GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

They are not going to trade Karlsson for *just* picks. They will get a top six player in return. They will get better goaltending than last year. Boucher will not be allowed to use rest as a weapon. Bottom six will have an infusion of young guys with speed, skill and a desire to prove themselves. White will make the team out of camp and price Pierre was right all along. Chabot will add 5-10 lbs in the summer and play big minutes alongside Ceci. Callups will be Brown and Formenton and Batherson, and not Jimmy Oh-my-God Brien. Both goalies will rebound, even if a little, but no way will they be bottom of the league again.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Plus, let's face it, for about 70 games Karlsson was either mediocre or not in the lineup. It's not like we are taking a bottom 2 team and removing a Norris finalist from their lineup.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:They are not going to trade Karlsson for *just* picks. They will get a top six player in return.  They will get better goaltending than last year. Boucher will not be allowed to use rest as a weapon.  Bottom six will have an infusion of young guys with speed, skill and a desire to prove themselves. White will make the team out of camp and price Pierre was right all along. Chabot will add 5-10 lbs in the summer and play big minutes alongside Ceci. Callups will be Brown and Formenton and Batherson, and not Jimmy Oh-my-God Brien. Both goalies will rebound, even if a little, but no way will they be bottom of the league again.

I agree with a lot of your player success and deployment for next year, but I dont know how many times I have to say it but Formenton, cant be a “regular” callup. He either makes the team again, but sticks for the whole year this time or gets sent back to the OHL. There is a very simple to understand agreement between the NHL and CHL. We will see what happens with and/or without Karlsson. Saying we will get back a top 6 player back in return for Karlsson is unknown though and even if it was accurate, being happy with just that and picks is so wrong in my opinion. People are very quick to forget about greatness.

Last edited by Lagoon on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Plus, let's face it, for about 70 games Karlsson was either mediocre or not in the lineup.  It's not like we are taking a bottom 2 team and removing a Norris finalist from their lineup.

Thats right, Karlsson himself said he finally felt better later on in the year and it was noticeable on the ice. Downplaying how good Karlsson is is never a good look on someone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So much work for Dorion to do this summer. Wow. And he better do it right.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:They are not going to trade Karlsson for *just* picks. They will get a top six player in return.  They will get better goaltending than last year. Boucher will not be allowed to use rest as a weapon.  Bottom six will have an infusion of young guys with speed, skill and a desire to prove themselves. White will make the team out of camp and price Pierre was right all along. Chabot will add 5-10 lbs in the summer and play big minutes alongside Ceci. Callups will be Brown and Formenton and Batherson, and not Jimmy Oh-my-God Brien. Both goalies will rebound, even if a little, but no way will they be bottom of the league again.

Formenton is not eligible for the AHL..........

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:So much work for Dorion to do this summer.  Wow.  And he better do it right.

Not much of a track record to judge him on but if past years of Ottawa Senators organization is any test.... we will likely see a quarter of what needs done.

They cannot fail with the karlsson trade. Multiple 1st rounders, blue chip D man prospect coming back and hopefully a top 6 Center. That’s what I’d be looking for to start the conversation for an extended kalrsson. It’s very close to what ended up going for duchene so I expect karlsson to go for more.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:

I never said anything about AHL. He could start in Ottawa like last year and make it. He can get a callup after his season is over.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:

I never said anything about AHL. He could start in Ottawa like last year and make it. He can get a callup after his season is over.

You said callup would be Formenton

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He can be called up on an emergency basis and after his OHL season is done.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:He can be called up on an emergency basis and after his OHL season is done.
thats not what you meant, but ok

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ended up going down a YouTube hole the other day, watching a pile of highlights from last year's playoff run. Yes, I'd like to keep Karlsson please. He was so good...if he can be close to that good, again, in the playoffs for us.....

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Ended up going down a YouTube hole the other day, watching a pile of highlights from last year's playoff run.  Yes, I'd like to keep Karlsson please.  He was so good...if he can be close to that good, again, in the playoffs 
People have very short memories and it is sad because Karlsson is so good and was injured this season. I always laugh when people say they want to trade the Karlsson from this season. They forget that when they do that, they are trading the Karlsson from all 5 seasons prior too. Ignorance is bliss.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Ended up going down a YouTube hole the other day, watching a pile of highlights from last year's playoff run.  Yes, I'd like to keep Karlsson please.  He was so good...if he can be close to that good, again, in the playoffs 
People have very short memories and it is sad because Karlsson is so good and was injured this season. I always laugh when people say they want to trade the Karlsson from this season. They forget that when they do that, they are trading the Karlsson from all 5 seasons prior too. Ignorance is bliss.

At the same time, I get where the concern comes from. He had pretty major foot/ankle issues, so who's to say that these don't become more of an issue over time?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Ended up going down a YouTube hole the other day, watching a pile of highlights from last year's playoff run.  Yes, I'd like to keep Karlsson please.  He was so good...if he can be close to that good, again, in the playoffs for us.....

The issue is if he’s not, that’s a ton of cap space to eat for one player. When karlsson is bad, he’s really bad (defensively).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Ended up going down a YouTube hole the other day, watching a pile of highlights from last year's playoff run.  Yes, I'd like to keep Karlsson please.  He was so good...if he can be close to that good, again, in the playoffs for us.....

The issue is if he’s not, that’s a ton of cap space to eat for one player. When karlsson is bad, he’s really bad (defensively).

Totally agree. If he had had another great year, then there's no argument that resigning him is the right call. It's a tough situation at the best of times, and now everything is just muddied that much more by Crazy Euge and the financial situation. If we had stable ownership, and the decision was made to move on from EK due to the massive impending cap hit and questions about how well he'll perform for the next 8 years, I could be sold on that. As things stand now, I'll be left wondering about the whole mess if and when we trade him.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

At the same time, I get where the concern comes from.  He had pretty major foot/ankle issues, so who's to say that these don't become more of an issue over time?
Remember when people thought Crosby was done because of concussion issues? 3/4 of a bad season does not change my opinion on elite talent, especially when the bad season still had him fighting for the league lead before personal and family issues shut Karlsson down for the season. Some  players are worth fighting for. Karlsson is one of them for me. I hate that Melnyk has even made this an issue. People are making and seeing an issue that isn’t there with Karlsson in my opinion. People need to relax. Unfortunately, I think it is too late because the damage has already been done by Melnyk and media. The result of this Karlsson situation will be one of the worst trades in history and that is my opinion. Imagine if the Penguins gave up on Crosby when his injury hampered his play and “threatened” his career. Patient GM’s and organizations win Cups. People laughed at Lombardi in LA. Cup win. People questioned Crosby. Two more Cups won. Look at Winnipeg now. Let’s not be impatient with Karlsson and team that has had success only 10 months ago.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:

Do you not realize that until now, all you’ve ever done is defend Karlsson’s defensive play in Ottawa? Or do you forget what you say because all you ever do is try to contradict others?

Last edited by Lagoon on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum