GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:We're talking about Thompson, not Brown.  Actually it's Thompson (a center) who will get ice time that could otherwise go to Brown.

Both are playing on Thursday.

So what. When Brassard is back, Pageau will be 3LC leaving one center spot.  

Yeah what's your point? Thompson played wing at practice today

Thompson was brought in as a defensive/depth center who is also good on face offs.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:So dorion said there's 49% chance we add a forward today. Either a depth guy or a high end forward Ahhhhh!
The guy has a flair for the dramatic.

My guess is he made a pitch for duchene and Sakic has an internal deadline to trade him and he told dorion hell let him know by today.
Maybe Sakic realized he wasn't going to get his top D man and is now eying brown?

I bet that's exactly what happened.  Sakic priced himself out of the market, so now he's back for lesser offers.  Brown has shown a lot this pre-season and I would imagine Dorion is discussing this with him as we speak.

Hate to lose Brown, but I'd do it for the Douche.

A 6'6" 220 lb playmaker is pretty rare in the NHL. I'd be more willing to give up White to be honest. I look at it and ask myself whether I would prefer Thornton or Bergeron on my team. I also think Ottawa has depth at D and can afford to lose someone in a deal. Colorado only has 4 d-men on one-way contracts: https://capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

But both are 'cap teams' so I'd expect Ottawa to throw in a future and Hammond in order to shed some salary.

To Ottawa: Duchene, 3rd rd  pick
To Colorado: White, Ceci, Harpur, Hammond

I still feel like that's an overpayment to be honest but Ceci and Harpur could play in the NHL this year and it really doesn't kill Ottawa in terms of prospect depth.

Interesting, maybe.  Colorado's right side is set on D though, so Ceci would be a third pairing.  They need a lefty.

Yeah I don’t even think Ceci is part of the conversation at this point. Unless the avs plan on moving one of their right handed Dman somewhere else.

And as much as I can sympathize with the idea that people prefer brown over white, I’m sure that might be exactly what sakic thinks as well.
I felt that the team was showcasing brown a little bit more this preseason. Trying to pump up his vaue.

I think the deal winds up being Brown, ottawa’s First rounder and a Dman. Maybe Englund or unfortunately claesson.

But who knows. Maybe this doesn’t happen at all. 49% chance of happening is still 51% chance it doesn’t. And that percentage also involves adding a depth forward.
Still, I’ve been refreshing Twitter.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sens likely to start the season with players they have now. Could be posturing or maybe a deal fell through.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:Sens likely to start the season with players they have now. Could be posturing  or maybe a deal fell through.

I am a Sens fan. I am disappointed every trade deadline and every July 1st. I have learned not to expect anything.

That said, I am going to dread seeing my Score update pop-up and say "Ottawa signs (insert 4th line depth player) to a three year deal"

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Today reminded me of the infamous "trade" that Bryan Murray was supposed to make and never did.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes, we don't make big moves very often but we tend to outdo most clubs in terms of good moves. 

Who knows. Duchene is still an avs, won't be all season. Just as long as he's no habs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm really interested in seeing how the Sens will improve their PP/PK numbers. With 75.8 on the PK and 15.8 on the PP they had the league worst Special Teams percentage of 91.6% (PP+PK). The Jets were 93.2 to keep up a little company. Those are absolutely horrible numbers.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm not sure why Dorion said he was 50/50 on making a trade yesterday. He has a bit of a problem when he gets in front of a mic, saying things like "Chabot is NHL ready", etc. Not a huge deal, and I find it amusing more than anything. To say you're 50/50 on making a trade on a specific day just builds fan expectations that something big is going down.

Whatever, I think the time is fine as-is to start the season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Logan Brown swaps his #51 for #21, which his father wore for St. Louis.

Notable former Sens: Arvedson, Johansson, Martin's, Filatov, Kostka.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Arvedson wore 21 with the Nucks.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I'm not sure why Dorion said he was 50/50 on making a trade yesterday.  He has a bit of a problem when he gets in front of a mic, saying things like "Chabot is NHL ready", etc.  Not a huge deal, and I find it amusing more than anything.  To say you're 50/50 on making a trade on a specific day just builds fan expectations that something big is going down.

Exactly. It builds expectations then fans are let down when something doesn't happen. Honestly, had we traded for Duchene yesterday I'd have bought tickets to the game tomorrow. As a fan I am waiting for something big to happen. I was disappointed with their off-season moves and find I am constantly disappointed that they don't take a big shot and go for a cup.  

How many people here are going to tomorrow's game?

I am a pretty active Sens fan. I watch every game, buy merchandise, participate in forums, listen to Team 1200, my twitter feed is full of Sens news, etc. But I have zero interest in going to the game tomorrow. Even if I got free tickets I would debate not going. And honestly as a fan I am losing interest in a team that seems to just shoot for mediocrity and are content with the status quo. I still maintain that had Boston been healthy we would have lost first round. And there were plenty of times in the Rangers series where I thought Ottawa had no chance of winning the series. But Boucher has squeezed every ounce of talent and system into the players to the point where their success last year likely will not be repeated. I feel the same as a fan in that I feel as though I've been through the ringer cheering for this team and I am close to my breaking point. Sorry for the rant.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I'm not sure why Dorion said he was 50/50 on making a trade yesterday.  He has a bit of a problem when he gets in front of a mic, saying things like "Chabot is NHL ready", etc.  Not a huge deal, and I find it amusing more than anything.  To say you're 50/50 on making a trade on a specific day just builds fan expectations that something big is going down.

Exactly. It builds expectations then fans are let down when something doesn't happen. Honestly, had we traded for Duchene yesterday I'd have bought tickets to the game tomorrow. As a fan I am waiting for something big to happen. I was disappointed with their off-season moves and find I am constantly disappointed that they don't take a big shot and go for a cup.  

I am a pretty active Sens fan. I watch every game, buy merchandise, participate in forums, listen to Team 1200, my twitter feed is full of Sens news, etc. But I have zero interest in going to the game tomorrow. Even if I got free tickets I would debate not going. And honestly as a fan I am losing interest in a team that seems to just shoot for mediocrity and are content with the status quo. I still maintain that had Boston been healthy we would have lost first round. And there were plenty of times in the Rangers series where I thought Ottawa had no chance of winning the series. But Boucher has squeezed every ounce of talent and system into the players to the point where their success last year likely will not be repeated. I feel the same as a fan in that I feel as though I've been through the ringer cheering for this team and I am close to my breaking point. Sorry for the rant.

It’s still early. I’m sure Dorion is trying to improve our forward depth. Truth is, it’s very hard making trades in the nhl nowadays. Not many players get moved and when they do there are many assets getting sent. I would rather have another year of development for our youth than over spend on a trade that looks bad 2 years from now.

Im all for trades but for the right price. We have plenty of talent coming up and the only thing we should worry about is keeping Karlsson down the road. But as it stands today the team has delivered under Dorion and there is nothing to say that he won’t help reinforce the team if we falter.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I am also a huge fan, plus I live about 5 minutes from the CTC, and yet I only get to 2 or 3 games a year nowadays. For me, it's strictly a money thing. I have two kids, and it's tough to justify the money on tickets, especially since I can watch the game in glorious HD in my basement.

I don't agree that they're shooting for mediocrity though. It's tough to make a big trade - look at what the Avs are reportedly asking for Duchene - it's too much. So far, Dorion (and Melnyk) have ponied up the cash to resign key guys, and hopefully that continues. The core here is pretty strong and with some young talent to bolster the lineup (White, Brown, Chabot, etc), hopefully this is a competitive team for years to come. This is assuming Karlsson gets resigned.

I too feel that they were a little lucky to get as far as they did in the playoffs, but at the same time, they found a way to do it.

I'm optimistic heading in to this season...hopefully Karlsson is healthy, Anderson is around most of the season, and we should be playoff bound once again. Assuming we're a safe bet for the playoffs near the trade deadline, maybe that's when Dorion does something big.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I am going to the game. You should go as well. To say you would go if they acquired Duchene is complete horsecrap to me. Why do they need to add Duchene for you to go to the games after the great season they just had? If you can afford it, go.

Personally I don't think you are a true fan if you practice what you describe here. I mean c'mon, you wouldn't go if you were given free tickets? I don't mind if people don't choose to go to games, but to say you will go only if they added Duchene is just...I can't even describe that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't go to as money because I have a 5 year old and it's really, really expensive, but I'm going to tomorrow. I wish more people would go, we're getting a bad name around the league and it's just plain crappy.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

I am going to the game. You should go as well. To say you would go if they acquired Duchene is complete horsecrap to me. Why do they need to add Duchene for you to go to the games after the great season they just had? If you can afford it, go.

Personally I don't think you are a true fan if you practice what you describe here. I mean c'mon, you wouldn't go if you were given free tickets? I don't mind if people don't choose to go to games, but to say you will go only if they added Duchene is just...I can't even describe that.

My comment was more a statement to say that I am getting bored by this team and every time there seems to be some excitement it is met with disappointment. Until something happens to reengage my interest,I will support the team from home. The Sens are not exciting to me anymore. Like many of you here I can't justify spending the money.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

My comment was more a statement to say that I am getting bored by this team and every time there seems to be some excitement it is met with disappointment. Until something happens to reengage my interest,I will support the team from home. The Sens are not exciting to me anymore. Like many of you here I can't justify spending the money.

I didn't realize they had to be "exciting" for you to go to the games. I guess you're not excited by Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, etc? And Ovechkin who is playing tomorrow?

Like I said I don't have any issue with people not wanting to spend the money (even though it's pretty cheap IMO), but I don't understand the "exciting" argument or the "waiting for a trade" argument. Those don't make me want to go a game or not. I go to support the team and watch live hockey. The problem with Ottawa is exactly what you are describing. People go to games based on who the opponent is, which is quite sad.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We just went to the ECF and came within a goal of challenging very seriously for a Cup. I don't understand anymore...what do people want? Would they be happier if we had the best D-man on the planet? Oh wait...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum