GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
TheAvatar
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
Oglethorpe
Ev
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Lagoon
DefenceWinsChampionships
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:I’ll be fine with it if they send him to the OHL. The only option that scares me is straight to the NHL.

Any pro option scares me. He’s not ready. Anyone that says otherwise is just trolling. Let him try and have one dominate season in his lifetime and let him play more than the roughly 40 games he’s used to. This is getting out of control. I don’t mind the pick, but come on, he’s needs minutes, experience, reps. Let him try and score more than 8 goals and doninate his peers for a season. It’s such an easy decision.

I can’t wait for Ottawa to make the wrong one.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It’s also a little weird that kalrsson won’t be talking to the media until training camp.

It’s almost like he’s playing his cards in a way that he expects to be traded. It doesn’t bode well for anyone hoping the relationship between the club and kalrsson heals at all.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I’ll be fine with it if they send him to the OHL. The only option that scares me is straight to the NHL.

Any pro option scares me. He’s not ready. Anyone that says otherwise is just trolling. Let him try and have one dominate season in his lifetime and let him play more than the roughly 40 games he’s used to. This is getting out of control. I don’t mind the pick, but come on, he’s needs minutes, experience, reps. Let him try and score more than 8 goals and doninate his peers for a season. It’s such an easy decision.

Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t make it the wrong decision or trolling. Time will tell if he’s pro ready and I certainly think he is due to the type of player and person he is . Saying he’s not ready is false since we don’t know. The sens and their scouts and staff have more information in their pinky fingers than we do in our brains. Legit hockey people said he was one of the most pro ready players in the draft .

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:It’s also a little weird that kalrsson won’t be talking to the media until training camp.

It’s almost like he’s playing his cards in a way that he expects to be traded. It doesn’t bode well for anyone hoping the relationship between the club and kalrsson heals at all.

How is that weird? Most players aren’t doing anything until camp.

I think talk of a bad relationship was highly exaggerated anyway

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t make it the wrong decision or trolling. Time will tell if he’s pro ready and I certainly think he is due to the type of player and person he is . Saying he’s not ready is false since we don’t know. The sens and their scouts and staff have more information in their pinky fingers than we do in our brains. Legit hockey people said he was one of the most pro ready players in the draft .

I agree with just about everything. What gives me concern is the track record of this player development team. I'm in the "Go Brady!" camp.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

https://amp.reddit.com/r/OttawaSenators/comments/979q6x/some_very_interesting_information_from_a_local/?st=JKU7B6I2&sh=bd9b6317

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

I agree with just about everything. What gives me concern is the track record of this player development team. I'm in the "Go Brady!" camp.

Well, yeah.  We shouldn't be worried about if Tkachuk is ready to play in the NHL, what we should be concerned about it the Senators' ability to help him develop properly.  Things have not been going well in that department for years. Also, I have no idea what to expect from our coaching staff this season in terms of player usage and I also don't know if they're the right guys to help young NHLers develop.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I saw something on Reddit regarding someone who claims to have been told that a sale is imminent. Essentially this person's friend has business with the Sens but was told to hold off because of possible changes. Paraphrasing quickly - I believe 6th Sens shared the link which I cannot access at work.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Come on. At the risk of giving you the tiniest bit of credit, you of all people should know the difference between media hyperbole, draft day hype and the truth. The truth is this was a very weak draft and there are about 2 pro ready players in it. So sure, Brady was one of the most pro ready players in the draft. Doesn’t mean he is ready though. Seeing Brady in the pros all year would be a terrible mistake and it doesn’t even matter if he lights it up for his first 9 games. He’s not strong enough to play the way he’s accustomed to, he needs to find his offence, he needs to dominate his peers and he needs to play more games then the roughy 45 he played last year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Come on. At the risk of giving you the tiniest bit of credit, you of all people should know the difference between media hyperbole, draft day hype and the truth. The truth is this was a very weak draft and there are about 2 pro ready players in it. So sure, Brady was one of the most pro ready players in the draft. Doesn’t mean he is ready though. Seeing Brady in the pros all year would be a terrible mistake and it doesn’t even matter if he lights it up for his first 9 games. He’s not strong enough to play the way he’s accustomed to, he needs to find his offence, he needs to dominate his peers and he needs to play more games then the roughy 45 he played last year.

I'm surprised you're saying this given you always yell at us for stating things as fact. We don't know if he's strong enough yet, and nothing that happened in a rinky dink summer tourney shows how pro ready a player is. If he lights it up in the first 9 games I don't see how that doesn't matter. It would show he's ready, not that he would be expected to produce like that they whole year.

I also don't think it was a weak draft. The Top 15 was very good. People will always hype the next year's draft more than the current draft, just the way it is.

Just wait and see what happens with him. They aren't going to rush him unless he's ready. It's that simple.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

tim1_2 wrote:
Well, yeah.  We shouldn't be worried about if Tkachuk is ready to play in the NHL, what we should be concerned about it the Senators' ability to help him develop properly.  Things have not been going well in that department for years.  Also, I have no idea what to expect from our coaching staff this season in terms of player usage and I also don't know if they're the right guys to help young NHLers develop.

IMHO Brady is close to being physically ready. He's bigger and stronger than most people realize (he's almost 200lbs). Mentally he's ready, no doubt, and the family he grew up around has prepared him for this. The question is offensviely is he ready? His defensive game is much better than just about every Senator right now, but if he can't score he'll struggle in my opinion. This team is going to need young players this year, we all know it, and those young players are going to be looked at for scoring.

Can he play in the NHL...I believe so, but I don't think that's where he should be. I'd rather see, Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Wolanin, Jaros, Gustavsson and Tkachuk all playing in Belleville. They grow together, dominate and then come up next year ready to set fire to the league.

But to answer the question, I don't doubt for a minute whether Tkachuk can play in the NHL this year...yes he's that good.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Same thing happened with the Sens calder team. All played and developed together.

I am torn whether he should be playing in the O or the A next year. He's more NHL ready than Lazar was. But he should have a season in the minors no matter what. Maybe the A is the best fit to get him ready speed and size wise? But offensively I think the O makes the most sense. I am of course basing this off an 8 goal NCAA performance but an argument can be made that he should be playing in the A which is a step up from NCAA which is a step up from the CHL. He was one of the better players in the WJHC which was CHL level opponents so maybe he is at level in the AHL?

I am equally worried that Colin White will be under developed. He is "NHL ready" but his skills can use refinement. Maybe he could develop in a top-six role with consistent minutes next season in the NHL next season but his offensive instincts didn't look good in Belleville or Ottawa last year.

If he does play in the AHL he better be playing with Brown and Batherson. No excuses. You get that chemistry going and hope that's an NHL line in a year or two from now.
So maybe you put him opn

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The debate of Tkachuk is kind of pointless right now.

Step #1: Sign a pro contract - he's done that
Step #2: Training camp/exhibition games
Step #3: Regular season NHL games (max of 9)
Step #4: Make a decision

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:The debate of Tkachuk is kind of pointless right now.  

Exactly.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think we all agree that we don't know what will happen. I am just of the opinion that he should dominate a league before being a regular in the best league in the world. Maybe the AHL is the best place. There is just more of a risk of his offensive skills not being developed there than the OHL where he could dominate and there won't be any concerns about his offensive abilities going forward.

That said I think Belleville can be successful next season. A lot of new higher-end players, two better goalies on a full-time basis, etc.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I saw something on Reddit regarding someone who claims to have been told that a sale is imminent. Essentially this person's friend has business with the Sens but was told to hold off because of possible changes. Paraphrasing quickly - I believe 6th Sens shared the link which I cannot access at work.

I posted the link just a couple posts above you

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:The debate of Tkachuk is kind of pointless right now.  

Ev beat me to it. I wanted to say, exactly.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Are we in agreement with Pronman's ranking in the Athletic?
Sens ranked 13th for prospects.

1. Tkachuk
2. Chabot
3. Brown
4. Formenton
5. Chlapik
6. Batherson
7. White
8. Wolanin
9. Gustavsson
10. Tychonik

Sponsored content