GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

+7
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
Flo The Action
tim1_2
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 22]

2562017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

It's funny, the Habs have no problems with Russian Reclamation Projects (RRP tm) but having problems resigning their own Russians.

2572017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:00 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Or Jagr.  

Jagr and Jokinen I'd extend offers to.  

Markov I'd offer 2 years 13 million tonight.  A lot of money, but I want him here.
I don't get why you still like Jokinen. I don't see how he can have an impact. If anything he'd be a repeat of whatever we have on the third line. Jagr it can be argued could still be top 6 and it can be argued that even on the third line he could create his own space and generate his own offense. Heck he might even Pageau be more productive.
Im with you with Markov although I don't see why he deserves more than 4 mill a year. Dudes gonna be 39!

Still a major presence 5 on 5 and someone who could really rejuvenate our PP.  Plus, what better mentor for Chabot than him and Karlsson?   He's everything we want and need.

As for jokinen, he's a year removed from 60 points and last year was a trainwreck in florida.  He's shifty, responsible and could be had cheap.

I'd bet good money on him being a 50 point player on Ottawa if we signed him.

I guess it's a possibility. Maybe if the sens don't wind up resigning Stralberg they'll go after him

They'd be stupid to re-sign Stalberg. They already have 12 forwards on one-way contracts, and probably don't want to burn another year on White's ELC. IMO, let some of the kids play. For those worried about 'insulating' younger players, they need a chance to play. Paul, White, and McCormick are most likely ready. If anything McCormick can play on a 4th line. My guess is Paul makes the team out of camp with White being a quarter-season call up. So signing Stalberg to a 2+ year deal makes zero sense, especially with McCormick on a one-way contract the following year.

2582017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Markov I'd offer 2 years 13 million tonight.  A lot of money, but I want him here.
I don't get why you still like Jokinen. I don't see how he can have an impact. If anything he'd be a repeat of whatever we have on the third line. Jagr it can be argued could still be top 6 and it can be argued that even on the third line he could create his own space and generate his own offense. Heck he might even Pageau be more productive.
Im with you with Markov although I don't see why he deserves more than 4 mill a year. Dudes gonna be 39!

Still a major presence 5 on 5 and someone who could really rejuvenate our PP.  Plus, what better mentor for Chabot than him and Karlsson?   He's everything we want and need.

As for jokinen, he's a year removed from 60 points and last year was a trainwreck in florida.  He's shifty, responsible and could be had cheap.

I guess it's a possibility. Maybe if the sens don't wind up resigning Stralberg they'll go after him

They'd be stupid to re-sign Stalberg. They already have 12 forwards on one-way contracts, and probably don't want to burn another year on White's ELC. IMO, let some of the kids play. For those worried about 'insulating' younger players, they need a chance to play. Paul, White, and McCormick are most likely ready. If anything McCormick can play on a 4th line. My guess is Paul makes the team out of camp with White being a quarter-season call up. So signing Stalberg to a 2+ year deal makes zero sense, especially with McCormick on a one-way contract the following year.

White's year is burned regardless of where he plays.

Stalberg would still be a good add, even if it was just a PTO. It lets players compete for spots. Stalberg is definitely miles better than McCormick, for one.

2592017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Stalberg would still be a good add, even if it was just a PTO. It lets players compete for spots. Stalberg is definitely miles better than McCormick, for one.

It's about giving players a chance to develop. I believe this will be year 4 for McCormick in Bingo/Belleville + at least 3 years in college. At some point you have to give your guys a chance to play. Not having available roster spots will do nothing but demoralize certain players.

2602017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

It's about giving players a chance to develop. I believe this will be year 4 for McCormick in Bingo/Belleville + at least 3 years in college. At some point you have to give your guys a chance to play. Not having available roster spots will do nothing but demoralize certain players.

It forces them to work hard and get better. Either way I don't see McCormick as an NHL player knocking on the door.

2612017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I guess it's TBD but he will impress in camp this year 100%

2622017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

McCormick is way down the list imo. White, Paul a whole bunch of guys ahead of him.

2632017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

It forces them to work hard and get better. Either way I don't see McCormick as an NHL player knocking on the door.
And Anyways McCormick has his one way contract in year two. He's gonna get there. He can be a call up.

2642017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

One way doesn't meant guaranteed NHL

2652017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:One way doesn't meant guaranteed NHL

No guarantee but it sure means the sens org feel like his is ready to make the jump but might feel like they want to transition him there.
Having had a career year last year in what was a fairly average sens team I'm sure it's part of the reason they think he's ready for the next step.

2662017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:38 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

McCormick has been given opportunity at the NHL level...just maybe not quite enough ice time for his liking? He's a fringe NHLer like a lot of guys in the AHL. He can step in and not look out of place on the 3rd or 4th line, but there's nothing special there. A guy like Stalberg is certainly an improvement, as Ev said.

2672017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:McCormick has been given opportunity at the NHL level...just maybe not quite enough ice time for his liking?  He's a fringe NHLer like a lot of guys in the AHL.  He can step in and not look out of place on the 3rd or 4th line, but there's nothing special there.  A guy like Stalberg is certainly an improvement, as Ev said.  

Oh I still think we should sign stalberg to one year. I think McCormick is a call up at this point and of course he won't likely be anything more than a 3rd or 4rth liner. White will likely be ahead of him in call ups. But if the injury bug hits he's likely to come up.

2682017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just don't see what Stalberg brings that is *that much* better then our own prospects that can be had for a lot less. He is fast, big, and has experience. We have enough players with experience, now. A full three rounds of playoffs last year is just the most recent experience.

I'd much rather Colin White got the extra ice time.

2692017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I just don't see what Stalberg brings that is *that much* better then our own prospects that can be had for a lot less.  He is fast,  big,  and has experience.  We have enough players with experience,  now. A full three rounds of playoffs last year is just the most recent experience.

I'd rather have both and have depth and rested players. Rather not be left scrambling mid-season wasting assets on a trade.

2702017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:27 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:I just don't see what Stalberg brings that is *that much* better then our own prospects that can be had for a lot less.  He is fast,  big,  and has experience.  We have enough players with experience,  now. A full three rounds of playoffs last year is just the most recent experience.

I'd rather have both and have depth and rested players. Rather not be left scrambling mid-season wasting assets on a trade.

I'd rather not spend almost $2M on Nate Thompson

2712017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

I'd rather not spend almost $2M on Nate Thompson

What do you know about Nate Thompson?

2722017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I know that he has 8 points over his last two NHL seasons and only played 30 games last year. He missed this time with a torn Achilles and a torn labrum in his shoulder.

I know we gave a 33 year old a two year deal with a NTC at probably two times what he's actually worth from a cap perspective - though he did make this much over the last couple of seasons.

I know he will be getting a lot of ice time that I think should be given to someone with more than a two year future with the team for developmental purposes.

What I didn't know is how big of a guy he is.

2732017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 18 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I know that he has 8 points over his last two NHL seasons and only played 30 games last year. He missed this time with a torn Achilles and a torn labrum in his shoulder.

I know we gave a 33 year old a two year deal with a NTC at probably two times what he's actually worth from a cap perspective - though he did make this much over the last couple of seasons.

I know he will be getting a lot of ice time that I think should be given to someone with more than a two year future with the team for developmental purposes.

What I didn't know is how big of a guy he is.

A ferocious beast is what he's been described as. He'll play his arse off every shift, is a great PKer, leader, good to very good faceoff guy, amazing forechecker. He'll be big time missed in Anaheim - with a lot of their fans lamenting the fact that he's gone. Our PK sucked last year and as much as I enjoyed watching Chris Kelly...

I knew nothing about him and was upset we signed him, but I've since seen the light that comes from unjaded fans of teams he's played for.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum