games. Dorion has set enough negative precedent lately, he doesn’t need another.

Who are some of the really young Ds to sign long terms. I need a comparison here, but I can't remember now.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I appear to have really made a mistake.  I thought they'd at least entertain 8 year contracts with the players they feel are core players, but with the Wolanin signing, it appears we'll be playing it REAL safe and paying for it later.  Fair enough, I guess.

I am not sure why you would want to lock up somebody so unproven, who is not a Brannstrom type prospect, for 8 years. As Lagoon said, that would be very strange.

That would honestly be the same, or worse, than locking up Duclair to an 8 year deal (who is younger with way more games played)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I appear to have really made a mistake.  I thought they'd at least entertain 8 year contracts with the players they feel are core players, but with the Wolanin signing, it appears we'll be playing it REAL safe and paying for it later.  Fair enough, I guess.

I am not sure why you would want to lock up somebody so unproven, who is not a Brannstrom type prospect, for 8 years. As Lagoon said, that would be very strange.

That would honestly be the same, or worse, than locking up Duclair to an 8 year deal (who is younger with way more games played)

I guess. I remember watching him during the year thinking that if they could do it, they should, because this guy is gonna be a big time puck moving, point getting D-man, who I could really see getting big money after these two years. Say...5.5-6 X 7 is 40 ish million, if they had gotten him done for 8 X 4 now, you have to potential to save 8+ million. But 40 games is too few, I agree, so that's scrapped.

So, similar to Colin White I assume? More obviously, but 2-3 years?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I guess.  I remember watching him during the year thinking that if they could do it, they should, because this guy is gonna be a big time puck moving, point getting D-man, who I could really see getting big money after these two years.  Say...5.5-6 X 7 is 40 ish million, if they had gotten him done for 8 X 4 now, you have to potential to save 8+ million.  But 40 games is too few, I agree, so that's scrapped.

So, similar to Colin White I assume?  More obviously, but 2-3 years?

I also think it would be a mistake to sign White for so long, but I'd rather give him 8 years than Wolanin. I think White would get something from 2-4 years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

But, I am very much in the sign them long when they're young (coming off ELCs) and form your team, instead of floundering around all the time with guys coming up for arbitration, guys coming up to UFA like Stone. Sign them long, get your ducks in a row. And no, I'm not talking Duclair, I'm talking the top young players on the team.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Wolanin is one of my favs, but an 8-year deal is really aggressive and would be precedent setting after 40 NHL games. Dorion has set enough negative precedent lately, he doesn’t need another.

Who are some of the really young Ds to sign long terms.  I need a comparison here, but I can't remember now.

You want just young D names? Florida signed Ekblad and Matheson long-term, Vegas did with Theodore and Arizona with Chychrun. Those are the most recent ones I can think of and only Ekblad and Matheson were 8 years I think.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I get where your head is at but I think it's too early to do that with Wolanin. Seeing that he has a two-way I really don't know if he starts with Ottawa this season. It buys a year more of development and gives Boro, Chabot, and Hainsey first crack at LHD. Don't forget they also signed Alsing and Ebert who may push for spots, as will Szwarz, while letting the prospects all develop together in Belleville.

Next year Boedker, Ennis, Boro, Hainsey, Anderson, Condon MacArthur are all UFA's and won't be back. Duclair may or may not be qualified and Tierney is trade bait. I imagine they may trade or re-sign Pageau and De Melo also. So there will be a ton of openings heading into next year.

I really don't think it is anyone's plan for the Sens to be good this year, hence why I think Batherson starts in the minors. I think they also try Brannstrom on his off wing which apparently he likes playing. Let the kids all develop together and push for a Calder while the Sens push for a top three pick.

It is going to be a painful year so we may as well let our young guys develop some chemistry and show us what they're made of.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 42 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 54 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum