GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 49 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:

This is rich coming from you. Have you placed your Vegas under bet for next without seeing their current run or off-season? I could go on.

Could we please just give this BS a rest? There's actually some good discussion taking place, but it keeps getting derailed by this crap.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

we should have brought in a top 4 LH D after we lost Methot. Did we? No.

Man, imagine if we had gone out and got a d-man that was an improvement on Methot last summer?  That would've gone a long way to changing how things went....  Ahhhhh what could've been....
I didn’t think we needed to replace Methot at the time. I think Boro and Wideman’s injuries, combined with Anderson having his down year, but then being his worst ever for down years killed us. Now, for my pairings next year though, I want Schenn. Other than trading, he is where I would look.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Man, imagine if we had gone out and got a d-man that was an improvement on Methot last summer?  That would've gone a long way to changing how things went....  Ahhhhh what could've been....
I didn’t think we needed to replace Methot at the time. I think Boro and Wideman’s injuries, combined with Anderson having his down year, but then being his worst ever for down years killed us. Now, for my pairings next year though, I want Schenn. Other than trading, he is where I would look.

Not sure I understand the Schenn justification aside from him being a cheap addition. We need skill on our blueline. We have enough 'shutdown' guys. If he's a replacement for Ceci then I could get behind it but I don't see him being much better than Ceci IMO.

With Dorion and Melnyk echoing a 3-5 year rebuild I really don't see the Sens adding anyone via UFA. I see a lateral trade for Ceci (RFA for RFA) or something along the lines of Ceci for Klefbom. Then maybe signing Schenn makes sense to play with Chabot.

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Schenn

Not a bad top-four. The bottom pairing would be a clusterdung though: Harpur, Claesson (FA), Wideman (FA), Boro, Wolanin

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Not sure I understand the Schenn justification aside from him being a cheap addition. We need skill on our blueline. We have enough 'shutdown' guys. If he's a replacement for Ceci then I could get behind it but I don't see him being much better than Ceci IMO.

With Dorion and Melnyk echoing a 3-5 year rebuild I really don't see the Sens adding anyone via UFA. I see a lateral trade for Ceci (RFA for RFA) or something along the lines of Ceci for Klefbom. Then maybe signing Schenn makes sense to play with Chabot.

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Schenn

Not a bad top-four. The bottom pairing would be a clusterdung though: Harpur, Claesson (FA), Wideman (FA), Boro, Wolanin

With Jaros and Englund pushing for spots as well.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Schenn

With Jaros and Englund pushing for spots as well.

I don't mind therebeing lots of competition for the bottom pairing spots...that's fine.  I saw nothing from Claesson and Harpur this year that shows they should be in the NHL next season, which is very disappointing.  If we could have a bottom pairing of Boro and Wideman again, that'd be fine with me.  The problem will lie in the top 4 d-men, especially if Karlsson is gone.  You can likely pencil Chabot and Ceci in there (this should maybe be the 2nd pairing), but beyond that there's nobody if you think (like me) that Karlsson is getting dealt.  That's pretty scary.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Schenn

Nah, it is all just part of my grand vision to have this as my defence pairings for next year as well as the next 10.
Chabot and Karlsson
Dahlin and Schenn 
Wolanin and Wideman
Boro
Not much to ask for. I see balance there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

That's assuming we draft Dhalin and Karlsson stays. And Dorion buries Harpur who just signed a one-way contract.

Love where your heads up but the reality is it's not going to happen.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dorion said in his media availability this morning that Anderson and Condon will be back next year and he believes they'll both rebound.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I actually thought the townhall did more damage than good. My takeaways:

- A three to four year plan lines up with the plan to move to LeBreton. They will shed salary and call it a 'rebuild' until Melnyk sells the team to maximize his return. The lost money via parking revenues will be made up by being a bottom feeder salary wise. People will not go to the games. Saving $6 in parking isn't worth the price of admission to watch a team not be competitive after losing their star player. They missed the mark on this and need to stop thinking fans are stupid.

- It's a clear sign that Karlsson will be gone. In 3-4 years they'd have wasted Karlsson in his prime. What's the point of having him here if his best years are gone by the time they're ready to compete? They will tender him an offer (my guess 8 x $9M - low ball offer) and when he doesn't want to sign for that he will be traded. No point paying Karlsson $19/yr when he's 33+ while his best years are behind him. Alfredsson is the kid's mentor. Alfie left. No reason to expect Karlsson to take a hometown discount.

- They said Karlsson will not be traded at the draft. They're not looking for draft picks this year. They're looking for picks next year to make up for the Duchene trade. He will be traded after the draft and/or at the start of the season so that they can say they gave him an offer and put the blame on him. They will not risk losing him for nothing. The eventual trade will be for futures and will fit in with the 'rebuild' plan.

- Salaries will be cut and UFAs will not be added. If the plan is 3-4 years then they may as well let Chabot and whoever else develop. No point adding a LHD for Karlsson. I see Claesson not being qualified, Wideman walking as a UFA, and Ceci and Smith will be traded for picks/prospects.

- Ryan, Burrows, and Gaborik will not be bought out. It's a waste of money to buy them out especially if they need to hit the cap floor without Karlsson on the books. My guess is Gaborik is forced to go on LTIR or retire. Burrows will still have a 4th line / healthy scratch role, and Ryan will be relegated to third line.

- The kids will play. There is a reason Ottawa went nuts and added a lot of AHL depth this season (Leier, Scarfo, Sturtz, Moutrey, Pokka, Gustavsson, Luchuk, etc). They will also have Batherson, Formenton, Brown, and Luchuk eligible to play in the AHL next season. I expect Gagne, White, Chlapik, Englund, Jaros, to get real NHL chances next season.

- Boucher will be fired. I think they're waiting for the fallout of more coaches from the playoffs, for example if Washington gets eliminated first round, if LA gets eliminated, etc. Not a lot of good coaches out there right now...

Not a good time to be a Sens fan right now.

Yup that’s the way i feel. And Ev will make a point that they are spending when they give a contract to some 2 million dollar player this summer.
I think you’ll easily see the logic behind what they are doing when they hover at the cap floor next summer. I think the idea is to no finish last either since losing our 1st rounder will be gone.

I’m also not convinced we’ll resign duchene but I’m sure the org will try to. Another sign will be what contract stone winds up with. If it heads to arbitration it’s a terrible sign.

They are totally going to offer a contract to kalrsson. Most likely lowball him but even if they didn’t. This org is trying to rebuild when they should have been adding quality players and going for it.
But that would have cost this org too much. This should be a blip on the radar but it’s just that running a team at full value isn’t a budgetary feasibility for Melnyk.

Can’t wait til he sells. Like Tim though, I doubt that it’s this summer.

No, I will say that when both Stone and Duchene are locked up to long deals. Which is going to happen. Duchene isn't a liar. He's committed to signing here long term.

You pessimists will be proven wrong soon enough. This is a speed bump in a marathon, that's all it is. Whether Karlsson stays or not is irrelevant to our success, IMO. I don't think he's as important as people think he is at this point in time. He's not the player he once was.

I agree with Ev 100% here. It's time people start seeing that life with Karlsson has the potential to being a lot better than life with karlsson

I am not sure what you can get for Karlsson as a return, but if you can get a good return you take it.

A team like Philly would be infinitely better with Karlsson. They have Frost, Hart, Provorov, Konecny, Patrick, Sanehim, Vorobyov all coming down the pipes. They also have Couturier and Gost signed to great deals. They have the cap space to make Karlsson happen.

I am not a GM. I cannot negotiate with other teams. But the reality is every team is better with Karlsson. The Sens are who we are now with Karlsson. Thinking we will be better by extending a guy and not building around him is insanity. On the flip side, being good and adding someone like Karlsson makes other teams infinitely better. The Sens are a one trick pony. They need to improve in too many areas to justify the argument that re-signing Karlsson is a good idea. Get what you can for him via high-end prospects/futures and build the Sens the right way.

If they planned on being good before 3-5 years, they would make a few minor tweaks. Add a top-six forward and add a LHD to play with Karlsson. The fact that they are not doing this means they are good with the status quo and will not build around Karlsson. Which to me means Karlsson will be gone.

Except you don’t know if they are doing this or not. The off-season hasn’t even begun. How about you wait and see what happens
This is rich coming from you. Have you placed your Vegas under bet for next without seeing their current run or off-season? I could go on.

We get it Notch, enough alreadu.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:That's assuming we draft Dhalin and Karlsson stays. And Dorion buries Harpur who just signed a one-way contract.

Dream world, I know.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Dorion said in his media availability this morning that Anderson and Condon will be back next year and he believes they'll both rebound.
I believe this as well.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Dorion said in his media availability this morning that Anderson and Condon will be back next year and he believes they'll both rebound.
I believe this as well.

Kleinendorst stated earlier this week he wants an experienced goalie in Belleville. Therein lies the problem with this organization. Well not the problem, but a problem. B-Sens should be splitting Hogberg and Gustavsson 50/50 next season. If they bring back Taylor or doing anything to that extent I'd officially be at a loss of words.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I heard that KK sound bite too and I think I did this Facepalm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm sure KK will change his mind quickly if and when Gustavsson and/or Hogberg live up to expectations.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:That's assuming we draft Dhalin and Karlsson stays. And Dorion buries Harpur who just signed a one-way contract.

Dream world, I know.

The more word comes out and the more it becomes easy to read between the lines of the org, I don’t see why karlsson is still being put into scenarios.

“3-5 years until we contend”, would karlsson even stick around?
“Will offer him a contract but money might be an issue compared to what market value” do we really think karlsson will be giving out discounts?

Man, it’s all over the wall IMO.
He’s a goner.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Dream world, I know.

The more word comes out and the more it becomes easy to read between the lines of the org, I don’t see why karlsson is still being put into scenarios.

“Will offer him a contract but money might be an issue compared to what market value” do we really think karlsson will be giving out discounts?

He’s a goner.

I agree completely, I just don’t want to puke on my screen and make a permanent lineup without EK in it. I think he is gone to. A full rebuild is upon us a per Dorions’s spoken words you have quoted because that is exactly how long rebuilds take as many GM’s refer to when they rebuild.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

But at the same time, I think they will use him this season to make Colorado’s pick not lottery material.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Dream world, I know.

He’s a goner.

Just like bobby Ryan was for sure a goner and signing in Philly!

Yawn. Sens fans are such pessimists

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 49 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum