GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

f) I imagine Gaborik will retire and play in the KHL next season.

There's no way that Gaborik retires and walks away from $4.5M next season and just over $10M for the next 3 years total...are you crazy?

If he goes to the khl then he’d make just as much

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:

f) I imagine Gaborik will retire and play in the KHL next season.

There's no way that Gaborik retires and walks away from $4.5M next season and just over $10M for the next 3 years total...are you crazy?
Wait until he sees 53% marginal tax rate in Ontario. The tax free KHL might start looking good.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I doubt Gaborik retires, probably gives it another year but who knows.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dorions comments are telling. If karlsson is still there in July 1st (meaning if they haven’t had offered a return they like). On July 1st they will offer him a contract to try and make him a sens for life(no mention of salary and obviously you offer him a contract because it’s idiotic not too. Remains to be seen if karlsson can be convinced to stay in this Dung show. I personally hope so. Especially if as EV has said that he’s got very specific information on an ownership change)

Still, I’d love to see what that capitals deal and all the other ones looked like.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I am shocked the team isn’t sold or at least the negotiation phase.  Maybe Melnyk has decided to wait.  I truly believed the way no I got that the Lebreton approval was the final piece to start the sale.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oduya claimed by the Flyers.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:I am shocked the team isn’t sold or at least the negotiation phase.  Maybe Melnyk has decided to wait.  I truly believed the way no I got that the Lebreton approval was the final piece to start the sale.

It could be in the negotiation phase and we just don't know much about it. All the rumours about him selling came from somewhere....

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:I am shocked the team isn’t sold or at least the negotiation phase.  Maybe Melnyk has decided to wait.  I truly believed the way no I got that the Lebreton approval was the final piece to start the sale.

It could be in the negotiation phase and we just don't know much about it.  All the rumours about him selling came from somewhere....

Melnyk's best bet is to sell the team now based on the future potential value of LeBreton. The franchise may only be worth $500M but revenues generated from the sale of the current arena and revenues from the LeBreton project could easily turn this into a $750M+ sale . Again, the valuation would be based on a future value appraisal.

We often forget that Melnyk makes a ton of money based on concessions and ticket sales for concerts and events at CTC. I am not sure if that plays into the valuation of the Sens franchise or if this is calculated separately. I tend to think it is the latter. So while the Senators could be worth $500M perhaps everything else needs to be calculated on top of it.

Whoever is buying the team may need an assurance from the NCC that things are 100% a go. Right now Melnyk can't sell the franchise based on a promise that things will happen. So I fear until there are shovels in the ground that Melnyk will be operating on a shoe string budget. I am not sure how long this will take but imagine it will be another season or two until we see a sale. This based solely on my opinion and having worked with the NCC in the past for a very minor site build. It also explains why he wants to shed salary. I fear if the Sens did move Ryan and Karlsson they wouldn't even hit the cap floor next season. Or they'd be very close to it.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The 2 remaining hurdles for Lebreton are financing 12-18 months and negotiations with the city which could get ugly.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:The 2 remaining hurdles for Lebreton are financing 12-18 months and negotiations with the city which could get ugly.

With the current ownership group both could get very ugly.
It would be in the best interest of the NHL to force Melnyk's hand in a sale. Not sure what their rights are to do so

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:The 2 remaining hurdles for Lebreton are financing 12-18 months and negotiations with the city which could get ugly.

It would be in the best interest of the NHL to force Melnyk's hand in a sale. Not sure what their rights are to do so

I'm not sure how that works either. You know Bettman can't be happy with the current situation, but yeah, how does he go about forcing The Euge into selling?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

I'm not sure how that works either.  You know Bettman can't be happy with the current situation, but yeah, how does he go about forcing The Euge into selling?  

Not sure. But Euge owns a sports 'franchise' which means the corporate owner (in this case the NHL) has a say on what happens. They could have regulations in place which could force him to sell. So if the ownership group isn't meeting regulations, maybe there is something that could be done.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm interested to see if the Sens try to snag some undrafted NCAA players over the next few months. Anyone know who is available? I keep hearing the name 'Brickley' as a potential defenseman

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

I'm not sure how that works either.  You know Bettman can't be happy with the current situation, but yeah, how does he go about forcing The Euge into selling?  

Not sure. But Euge owns a sports 'franchise' which means the corporate owner (in this case the NHL) has a say on what happens. They could have regulations in place which could force him to sell. So if the ownership group isn't meeting regulations, maybe there is something that could be done.

well NBA forced an owner to sell, not sure if NHL has that kind of power.

But I've been hearing rumours of Melnyk selling for years. As far as I am concerned he will own the team until he dies and his kids will take over.

Kind of like Bill Wirtz who ran the Blackhawks into the ground until he passed away and his son took over.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

well NBA forced an owner to sell, not sure if NHL has that kind of power.

But I've been hearing rumours of Melnyk selling for years.  As far as I am concerned he will own the team until he dies and his kids will take over.

Kind of like Bill Wirtz who ran the Blackhawks into the ground until he passed away and his son took over.

From what I've heard his kids want nothing to do with the team

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hypothetically if Ottawa were to finish dead last, they would have the highest odds at getting a 1st overall pick. But if their ball was the first to be picked, how many spots would they drop down?

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hypothetically if Ottawa were to finish dead last, they would have the highest odds at getting a 1st overall pick. But if their ball was the first to be picked, how many spots would they drop down?
You can only drop 3 spots.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I hate even thinking about the draft lottery. A team that finishes dead last gets...what...a 20-25% chance of the first overall pick?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum