GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'm not sure why Dorion said he was 50/50 on making a trade yesterday.  He has a bit of a problem when he gets in front of a mic, saying things like "Chabot is NHL ready", etc.  Not a huge deal, and I find it amusing more than anything.  To say you're 50/50 on making a trade on a specific day just builds fan expectations that something big is going down.

Whatever, I think the time is fine as-is to start the season.

Exactly. It builds expectations then fans are let down when something doesn't happen. Honestly, had we traded for Duchene yesterday I'd have bought tickets to the game tomorrow. As a fan I am waiting for something big to happen. I was disappointed with their off-season moves and find I am constantly disappointed that they don't take a big shot and go for a cup.  

How many people here are going to tomorrow's game?

I am a pretty active Sens fan. I watch every game, buy merchandise, participate in forums, listen to Team 1200, my twitter feed is full of Sens news, etc. But I have zero interest in going to the game tomorrow. Even if I got free tickets I would debate not going. And honestly as a fan I am losing interest in a team that seems to just shoot for mediocrity and are content with the status quo. I still maintain that had Boston been healthy we would have lost first round. And there were plenty of times in the Rangers series where I thought Ottawa had no chance of winning the series. But Boucher has squeezed every ounce of talent and system into the players to the point where their success last year likely will not be repeated. I feel the same as a fan in that I feel as though I've been through the ringer cheering for this team and I am close to my breaking point. Sorry for the rant.

I am going to the game. You should go as well. To say you would go if they acquired Duchene is complete horsecrap to me. Why do they need to add Duchene for you to go to the games after the great season they just had? If you can afford it, go.

Personally I don't think you are a true fan if you practice what you describe here. I mean c'mon, you wouldn't go if you were given free tickets? I don't mind if people don't choose to go to games, but to say you will go only if they added Duchene is just...I can't even describe that.

My comment was more a statement to say that I am getting bored by this team and every time there seems to be some excitement it is met with disappointment. Until something happens to reengage my interest,I will support the team from home. The Sens are not exciting to me anymore. Like many of you here I can't justify spending the money.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'm not sure why Dorion said he was 50/50 on making a trade yesterday.  He has a bit of a problem when he gets in front of a mic, saying things like "Chabot is NHL ready", etc.  Not a huge deal, and I find it amusing more than anything.  To say you're 50/50 on making a trade on a specific day just builds fan expectations that something big is going down.

Exactly. It builds expectations then fans are let down when something doesn't happen. Honestly, had we traded for Duchene yesterday I'd have bought tickets to the game tomorrow. As a fan I am waiting for something big to happen. I was disappointed with their off-season moves and find I am constantly disappointed that they don't take a big shot and go for a cup.  

I am a pretty active Sens fan. I watch every game, buy merchandise, participate in forums, listen to Team 1200, my twitter feed is full of Sens news, etc. But I have zero interest in going to the game tomorrow. Even if I got free tickets I would debate not going. And honestly as a fan I am losing interest in a team that seems to just shoot for mediocrity and are content with the status quo. I still maintain that had Boston been healthy we would have lost first round. And there were plenty of times in the Rangers series where I thought Ottawa had no chance of winning the series. But Boucher has squeezed every ounce of talent and system into the players to the point where their success last year likely will not be repeated. I feel the same as a fan in that I feel as though I've been through the ringer cheering for this team and I am close to my breaking point. Sorry for the rant.

I am going to the game. You should go as well. To say you would go if they acquired Duchene is complete horsecrap to me. Why do they need to add Duchene for you to go to the games after the great season they just had? If you can afford it, go.

Personally I don't think you are a true fan if you practice what you describe here. I mean c'mon, you wouldn't go if you were given free tickets? I don't mind if people don't choose to go to games, but to say you will go only if they added Duchene is just...I can't even describe that.

My comment was more a statement to say that I am getting bored by this team and every time there seems to be some excitement it is met with disappointment. Until something happens to reengage my interest,I will support the team from home. The Sens are not exciting to me anymore. Like many of you here I can't justify spending the money.

I didn't realize they had to be "exciting" for you to go to the games. I guess you're not excited by Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, etc? And Ovechkin who is playing tomorrow?

Like I said I don't have any issue with people not wanting to spend the money (even though it's pretty cheap IMO), but I don't understand the "exciting" argument or the "waiting for a trade" argument. Those don't make me want to go a game or not. I go to support the team and watch live hockey. The problem with Ottawa is exactly what you are describing. People go to games based on who the opponent is, which is quite sad.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We just went to the ECF and came within a goal of challenging very seriously for a Cup. I don't understand anymore...what do people want? Would they be happier if we had the best D-man on the planet? Oh wait...

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

I didn't realize they had to be "exciting" for you to go to the games. I guess you're not excited by Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, etc? And Ovechkin who is playing tomorrow?

Like I said I don't have any issue with people not wanting to spend the money (even though it's pretty cheap IMO), but I don't understand the "exciting" argument or the "waiting for a trade" argument. Those don't make me want to go a game or not. I go to support the team and watch live hockey. The problem with Ottawa is exactly what you are describing. People go to games based on who the opponent is, which is quite sad.

Maybe Ottawa isn't the hockey market you think it is and the team over-achieved last year.

I am trying to ask myself why I, someone who has no kids with a family income of $180K+ a year, does not go to games. I am explaining that there is no draw to me to go to games and I am trying to determine why that is. Many of you see this team as a team that lost to the cup winners in game 7 of OT. And I do too. But I also see this team as one who got outshot and outplayed almost every night last season, and squeaked by a decimated Bruins team and a mentally defeated Rangers team. Many of the games were won in overtime and were one goal games signifying that they could have gone either way. I think most fans see it that way too which is why after the incredible playoff run last year seats are being tarped and continue to sit empty.

IMO they had a chance this off-season to do something to help put the team over the top and win this year. And they go out and sign Nate Thompson? I don't care too much for your argument that "he's one the best 4th line centers in the league". Tomorrow night he will be playing 3rd line center while Burrows who was traded for a top-end prospect, and Dzingel who was protected, play on the 4th line. I am glad you think the Sens getting a depth forward puts them over the top. But we have Smith on our top line and Ryan can very well put up 30 points again and disappear. So while he may be a great 4th line center, our offense, specifically the top six, who needed an upgrade having been in the bottom 20 in goals for last season is average at best. If you think Colin White will fix that you are wrong. I believe TSN ranked the top line 21st in the league. Maybe even worse. And a lot of media outlets and betting sites have the Sens missing the playoffs this year. But my opinion is invalid because I agree with them...

So I am sorry that my opinion offends you or hits you the wrong way. The reality is the arena continues to sit empty and the average fan (which apparently I am) continues to not support the team by not going to games. I don't care if Ovechkin is in town. I go to games to see the Sens play, not other teams play. The fact is I am not excited about their current roster and am disappointed with the direction that the team took by not trying to win now. Karlsson will make max money which will come at the expense of re-signing some good players. Here are the lines from this morning. What's exciting about them?

Smith-Turris-Hoffman
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Pageau-Thompson-Pyatt
Dzingel-Brown-Burrows

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

Maybe Ottawa isn't the hockey market you think it is and the team over-achieved last year.

I am trying to ask myself why I, someone who has no kids with a family income of $180K+ a year, does not go to games. I am explaining that there is no draw to me to go to games and I am trying to determine why that is. Many of you see this team as a team that lost to the cup winners in game 7 of OT. And I do too. But I also see this team as one who got outshot and outplayed almost every night last season, and squeaked by a decimated Bruins team and a mentally defeated Rangers team. Many of the games were won in overtime and were one goal games signifying that they could have gone either way. I think most fans see it that way too which is why after the incredible playoff run last year seats are being tarped and continue to sit empty.

So I am sorry that my opinion offends you or hits you the wrong way. The reality is the arena continues to sit empty and the average fan (which apparently I am) continues to not support the team by not going to games. I don't care if Ovechkin is in town. I go to games to see the Sens play, not other teams play. The fact is I am not excited about their current roster and am disappointed with the direction that the team took by not trying to win now. Karlsson will make max money which will come at the expense of re-signing some good players. Here are the lines from this morning. What's exciting about them?

You just got finished telling me that nothing excites you about the Senators. Were you not excited by the entire playoffs last season? Were you not excited by those overtime wins? Who cares if a lot of wins came in overtime? You just said you want to be excited. Well, that's the most exciting hockey you will ever get - gutwrenching, overtime hockey. I don't buy that the Sens were outshot and outplayed almost every night last season. That's complete Dung. All these excuses as to why they went far is Dung. They beat the Bruins and Rangers in 6 games. They didn't just squeak by. You're listening to the media and stats idiots way too much. I don't think they overachieved because I predicted they would make it as far as they did before the season started.

I'm not offended by anything you say, I just don't agree with your opinions here. They make zero sense to me as a die-hard fan who went to every playoff game last season and has half season tickets.

As for the lines, I actually quite like them. I like seeing a deep top 9 with Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard, Ryan, and Pageau in it. What's there to complain about there exactly? Three guys who can hit 60+ points and five who can hit 50+? Personally I think anyone who is holding out on a Duchene trade doesn't even realize who he is as a player.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and again I'd like to reiterate that I respect whatever choice you make, I am not saying you're a fake fan or anything like that, I just don't understand the arguments.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:I don't go to as money because I have a 5 year old and it's really, really expensive, but I'm going to tomorrow.  I wish more people would go, we're getting a bad name around the league and it's just plain crappy.

Try 2 in University and a new house.

Cost is the biggest reason. I simply don't have a lot of disposable income. And even if I did, we'd probably spend more on traveling. My wife is not a fan of hockey, age we're still busy with kid activities several days a week.

My daughter volunteered from the Fan Fest and got two tickets to the Leafs game. $30 parking fee for a pre-season game. Have to admit, that right there turned me right off.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The last time I went to a game and paid for parking the cost was $10. Man have times changed.
I just park at the palladium autopark and go when it's not the dead of winter

- Unknown Author

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I can see both points of view. I think the sens are missing a golden opportunity to improve their team if they don't actually try and win now while karlsson is under a cheaper cap hit. Even management said that's the goal. The only difference is I'm not sure it's still not the plan. I'd rather we don't give up on too many prospects to get there. Our first this summer should have totally been in play. But that wouldn't stop me from supporting the team. We can't all be Chicago or the pens. We have some talented and standout players and there's no saying we can't be better this year than last. 
I'm sure dorion will keep trying to improve the club but unlike GMs like MB in Montréal that are forced to make moves to improve but wind up depleting the system to take two side steps I think dorion understands he's gotta keep something for years to come. 
Burrows was a meh move but having seen Dalehm play I'm not even sure he makes the NHL one day. Skilll he has, im not sure he'll be able to handle the rigours of NHL.

So yeah, I think there are half way points that both arguments on this page are trying to make that miss the whole picture

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't you guys think stone and hoff and even Ryan will be better than last year? 

Pageau is ready to take it to another level if you ask me.
We're gonna score a lot more this year. Mark my words.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just took a quick look, Dzingel's 14 goals last season was 29th best for left wingers in the East. 15 teams, 4 left wingers each, so 29th is right on the bottom of the top half - i.e. a poor second liner numbers. If he's playing on our 4th line that's good, no?

Personally I always thought of him as a third liner, but with Mac out he was pushed up the depth chart.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Don't you guys think stone and hoff and even Ryan will be better than last year? 

I do personally. I really think - barring injury - Stone can take the next step in his game and create even more offence. His hands are very soft and he's got killer hockey IQ/instincts (from what I've seen). I stand by my prediction that he'll at least flirt with 80 points. And that filters down to Ryan as well. He was horrific last year, couldn't have been much worse until the playoffs, but if what he's said is true about him thinking about his mom and his personal issues every shift is a thing of the past and he's actually ready this year, he can be a whole new player. Maybe he's also ready to evolve a little farther on his earlier, more successful years. He's definitely got the skill and size and for a while he was playing with Stone in pre-season, perhaps there's something there.

The problem with being a big fan is that I can see the best case for a lot of our players. Hoffman looks like he's ready to get to 30+, Brassard will definitely benefit from having spent a year in the system and with Boucher. Pageau is awesome, depending on how big a role he plays, I can't wait to see him.

I also think both Ceci and Phaneuf can and will contribute much more offensively.
I think we score a lot more this year with what appeared to be a d-man flying in, retrieving the puck on the forecheck and making a player. Really smooth transition when that worked - which was without Karlsson and with Oduya and Chabot doing most of it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Don't you guys think stone and hoff and even Ryan will be better than last year? 

We say that every year about Pageau. He's well suited to the 3rd line and the PK, and that's where he should stay. I think Ryan will have an improved regular season. Stone and Hoff will continue to do their thing.....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

2 year extension for Boro, $1.2M per (same as now).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:2 year extension for Boro, $1.2M per (same as now).

Ok, I guess.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

Ok, I guess.

Yeah...I mean, the usual Sens Twitter suspects are having a meltdown about it, but spending $1.2M for two seasons on a 6th/7th defenseman who is also tough as nails is not going to have a negative effect on the team.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Ok, I guess.

Yeah...I mean, the usual Sens Twitter suspects are having a meltdown about it, but spending $1.2M for two seasons on a 6th/7th defenseman who is also tough as nails is not going to have a negative effect on the team.

I think that's an important designation for this deal to really work. He has to be a 6th or 7th D-man on any given night, so a healthy scratch from time to time. Otherwise, it's good. I'm falling into the category of wanting all D-men to have size and mobility and be able to outlet pass. Boro has the size and some mobility, but can't really make the breakout passes we all want. But then there's the fact that he leaves it out on the ice every single shift.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

2 year extension for Boro, $1.2M per (same as now).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum