GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

There was an unusual number of pro scouts at the game last night. Vancouver is in a rebuild, of sorts, their only veteran pieces are the twins (they wouldn't move them) and Eriksson, who was not playing. So something could be up.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:There was an unusual number of pro scouts at the game last night.  Vancouver is in a rebuild, of sorts, their only veteran pieces are the twins (they wouldn't move them) and Eriksson, who was not playing.  So something could be up.

I think they know Chabot is ready. He's got 2 points in 3 games in the NHL with a +4. He's got 2 points in 2 games in Belleville with a -4. Yes, he will get more playing time in Belleville and can work on the small things, but on a bad team in Belleville is it really going to help his development? With Karlsson back I fully expect Ottawa to move a d-man. But no team would send out a series of scouts for someone like Wideman or Claesson, and I'd imagine Karlsson, Ceci, Phaneuf, and Oduya are relatively safe. They may even think Jaros is pretty close to being ready. So I too am a little confused on what they could be scouting. Maybe the Sens are trying to off-load Ceci but again, makes no sense unless they think Jaros is ready or they have Chabot or Phaneuf on their off wing.

I noticed Smith and Dzingel both had an extra step in their game last night and were the most noticeable players. I was not impressed by our 4th line which should come as a surprise to no one here. I think the $4.15M/annum combo of Burrows and Thompson is probably within the top 10 biggest wastes of money in the NHL. That's a discussion for another day. But when White comes back from his injury, where does he fit in? And why hasn't Brown been sent down yet - especially if Boucher wants to play 11 F - 7 D.

So ya, something is a little weird.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:There was an unusual number of pro scouts at the game last night.  Vancouver is in a rebuild, of sorts, their only veteran pieces are the twins (they wouldn't move them) and Eriksson, who was not playing.  So something could be up.

I think they know Chabot is ready. He's got 2 points in 3 games in the NHL with a +4. He's got 2 points in 2 games in Belleville with a -4. Yes, he will get more playing time in Belleville and can work on the small things, but on a bad team in Belleville is it really going to help his development? With Karlsson back I fully expect Ottawa to move a d-man. But no team would send out a series of scouts for someone like Wideman or Claesson, and I'd imagine Karlsson, Ceci, Phaneuf, and Oduya are relatively safe. They may even think Jaros is pretty close to being ready. So I too am a little confused on what they could be scouting. Maybe the Sens are trying to off-load Ceci but again, makes no sense unless they think Jaros is ready or they have Chabot or Phaneuf on their off wing.

I noticed Smith and Dzingel both had an extra step in their game last night and were the most noticeable players. I was not impressed by our 4th line which should come as a surprise to no one here. I think the $4.15M/annum combo of Burrows and Thompson is probably within the top 10 biggest wastes of money in the NHL. That's a discussion for another day. But when White comes back from his injury, where does he fit in? And why hasn't Brown been sent down yet - especially if Boucher wants to play 11 F - 7 D.

So ya, something is a little weird.

White fits in where Brown is, if they haven't traded for a forward. Brown is playing the next couple of games for sure.

Teams would absolutely send scouts for any type of player they're watching, Wideman and Claesson would definitely be scouted like that if teams were interested.

Thompson has fit in quite well, a mainstay on the #1 PK in the league.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

People much smarter than us felt that the team needed more veteran presence and especially PKing prowess, so they paid Burrows and Thompson what would be market value. And so far, the Sens PK has been rock solid. Coincidence? Maybe, but Thompson is a faceoff wizard who knows exactly where and when to be on the PK and will not hurt you 5 on 5.

Burrows is pretty much the reason Formenton is a top prospect in Ottawa's system. Formenton went to him and asked him for help and came to training camp in the best shape possible. Not bad for a 3rd liner in the OHL.

These are 'the guys' you have to have to win at this level. You can have all the Thomas Vaneks in the world and not ever win without the glue guys. We all know this, so it's beating a dead horse.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Thompson has been exactly what the team wanted.  Is Chabot playing RD in Belleville ?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, it basically sounds like the Sens are shopping for a forward, and we have an extra defenceman.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hard to believe they'd actually trade Ceci, although with his recent play his value would be higher than last season. I don't think we'd have that many scouts looking at someone like Wideman or Claesson or Boro. It must be Ceci.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hopefully they're looking for Duchene.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I'd rather resign Turris than trade for Duchesne.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Cap wise, moving anyone other than Dion or Ceci makes no sense

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:I'd rather resign Turris than trade for Duchesne.

Debatable, but Turris appears to be a heck of a teammate as well as a solid player, so I'd probably agree. That said, what I had in mind was going for the Cup and adding Duchene instead of taking Turris away.

A PS would be that we'd be Cussed cap wise as early as next year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:Cap wise, moving anyone other than Dion or Ceci makes no sense

It has to be Ceci. If there's a move to be made and Dorion fancies getting a high end forward, then there's no options really. Claesson is a solid player and I think he'll be a top 4 defender soon, but he doesn't have near the pedigree Ceci has - and Ceci's the illustrious right hander too. Jaros is going to be very solid and he's cheap and I'd guess his value is middling - worth way more to Ottawa than to someone else. Wideman might garner you a fringe top 6 player, but I don't know if that's what Ottawa needs personally. Dion won't waive IMO, so there's the guy who is looking for a huge raise, is playing good hockey and has the chance of being replaced internally and has high to very high trade value...all signs point to Ceci.

Package him up with a 1st round pick and/or prospect and you might be in the realm of a Drouin, maybe, I don't really know what trade values mean/are most of the time.

Ceci, 1st + something must be able to net you an impact forward?

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Ceci alone might get you a 2nd line winger, not a star but a guy with production like MacArthur.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:Ceci alone might get you a 2nd line winger, not a star but a guy with production like MacArthur.

Depends also on age and contract status.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd love to see Dorion go all in for Landeskog or Duchene, but I legitimately fear the asking price. Can't part with Chabot - and if you trade White or Brown + pick or whatever, you're gonna feel uncomfortable against the cap soon, but then it also says to Karlsson, let's go for it and gives him another reason to re-sign.

And it makes us fairly legit contenders at this point. System, deep at every position and goalies able to steal games.

So curious what Dorion will do. Go huge, go for a guy like Perron if LV eventually bottoms out or stand pat - which also isn't the end of the world.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I'd love to see Dorion go all in for Landeskog or Duchene, but I legitimately fear the asking price.  Can't part with Chabot - and if you trade White or Brown + pick or whatever, you're gonna feel uncomfortable against the cap soon, but then it also says to Karlsson, let's go for it and gives him another reason to re-sign.

And it makes us fairly legit contenders at this point.  System, deep at every position and goalies able to steal games.  

So curious what Dorion will do.  Go huge, go for a guy like Perron if LV eventually bottoms out or stand pat - which also isn't the end of the world.

I think LV was expecting to miss the playoffs and parlay their expansion draft picks into more futures. If they're in the playoff picture, who knows? I like Perron, though. Always have.

Again, I don't think you have to worry about giving up your best prospects outside of getting an elite player, which Duchene is not. Forget Landeskog, he doesn't want to leave Denver and they don't want to move him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:Ceci alone might get you a 2nd line winger, not a star but a guy with production like MacArthur.

Larsson for Hall.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Drake Batherson on a 12 game point streak (I think they tweeted) and has scored some dandy goals.

16 points in 11 game in the Q.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum