GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Go down  Message [Page 67 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

And that's not including his next contract which will be $7M+ and he's totally not worth that

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In a vacuum, trading Hoffman for the 10th overall isn't a terrible deal. In a vacuum, trading Karlsson because you think he's peaked and there are injury concerns and his contract has to be 8 years, isn't a terrible idea. It's hard to justify these things, though, when you think about how we were in the Conference Final a year ago. Why would the team need to be rebooted? I know we had a Dung year (in no small part due to all the distractions Karlsson was facing), but why rip things apart? Tampa didn't do this when they missed the playoffs a couple years ago....

In my opinion, if they wanted to shake things up a bit while maintaining a very competitive team, you ditch Smith, Burrows, and Harpur opening spots for a couple young guns, retain Karlsson and Hoff, trade Ceci, and sign or trade for a legit top-4 defenceman. That is obviously in an ideal world, and far from what we're apparently about to do.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm okay with trading Hoffman if we get a top two dman or forward with top six potential back. He's a one dimensional player whose one dimension can probably be replace by a player at less than half his cost

That's the paradox though, guys who have the skillset Hoffman have start at 5 million dollars. You don't snipe 29, 26, 27 and 22 goals and not get 5+ million. I'd go through 20+ goal scorers and their salaries in the NHL, but it's time consuming, but I guarantee most of them are at 5 million or will be on their next contract.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:In a vacuum, trading Hoffman for the 10th overall isn't a terrible deal.  In a vacuum, trading Karlsson because you think he's peaked and there are injury concerns and his contract has to be 8 years, isn't a terrible idea.  It's hard to justify these things, though, when you think about how we were in the Conference Final a year ago.  Why would the team need to be rebooted?  I know we had a Dung year (in no small part due to all the distractions Karlsson was facing), but why rip things apart?  Tampa didn't do this when they missed the playoffs a couple years ago....

In my opinion, if they wanted to shake things up a bit while maintaining a very competitive team, you ditch Smith, Burrows, and Harpur opening spots for a couple young guns, retain Karlsson and Hoff, trade Ceci, and sign or trade for a legit top-4 defenceman.  That is obviously in an ideal world, and far from what we're apparently about to do.  

I think it’s fairly obvious that the one thing that has changed in a year is Melnyk not wanting/being able to spend.
It was clear what we needed going into the season. A top 6 LW and a top 4 D. None of those things were addressed because of money.
There is no way we can address these things with Melnyk unable to meet payroll. Problem is he likely won’t be able to 3 years from now either.

And we are stuck in a stupid situation. We can’t Tank because our 1st is gone and we can’t win because Melnyk can’t pay what’s needed. It’s pretty clear that our only option is to have a change in ownership but I have big doubts that will happen.

If we are to go the full rebuild mode is it worth it to stay somewhat competitive?
I’d love to resign duchene and stone but do they want to stay long term?

I’m not advocating a fire sale but maybe we have better think about shedding our most valuable assets in the next two years I’m order to draft. Will stone and duchene still be super competitive 4-5 years from now? Stone already has a history of concussion and duchene will be nearing his mid 30’s.

Sucks but we may need a very hard reset if we lose kalrsson. Like a very VERY hard reset. Like trade anyone that’s over 25 over the next 2 years.

-------

http://www.gmhockey.com/viewtopic.forum?t=6608

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 67 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum