GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

The Sens have signed college free agent forward Andrew Sturtz to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2018-19.

Sturtz, 23, led the NCAA's Penn State University Nittany Lions in scoring during his junior season with 40 points, including 14 goals. Over three college seasons, the 5-8, 185-pound, Buffalo native scored 54 goals and recorded 104 points in 111 career games. His 54 career goals see him lead all-time goal scorers in program's history.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:You have some great opinions and vision. I think we will see some big changes this offseason, maybe not as massive as you are suggesting, unless Boucher is canned.

Sexton sent back down today. One callup left. Will it be used on Gustavsson like I hoped for a couple days ago?

Would you?

To EDM: Ceci and Hoffman
To OTT: Klefbom and EDM 1st

As for Gustavsson, I hope he doesn't get called up. He might win us a few games Smile Give White the chance to close the season in Ottawa and get some confidence

I personally don’t think we should be trading Hoffman (or kalrsson for that matter) but if those things are to happen I’m worried. Klefbom is a left handed Dman. Loosing ceci and kalrsson or even one of each leaves us with a hole on that side. I don’t like the idea of chabot playing his offside.

I imagine you meant left side with Oscar playing with karlsson. I’m still unsure. Creating a hole on the left wing.

We should be realistic, we’re not gonna starthalf à rookie team.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Lagoon wrote:You have some great opinions and vision. I think we will see some big changes this offseason, maybe not as massive as you are suggesting, unless Boucher is canned.

Sexton sent back down today. One callup left. Will it be used on Gustavsson like I hoped for a couple days ago?

Would you?

As for Gustavsson, I hope he doesn't get called up. He might win us a few games Smile Give White the chance to close the season in Ottawa and get some confidence

If, like you surmised and opined a couple days ago, Edmonton’s pick was in the 7-10 range, I would do that. That’s a hockey trade. Very lateral from both sides that need to do something. The bill is fit on both sides. More risk for us though and to me, that would signal a tear down.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:The Sens have signed college free agent forward Andrew Sturtz to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2018-19.

Sturtz, 23, led the NCAA's Penn State University Nittany Lions in scoring during his junior season with 40 points, including 14 goals. Over three college seasons, the 5-8, 185-pound, Buffalo native scored 54 goals and recorded 104 points in 111 career games. His 54 career goals see him lead all-time goal scorers in program's history.

Interesting. Will be good to see what he can do in the AHL. I hold little faith for college FA before they show us they can really put it together in the A. And even then, they have to get call ups to show they can really put it together. But eh! It’s a free prospect!

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:

Would you?

I personally don’t think we should be trading Hoffman (or kalrsson for that matter) but if those things are to happen I’m worried. Klefbom is a left handed Dman. Loosing ceci and kalrsson or even one of each leaves us with a hole on that side. I don’t like the idea of chabot playing his offside.

I imagine you meant left side with Oscar playing with karlsson. I’m still unsure. Creating a hole on the left wing.

We should be realistic, we’re not gonna starthalf à rookie team.

I also believe we should not be trading Hoffman or Karlsson. I really hope it doesn’t come to that. If we do, to me, we will also be giving up this years pick to Colorado. If all those three things happen, Boucher better leave as well.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:The Sens have signed college free agent forward Andrew Sturtz to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2018-19.

Interesting. Will be good to see what he can do in the AHL. I hold little faith for college FA before they show us they can really put it together in the A. And even then, they have to get call ups to show they can really put it together. But eh! It’s a free prospect!

He sounds like he’s a versatile, character guy who even though he graduated in only 3 years, still leaves being Penn State’s all-time leading scorer. He looks like a dwarf on the ice.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

He sounds like he’s a versatile, character guy who even though he graduated in only 3 years, still leaves being Penn State’s all-time leading scorer. He looks like a dwarf on the ice.

Look at Joel Farabee. Projects as a top ten pick. 5'11, 161 lbs. I read somewhere else he's only 155 lbs. Marner is 6'0 and 175 lbs. At least Sturtz is thick.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I never said looking like a dwarf is a bad thing, on the ice or off. I simply said he looks like one.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

It looks like we finally found our Gallagher, Kadri, Marchand that we secretly wanted Pageau to be. Sarcasm

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2018/02/08_Penn-States-Mayor-Makes.php

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:What value does that provide.  Everybody else has learned how to take Ev's posts for what they are.  His style is to state his opinions as facts, its no big deal, just a style.  Personal insults have no place here so I agree, the moron and psychopath comments need to stop as well.

When they’re warranted based on past behaviour, they should not stop.

Notch has been banned before and should be banned again, dudes a huge loser

Until that happens, I have zero interest in constantly getting called out for no reason just because I have a higher level of knowledge when it comes to the team than somebody else. And yes I am ignoring you but can read your post with the click of a button, lagoon. It’s obvious all you do is post and Dung on me literally every time I post something.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Look at Joel Farabee. Projects as a top ten pick. 5'11, 161 lbs. I read somewhere else he's only 155 lbs. Marner is 6'0 and 175 lbs. At least Sturtz is thick.

I have nothing against his size. I imagine him being a cannonball out there. I love free talent.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hoffman has a lethal shot, he's a good stick handler, and he's fast. I think we can all agree on that. He also leaves a lot to be desired. He's a predictable, shoot first player who's defensive play is poor and his play without the puck is questionable.

Chiarelli and the Oilers are in panic mode. They traded two top-six (I'd argue top three) forwards for a mid-level defenceman and a fringe top-nine forward. They need someone who can come in immediately and help offensively. I believe that player to be Hoffman, who I agree we don't have a replacement for internally, but will have scored less than 25 goals this season. He is overrated as a goal scorer - plain and simple. He's meshed well with Duchene but so has Ryan, Stone, Dzingel and just about everyone else who has played with him.

If you can get a top 10 pick for Hoffman you do it. The more cap room we save, the better.  If the season were to end today and the balls fall statistically, we would have  the 2nd and 21st picks. If we get Edmonton's 1st we could get the 9th pick and potentially use the 21st pick to move up in the draft. That's a lot of ammo and prospects coming down the pipe. Do we need Hoffman if Ryan stays healthy and plays with Duchene and Stone? Probably not. We have Dzingel who can score just as much as Hoffman as well.

The priority should be signing a partner for Karlsson and Chabot, and opening up as many roster spots as possible to allow some of our prospects to play. If we draft Zadina or Svech I expect them to play next season. Add in White and Chlapik, maybe even Gagne or Formenton and all of a sudden we have a young, fast team anchored by 4-5 vets.

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-White
Zadina-Chlapik-Gaborik
McCormick-Pyatt-Gagne

XXXXX-Karlsson
Chabot-XXXXX
Boro-Wideman
Harpur

I've always liked Dzingel, but he's never gonna be the scoring threat Hoffman is.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Would you?

If the Edm pick was top 5 yes.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I don’t think EDM would do it in the top 5. 7-10, I think they would.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I watched the Leafs game last night. It's pretty amazing to see how far they've come in two years. If we do get a top three pick, retain Karlsson Duchene and Stone, and are able to trade up into the top 10 (Pitt pick + Ceci, trade Hoffman, etc) I really don't think a long rebuild is required. Surely one or two of Batherson, White, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik will turn into top-six forwards? Chabot is a budding star. Add Dhalin, Zadina, or Svechnikov and there is no reason Ottawa isn't pushing for a playoff spot next year and back in the playoffs the year after. I'm actually pretty excited for what the future brings for this team.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I watched the Leafs game last night. It's pretty amazing to see how far they've come in two years. If we do get a top three pick, retain Karlsson Duchene and Stone, and are able to trade up into the top 10 (Pitt pick + Ceci, trade Hoffman, etc) I really don't think a long rebuild is required. Surely one or two of Batherson, White, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik will turn into top-six forwards? Chabot is a budding star. Add Dhalin, Zadina, or Svechnikov and there is no reason Ottawa isn't pushing for a playoff spot next year and back in the playoffs the year after. I'm actually pretty excited for what the future brings for this team.

I agree. There needs to be minor tinkering. I hope we get our internal youth injection, plus have an amazing draft day. That day should include trading Ceci and moving up with our Pittsburgh pick. I would want Hoffman to stay. I would also like to see Gaborik and Burrows gone somehow with no roster players coming back in their departure. I don’t like Melnyk being tied to this team anymore though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I watched the Leafs game last night. It's pretty amazing to see how far they've come in two years. If we do get a top three pick, retain Karlsson Duchene and Stone, and are able to trade up into the top 10 (Pitt pick + Ceci, trade Hoffman, etc) I really don't think a long rebuild is required. Surely one or two of Batherson, White, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik will turn into top-six forwards? Chabot is a budding star. Add Dhalin, Zadina, or Svechnikov and there is no reason Ottawa isn't pushing for a playoff spot next year and back in the playoffs the year after. I'm actually pretty excited for what the future brings for this team.

I agree. There needs to be minor tinkering. I hope we get our internal youth injection, plus have an amazing draft day. That day should include trading Ceci and moving up with our Pittsburgh pick. I would want Hoffman to stay. I would also like to see Gaborik and Burrows gone somehow with no roster players coming back in their departure. I don’t like Melnyk being tied to this team anymore though.

I'm okay keeping Burrows. It's one more season and he's not hurting anybody on the 4th line. He may actually be a pretty decent mentor for some of the younger players. I am okay with Pyatt in a fourth line/penalty killing role. I'll even entertain keeping Hoffman for the purposes of these discussions.

I do want to see Smith go. Bad season or not, he's too expensive for what he brings to the table and he's on a multi-year contract. I'm good with a 3rd rd pick. I can see Gaborik going to the KHL for more money or spending significant time on the IR. I don't see him as a buyout candidate with Melnyk. Ottawa may even be able to move him. His contract isn't terrible. I just don't see him here next season. I wouldn't bother re-signing Paajarvi and Claesson. Wideman is a maybe. I'd offer him a deal but someone will offer him a 3 year deal for more money. I'd be okay trying Pokka or Jaros in the bottom pairing. If there is a trade to be had for Anderson I also think you consider it. He won't win in a cup in Ottawa.

I also don't think Boucher is back. As stated before he's too afraid to play younger players due to 'trust' and on a rebuilding team that's not the right mentality to have for where Ottawa is. If you fire him you're eating one year of coach salary. Not the end of the world. In the off-season people will start firing coaches and it's the best time to bring in someone with experience. Who knows, Quenneville may even be available?

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Formenton-Pageau-Stone
Ryan-Chlapik-White
McCormick-Pyatt-Burrows

XXXXX-Karlsson
Chabot-XXXXX
Boro-Pokka

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Would you?

You got your wish. White was just called up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum